1/4 Scale De Havilland DH60 Gipsy Moth build - Page 9 - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by DH60GM, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 11, 2017, 12:50 AM
Newbie RC Builder

1/4 Scale DH60GM Interplane Strut mounting

getting the interplane struts mounted.

? for the experienced builders out there...... 2-56 hardware be ok for the interplane strut inserts in the ends? Wasn't sure if I should switch up to 4-40
Last edited by DH60GM; Nov 19, 2017 at 08:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 11, 2017, 01:01 AM
Newbie RC Builder
Hi Mike,

Yup, the Waco was a sweet looking plane. Still remember going up in it a few times. Pretty cool plane.

Cheers
Terry
Nov 11, 2017, 01:06 AM
Newbie RC Builder
Hi Robin,

that would be awesome on the Waco info when I'm ready to tackle it, I have been collecting info on her the past few months. Talked with the fellow in Hawaii a few weeks back that purchased it from my Uncle after Gramps passed, he happened to still have it and a Stearman advertised for sale on Barnstormers. Was pretty cool talking with him
Nov 11, 2017, 01:21 AM
Newbie RC Builder
the one engine picture sure has fantastic detail, cant wait to see your DH60 when done
Nov 11, 2017, 11:14 AM
Beautiful craftsmanship!
Nov 12, 2017, 07:37 PM
Newbie RC Builder

1/4 Scale DH60 Gipsy Moth Interplane Struts mounted

Thank you Fred, its keeping me on my toes.

Finished mounting the Interplane struts earlier today, was nice getting rid of the temporary struts and clamps.
Nov 13, 2017, 02:14 AM
Wada ya mean, over engineered?
Looks great Terry! I might have to follow your lead on the struts as the strut attachments on my DH.60 are a weak point from what I've heard on the thread.
Latest blog entry: Top Ten Favorite Planes
Nov 14, 2017, 01:35 AM
Newbie RC Builder
Thanks Robin, are folks having trouble with the struts themselves or just the mounting points to the wings?

The 4-40 hardware thru the spars for the brackets and rigging wire attaching points and 2-56 hardware on the inserts worked out good, I really liked the 4-40 tie rod ends screwing onto the rods tight and locking the mounting plates in place. The 2-56 screws I used on the interplane struts are going away and will change them out to the 2-56 hex head stainless screws....a little stronger. I also reverted back and cut another set of Interplane struts and went with the 1 1/4" width and longer angle on the end cuts, looked a lot better than the 1" wide and 1" cut for angle

Messed around with some rigging tonight so I could recheck some measurements. That was pretty cool doing some of that tonight, time consuming mind you but so far so good.

Spent the rest of the night working on the jury struts. Once I have the jury struts done I will take some photos and measurements of exactly what I used and did then finish rigging this beast up for measurements on the wires.

Its slowly coming together the more clamps I remove...LOL

Took some more photos after I did some of the rigging and measurements
Nov 15, 2017, 10:02 AM
On the Seagull model several people have reported that the ply tabs the struts mount to broke during shipment. I got lucky I guess and just have one that's loose, but would like to see how they're attached and see if they need some reinforcement since it's a pretty critical mount but that would require doing some additional uncovering.

You're GM is looking quite stunning!
Nov 16, 2017, 12:23 AM
Newbie RC Builder
Hi Robin,

Thank you, that would be a bummer to open up the box and have the strut mounts broken before you even get in the air. Are you going to re skin the wings as well to have a look at the mounting or can it be down without opening it up?
Nov 16, 2017, 12:32 AM
Newbie RC Builder

1/4 Scale DH60 Gipsy Moth Jury Strut mounts/hinges

finished off the Jury Strut mount/hinges tonight, happy with how they turned out.

The Jury struts are turning into a project all of their own but so far so good lol.

I cut two 2" lengths of 1/8" stainless steel tube for the hinge points drilled for 2-56 hex bolts. The 1/8" rods will be welded into the 3/16" tube along with the steel rod inside the 1/8" tube for the internal length adjusting nuts and internal springs.

Will keep plugging along
Last edited by DH60GM; Nov 19, 2017 at 08:02 PM.
Nov 16, 2017, 06:07 PM
Hey Terry, Jury struts look great! Where do you source your stainless steel tubing from?

I think it might prudent to open up the bottom of the wings to have a look at how exactly they're mounted and see if I can reinforce them some how. But I'll have to take a look at the thread again first and see if someone posted pics of their repair before I do any cutting. My wood for the stringers arrived today along with the ply I needed to start on the motor!
Nov 17, 2017, 09:06 AM
Newbie RC Builder
Hi Robin,

The stainless steel tubes I ordered from Great Hobbies here in Edmonton, looking forward to seeing the progress on your GM.

I see more work when I look at this one, When I mounted the Jury struts on the under side of the upper wings the horizontal gap between the struts and wing ribs from the front and rear spars with the concave curvature of the ribs that come in the short kit really becomes apparent.

I looked at some of the pictures Ray had sent me of his build after he covered and painted his GM, there is quit the concave curve on the under side of the wings.

I think I'm going to remove the wings and spend some time cutting some balsa strips to take up the gap so the under side of the upper and lower wings are flat like the full size, just not sure how it will affect the flight characteristics of this 1/4 scale when its all done and ready to fly or if it would really make any impact at all to worry about
Nov 17, 2017, 07:42 PM
Hey Terry, not for your model, but you may want to add these photo's of DH.60G ZK-ADT to your collection (some awesome detail here) - http://www.network54.com/Forum/14967...+photos+ZK-ADT - Enjoy!
Nov 17, 2017, 10:21 PM
Newbie RC Builder
Thanks for the link Robin, all downloaded...fantastic close up detail