1/4 Scale De Havilland DH60 Gipsy Moth build - Page 17 - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by DH60GM, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 08, 2018, 03:58 AM
Failure is not an option
Quote:
Originally Posted by DH60GM
drilled, top plate made.... will soak it next with CA and on to the rear mount/support bracket thanks again guys
Terry - I would consider a small pc of 1/4 in front of the bracket between the two members running fwd and up against the TE where the brkt is. With the 3 holes there on a slender TE, you have a stress point in a bad spot.
Rob
to remove ads between posts
Feb 08, 2018, 09:19 AM
Wada ya mean, over engineered?
+1 on Rob's recommendation if nothing goes in that center slot. Also for hardening the holes make sure you get THIN CA (it's like water) and practice the technique on a piece of scrap with holes in it. Just apply a drop or two, let it wick into the wood for a few seconds then blow the excess out of the hole being careful not to let the vapor get in your eyes (that really smarts)! You may have to ream out the hole afterward but just make sure it's cured before you do otherwise you'll have to soak your bit in Acetone to get the CA off of it.
Latest blog entry: Seagull Gipsy Moth (back to it)
Feb 09, 2018, 01:13 AM
Newbie RC Builder
Hi Rob/Robin,

great suggestions thank you .........I have lots of room up the middle as nothing goes in there and on the underside to fill in for reinforcement under the 2 1/16" sheets on the left and right of center.

Was also thinking of a large 1/16" plate on the underside of the TE connecting a large section. Going to make a run into Great hobby's on Saturday and pick up some more 4-40 inserts and thin CA and just some other small odds and ends. Managed to get a couple of hours in tonight to start on the rear lower bracket...so far so good.
Feb 10, 2018, 04:48 PM
Newbie RC Builder
made another rear bracket today, was off a little bit on the measurements. Second one turned out great, went just a touch high on the back end and will build in an adjustment for tail plane angle into the fuse "sink the 4-40 inserts a little lower in the fuse" so if the trim needs to be tweaking when flying I can zero it out on the model when back home with shims under the mount.

Went with 2 4-40 inserts and holes in the lower part of the bracket as there was just not enough room for the 3 bolts holes/inserts to secure the bracket like the full size.

Off to the hobby store now to pick up some goodies. Time consuming building the small parts to get the right measurements on all components but cool when done
Feb 10, 2018, 05:21 PM
Wada ya mean, over engineered?
Looking good Terry, she's a work of art! Just wondered which gear you went with (both main and tail)? My buddy just called me and said he was heading home from a club meeting/flying session at the field with TWO 1/4 scale Tiger Moths! One look's like the H-9 ARF and the other appears to have been built from a kit (not sure of the origin) and the covering needs some attention. He had his 1/4 scale Cub out so his Dakota is a bit full at the moment.
Latest blog entry: Seagull Gipsy Moth (back to it)
Feb 10, 2018, 07:37 PM
Failure is not an option
Vintage biplanes of any reasonable size and larger are an exercise in "end fitting and weird bracketry fabrication". It's not only shocking how much of this stuff they had, but also how shockingly long it takes to replicate for a model. And the models are tougher. Off a 32nd" on the real one and it's just "noise". On a model, it's a fitting that doesn't fit.
Feb 12, 2018, 08:59 PM
Newbie RC Builder
thanks Robin,

Still the Hanger9 TM landing gear on the front for now, the rear tail wheel is just brass tubing and brass/steel brackets soldered/bolted together with a Dubro wheel and a spring " which I need to replace" works great till the wings are folded back then the spring collapses

yup, huge amount of hardware on the full size. Finding everything I make is in thousands of an inch, its amazing how little a measurement will throw out the measurements somewhere else a lot. Example....when I made the cabane struts, The left front lower hole was out approx. 0.068" where the lower mounting hole was drilled to bolt to the fuse and that threw out the upper left far end wing LE by 3/4 of an inch...drove me nuts till I found it lol.

I ended up making 3 new brackets for 3 different heights on the horizontal stabilizer, the one bolted on now as the starting point has 0.250" clearance from the top side of the fuse to the underside of the tail. The front of the tail plane is set at 1/2" for height. I made a balsa filler with 1/2" thickness at the front tapered down to 1/4" and the back with a 45 degree cut to mimic a full size underneath just in front of the rear tail bracket and angled on the sides as well.

This feels like doing the folding wings all over again LOL, onto the other brackets for the tail end then re-enforce all of these parts, nerve racking drilling the fuse at the rear for the 2 4-40 inserts but turned out good. This is as close as I can get to the full size, hopefully will do the trick
Last edited by DH60GM; Feb 13, 2018 at 09:05 AM.
Feb 16, 2018, 01:17 PM
Onward and Upward
Looks good, Terry.

Hopefully, you won't mind flying this, when you're done.

Randy (formerly Pilatuspc12)
Feb 17, 2018, 09:39 AM
Newbie RC Builder
thanks Randy,

Really looking forward to getting this in the air when its finished, been working on the small parts for the rear tail end the past couple of weeks here and there when I have time. Its slowly coming together
Feb 18, 2018, 03:37 PM
Newbie RC Builder

1/4 Scale DH60 Horizontal Stabalizer mounting

Just plugging along this weekend
Feb 18, 2018, 03:39 PM
Newbie RC Builder
still plugging along, time consuming making the small parts but so far so good. Should be able to put the tail end to rest after this long weekend

Last edited by DH60GM; Feb 18, 2018 at 04:19 PM.
Feb 20, 2018, 01:45 AM
Newbie RC Builder
just about on the home stretch for tail hardware, just hand filing and fitting the front lower fin mounting bracket.

Pleasantly surprised with how ridged and strong the tail end is, all measurements and angles worked out good. Still need to re-enforce a few parts and then add thin CA and re-drill.

Sure glad I didn't glue the 2 front mounting blocks in place yet, with everything bolted up and tight I need to add 1/16" to the front of the left block then good to go.
Last edited by DH60GM; Feb 20, 2018 at 11:57 PM.

Quick Reply