Any interest in a "Jupiter Giant"? - Page 2 - RC Groups
Aug 16, 2017, 08:01 AM
Retired CAD guy
Well I could sent you a PDF which Would "survive" !

I just usually put up r1024 rasters here due to file size.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 16, 2017, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
Well I could sent you a PDF which Would "survive" !

I just usually put up r1024 rasters here due to file size.
Sure - thanks!

I'll PM you my direct email.

Here is the original plan on my bedroom floor - just barely fits!

Scott
Aug 16, 2017, 10:32 AM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Scott, you obviously spend more on your planes than furniture. I wouldn't know what to do with that much extra space in my bedroom....oh wait, build planes.
I'll be watching this build with interest, defently want to see this one.
Aug 16, 2017, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo383
Scott, you obviously spend more on your planes than furniture. I wouldn't know what to do with that much extra space in my bedroom....oh wait, build planes.
I'll be watching this build with interest, defently want to see this one.
Funny that you should say that - my girlfriend (her house) and her sister are opening a home furnishing store and we have extra furniture everywhere except the bedroom!

I will make some progress soon, but it will be sporadic at best, so stay tuned in, but don't hold your breath!

Step one is going to be to buy some foam, cut the wings and see what it takes to have the under camber.

Looking at the now full size plans, the camber doesn't seem that bad, it might even roll in like it does on the Jr.

My biggest concern are ways to keep the weight down, especially when I put it on floats.
Aug 19, 2017, 11:40 AM
And so it begins!
Aug 20, 2017, 12:38 PM
Top wing! Lol
Aug 20, 2017, 03:04 PM
1st fuse side
Aug 20, 2017, 08:56 PM
If I missed it, sorry, but do you know how many sheets it's gonna take to do the whole plane?
Also I showed my wife this thread and gave her that look, and she said...no, no way, no space, no, no, no....so that's a 'maybe' if I'll get to build one of these.
Aug 21, 2017, 07:56 AM
Quote:
If I missed it, sorry, but do you know how many sheets it's gonna take to do the whole plane?
Also I showed my wife this thread and gave her that look, and she said...no, no way, no space, no, no, no....so that's a 'maybe' if I'll get to build one of these.
Post #5 shows the layout Bob did on two sheets

I did not want the fuse sides to be two pieces, so it may end up on three which is OK because I need to make floats anyway (and the foam is cheap)

There are several engineering challenges here due to the thickness of the foam, making the wings detachable, keeping it light, and having the right power combo, but besides the ridiculous size - that is the fun!

My SO laughed when I showed her the wing (I pretty much just started building it without telling her)!

Sitting on the ground this plane will be higher than my waist!

Oh and good luck with your wife!
Aug 21, 2017, 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott in NH
, but besides the ridiculous size - that is the fun!
What ridiculous size?
Aug 21, 2017, 10:46 AM
Quote:
What ridiculous size?
You're right, I just laid out the floats and they are only 56" long
Aug 21, 2017, 12:10 PM
Does anybody here have expertise in selecting the power (motor, prop, and battery)?

I've been doing some research so I can ask the right questions and understand the answers.

One formula says to divide WS by 5 to get the prop diameter, that would make it 16".

Very limited pitch in that size.

in 15" I can get 4, 5, or 6 in. pitch

in 16" and greater you are mostly limited to 6 in.

I'm not sure what the AUW will be.

The Giant Bipe has a claimed AUW of 7.5 lbs., but I am going to be on floats.

Still that seems heavy to me when two full sheets of foam is only 5.4 lbs.

Is there some rule of thumb for how much a battery, motor, prop, and gear will weight?

at 10 lbs. and 3S I am coming up with 455W 45A and 1818 g of thrust

What would the good and bad points of going to 4S be? Just weight, expense, higher rpm and lower amp draw?

I am somewhat at a loss for selecting 3S or 4S and kV based on the available props.

Thanks
Last edited by Scott in NH; Aug 21, 2017 at 01:00 PM.
Aug 21, 2017, 02:39 PM
With my new found knowledge (cough) am I wrong to look at a motor like this?

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...ner-600kv.html

With a prop like this?

https://www.amazon.com/XOAR-Scimitar...PJWWI+Scimitar
Aug 22, 2017, 10:59 AM
I Used To Have More Free Time!
Looks good Scott. I can not help you in the motor selection, but I would go with a very low kv and a long prop.
I believe in the Giant Bipe thread he mentions exactly what motor and prop he ended up with.
Aug 22, 2017, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRealEstateGuy
Looks good Scott. I can not help you in the motor selection, but I would go with a very low kv and a long prop.
I believe in the Giant Bipe thread he mentions exactly what motor and prop he ended up with.
Thanks

He doesn't mention it by name but included a now dead link.

Besides, I'm not hand carving a 24 x 2" pitch prop, but low pitch - large diameter props and low kV high wattage (on 3S) motors have very limited availability

I posted in the motors forum to see what they can come up with.

I really want a 20 - 22" prop!