1/4 Scale De Havilland DH60 Gipsy Moth build - Page 21 - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by DH60GM, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 09, 2018, 10:09 PM
Wada ya mean, over engineered?
Wow Terry, and I thought I was good at digging up details!
Latest blog entry: The Smaller E-flite T-28!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 11, 2018, 12:19 AM
Newbie RC Builder
Hi Robin, yup...lots of detail digging on this one for sure. Some days I think I should slap it together and be done with it....drive myself nuts trying to get as much working detail as possible...... its been a challenge. Kind of like ...drive by feel lol
Last edited by DH60GM; Apr 13, 2018 at 11:09 PM.
Apr 30, 2018, 09:22 PM
Newbie RC Builder

1/4 Scale DH60 Rear Stab Cable Guides

Hello, been a while since the last update. Finished off the cable guides using 2-56 threaded rod and a couple of shaped 24 gauge steel plates.

Last edited by DH60GM; May 12, 2018 at 04:02 PM.
May 01, 2018, 09:10 AM
Nice work Terry, what did use to make the 'ring' portion of the guide? Good to see you back on here!
May 01, 2018, 09:49 PM
Newbie RC Builder
Hi Robin, thank you....just some creative bending with the 2-56 rod around a screwdriver in the vise and then solder and quick clean up around the base on the small belt sander. I used small servo screw washers soldered on the base of the ring.
May 12, 2018, 01:09 AM
Newbie RC Builder
been working on the tail end for final finishing on and off the past couple of weeks, going to start covering tomorrow....keep plugging along .... the hinge pockets were a little tricky but turned out good

Ray...thank you for the tips on the cap strips and shaping.....just some more fine sanding left to go.
Last edited by DH60GM; May 12, 2018 at 03:57 PM.
May 12, 2018, 01:13 AM
Newbie RC Builder
once I have the tail end finished, covered and ready for paint I will move to the opposite end and mount the Saito and start working out the exhaust details....some pic's of the power plant I have for the Moth.
Saito 1.80 Gas, came with exhaust, mount and ignition system, nice unit...I also order a Evolution Telemetry adapter for the ignition box for RPM.
Last edited by DH60GM; May 12, 2018 at 03:59 PM.
May 14, 2018, 09:33 AM
Newbie RC Builder
happy overall with how the covering is going for my first time doing this, pretty cool stuff to work with but time consuming. Learning a lot
May 17, 2018, 01:53 PM
Look's really good for a first crack at it Terry! Just be careful not over shrink and pull a warp into the part your covering (especially the wing panels).
May 20, 2018, 12:10 PM
Newbie RC Builder

1/4 Scale DH60GM Rudder progress

Thanks Robin, the Solartex is really neat stuff to work with

A bunch more pictures , keep in mind that pretty much everything on this build has been changed from what the Northrop plans show. I think the only thing that follows the plan's 100% is the fuse to a certain extent. I have relied heavily on pictures and information from current Gipsy owners, experienced RC builder's and help from great folks on the forum here.

Just a couple of small details to finish on the rudder then cover it up today, going to change the mounting bracket on the tail wheel as well and try to get closer to a full size. Hopefully by next week I will be onto the Saito 1.80 and build the 1 into 4 into 1 exhaust pipe down the side. Time consuming getting everything just right as best I can......some days feels like I'm building a full size Moth with the time spent on this.

Rob.....thanks again for that tip on the CA glue for mounting holes, stuff works great.
Last edited by DH60GM; May 21, 2018 at 06:14 PM.
May 20, 2018, 12:31 PM
Beautiful Terry!
May 20, 2018, 06:42 PM
Newbie RC Builder
Thank you Fred, I have half the rudder covered....promised the wife I would make dinner then back to covering. I messed up and had the location of the bottom rib on the rudder 1/4" to high....had to quickly knock it off and put a new one in with cap strips a little lower. Will post some pics after dinner.

Terry
May 21, 2018, 05:55 PM
Newbie RC Builder

1/4 Scale DH60 Rudder Elevator and controls

Todays progress, pretty happy overall with the covering on the tail end.

I haven't done much shrinking on the Solartex yet, kept the iron approx. 110c and did the covering and then just a little bit of tightening here and there. Not sure if I should give it a few weeks to settle and then just a little tighter or leave well enough alone lol
Last edited by DH60GM; Yesterday at 07:06 AM.

Quick Reply