Any interest in a "Jupiter Giant"? - Page 8 - RC Groups
Sep 07, 2017, 01:22 PM
Also, what do you think I should do with the leading (and trailing) edges? just a simple rounding off or?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 07, 2017, 01:31 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott in NH
Also, what do you think I should do with the leading (and trailing) edges? just a simple rounding off or?
Poplar dowels bend nicely once they've been soaked, and therefore are easy to apply. Maybe a laminated bow for the wingtip.

Ken
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Sep 07, 2017, 01:47 PM
Restricted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott in NH
Nice plane and video - thanks for sharing Stephan!

mine is a little shorter span, about 203 cm and I am hoping to come in closer to 4.5 to 5 kg

Do you have more details about this 3x duck?

Scott
Thanks Scott,
mainly built from EPS and wooden reinforcement. Covered with 6mm Depron. Wing is build using Armin-wing method, only spars, no ribs. There's a cockpit with a pilot. (Harrison Ford, not sure whether this was a smart choice )
Lipo: 5s8000
Motor: Turnigy SK3 5055-430
Prop: 17x7 APC
Esc: 120 Amps
rgds
Stephan
Sep 07, 2017, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanB
Thanks Scott,
mainly built from EPS and wooden reinforcement. Covered with 6mm Depron. Wing is build using Armin-wing method, only spars, no ribs. There's a cockpit with a pilot. (Harrison Ford, not sure whether this was a smart choice )
Lipo: 5s8000
Motor: Turnigy SK3 5055-430
Prop: 17x7 APC
Esc: 120 Amps
rgds
Stephan
Well done!

A lot more engineering went into this scale up than my simplistic approach!
Sep 07, 2017, 06:34 PM
Retired CAD guy
Thomas,

That as a sweet build.
So many details for a non scale build ! ! ! !

With details/plans/dimensions I would be willing to kit it !

Or, failing any reasonable interest , then at least one for myself !

Best

Bob
Sep 08, 2017, 10:03 AM
So no surprise that I need to have one of my engineer friends machine an additional adapter to accommodate the 10mm hole in the prop.

The 8mm prop adapter shaft is to short to just sleeve it to 10mm, so I need to adapt the 10mm prop adapter that belongs to a 63 series motor (with a much wider bolt spread).

On a separate note, I am having an internal argument with myself whether the wings need additional reinforcement.

With the curve of the airfoil and the inner rib, the wing seems pretty sturdy and stiff, but obviously I can grab the end and twist it/bend it, but not a lot.

I am planning on using 3mm CF tubing to add struts like the JJ, but with more than glue attaching them to the plane - is this going to be enough? How about two per side?

My second thought, but obviously not the only other option, is to add a second layer to about 40% of cord on the bottom of the wings forming a KFm airfoil with the hope that besides adding strength it would also add lift and lower the stall speed - thoughts?
Sep 08, 2017, 10:28 AM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Personally, I think that since the plane is gonna be a slow flyer the added weight and strength of the extra foam won't be needed....but...at the same time a KFM 5a would give it a good amount of additional strength. But at that size and speed I believe you won't get much benefit in lift from the KFM piece. These are just my opinions, someone else with more experience could tell you more correctly what would be better to do.
Last edited by Timbo383; Sep 08, 2017 at 11:31 AM.
Sep 13, 2017, 09:00 AM
Here is the 10mm prop adapter I bought next to the motor adapter my friend made for me
Sep 13, 2017, 06:39 PM
And here it is mounted.

Don't you love the prop?
Sep 13, 2017, 07:14 PM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
You paid how much for that piece of junk!?......just kidding....looks like you got your moneys worth, and that's just by looking at the picture. I bet it is even better holding it in your hands. And I'm sure you had a hard time taking it out of your hands to set it down long enough to take the picture.
Sep 13, 2017, 10:16 PM
Looking good, both custom adapter and the whole prop-motor assembly
Sep 14, 2017, 09:58 AM
A quick eyeball estimate by holding the prop/motor assembly in the partially assembled fuselage indicates (surprisingly) that the firewall will be in the same location indicated in the enlarged drawing.
Sep 14, 2017, 10:13 AM
Retired CAD guy
You stole that prop from a museum, right ? ;>}
Sep 14, 2017, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
You stole that prop from a museum, right ? ;>}
I "borrowed" it from a Fokker