This thread is privately moderated by DH60GM, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 19, 2020, 11:42 AM
Wada ya mean, over engineered?
Terry, Have you ever heard of the Winchester Mystery House? I think you find the sound and feel of something under construction therapeutic lol!

This build is fantastic, the level of detail is amazing! I don't recall seeing the wing struts, have you built them and the attachments yet?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 19, 2020, 11:46 AM
I had got down these thimbles too and ended up not using them.
For making your own, take a 1/16 brass or copper tube, insert 1/32 braided wire in the tube. Then lay tube in a bed of balsa sheet where a groove has been cut earlier with the sharpened 1/16 tube. This ensure that the tube does not roll. Now start filing the tube till you reach the wire inside. Cut to length and form around a drill bit shank of suitable size. File the open ends to the thimble shape. Not my original idea. I learnt it from some one else.
Alternatively if you can slice the tube in half makes easy job.
Jan 19, 2020, 05:18 PM
Newbie RC Builder
Thread OP
Hi Robin, that's an awesome looking house, would hate to have the weekly cleaning bill

yup, made the struts and mounting hardware a couple of years back....will need to dig those parts out soon.

Hi Manish,

that sounds like a great idea, will give her a go here shortly . Will tweak a 1/32" thimble and see how it looks then try the 1/16" brass tube as I think I still have some downstairs from doing the slat linkage...just finished snow removal on the driveway...now its back to building lol

Warming up here as well finally..... -40c to -46c last week.....in the twenties this weekend.. not to bad out today

No go on tweaking the 1/32" thimbles and only had a bunch of 5/32" brass tube ...dang..... will pick up some 1/16" tube...….thanks again for that Manish
Last edited by DH60GM; Jan 20, 2020 at 01:11 AM.
Jan 25, 2020, 09:16 PM
Newbie RC Builder
Thread OP

1/4 Scale DH60 Differential AIleron Box work

Made a few changes to the differential aileron box's

I made a second set of arms from 0.125" aluminum plate, drilled and tapped for 2-56 for the sprockets and 1-72 for the round inspection covers, I cut the arms of the first set and used them as 0.125" spacer's to increase the main arm height and raised the dog bone supports for the sprockets 4 32nds up. Now I get full 360 degree rotation with out the chain catching on the arm in full rotation ...more than enough movement for up and the short travel down on the ailerons...feel 100% on these now with lots of room to spare for rotation

Onto to the lower wing finishing now

1/4 Scale DH60 Differential Ailerons (0 min 34 sec)

1/4 Scale De Havilland DH60GM Differential Aileron Gear box (0 min 26 sec)

and the 2 extra bearings used for the 1/8" solid brass idler bar mount bolted under the fuse on the floor pan with 2-56 bolts
http://shop.sdp-si.com/catalog/produ...=S9912Y-UBM-1F
Last edited by DH60GM; Feb 07, 2020 at 06:12 PM.
Jan 30, 2020, 10:16 PM
Terry, like everything else on this build, very nice. They seem to be operating very smoothly. Can't wait to see the video of them moving the ailerons!
Feb 08, 2020, 12:52 PM
Hey Terry, hope all is going well. Glenn posted the following on the DH.60 page.

"Finally found the brochure Belvedere had made for our 1929 DH60M Gipsy Moth, CF-APA.
We handed these out during the '73 Trans-Continental Air Dash & at follow-up Air Shows In Ontario & the East Coast.
(Thanks to the folding wings, we also had The Gipsy on display in several MALLS!)"
Feb 18, 2020, 03:46 PM
Newbie RC Builder
Thread OP

1/4 Scale DH60 Differential Aileron testing and setup

Hi Robin,

that's soooooooo cool, thank you for posting the brochure

Extremely happy with how the differential Aileron boxes have turned out, been playing around with different rod lengths. I can get up 3 1/2' up and over 1" inch down depending on how long or short the rod is. Will get them dialed in today

I used Peter F's idea on his Tiger Moth build for the hinge mounting and drilled out a small block of Oak drilled at 26 degrees for the template for the hinges. Cut out the original hinge pockets I did on either end and it worked out great. "What a pain in the butt that was lol"

I should have the carbon tube this week to slide over the 2-56 threaded rods and an assortment of hardware I need from Micro Fasteners

Can't get over how many tiny parts "and time" to make these come together and work as good as they do. Very Happy......will get on with final wing prep then covering this week as I'm holidays for a bit....rock n roll

I have another HUGE surprise coming on this build but I will wait to post pictures once the items are completed and mounted....cant wait

Some pictures and video from testing and setting up today. The chain guards I installed with tinny rivets worked perfectly and keep the chain in place on the sprockets.

Quarter Scale DH60 Differential Aileron testing P1 (1 min 14 sec)

Quarter Scale DH60 Differential Aileron testing P2 (0 min 28 sec)

Quarter Scale DH60 Differential Aileron testing P3 (1 min 14 sec)

Quarter Scale DH60 Differential Aileron testing P4 (1 min 30 sec)
Feb 20, 2020, 09:47 AM
It's nice to see all your sub-components starting to interact with each other! Once again I have to say 'incredible'.

The brochure wasn't all that spectacular (circa early 70's) but it was connected to your Grandfathers plane. I'll continue to share anything relevant that surfaces there with you.
Mar 15, 2020, 11:08 AM
Newbie RC Builder
Thread OP

Lower wing work

Still plugging away, couple hours every night.

Cant get over just how many small details and pieces for the lower wings

Will finish out the bottom of the lower wing covering today then mount the gear box hardware and cables and mount the upper and lower wings and get the final adjustments made at the cable attaching points to the fuselage control box in the cockpit and make sure the wings fold smoothly and the differential aileron cables keep tension correctly.

Time consuming process but absolutely fantastic when it all comes together.
Last edited by DH60GM; Mar 15, 2020 at 11:20 AM.
Mar 15, 2020, 09:23 PM
Yes, those last bits always take 80% of the time. Keep at it, one bit at time and finally it will done and flying. Looking good!!
Mar 17, 2020, 11:56 PM
Newbie RC Builder
Thread OP
Hi Manish,
thank you, hope all is well. Yes, tying to keep at it every night at least 1 to 2 hours. Coming together pretty good so far.
Mar 18, 2020, 10:53 AM
Yes all good, and thank God! for that. Tough times for the world.
How are things over there?
Mar 20, 2020, 11:10 PM
Newbie RC Builder
Thread OP
Hi Manish,

That's good to hear, going ok here given the current circumstances around the globe.

Finished covering the under side over the lower wings, just heading downstairs to mount all the hardware inside them and mount the uppers and lowers tonight and test out the swing...so far so good. Should be able to put the differential aileron setup to rest in the next couple of days and get to the fuse finishing and exhaust....

Quick Reply