Aug 19, 2018, 07:02 PM
Thread OP
That's what the main gear is.

It is the cross pieces that I accidentally ended up with the cheap ones.

Speaking of main gear, I think I accidentally put the wrong CF tubes on the front.

Seemed natural that the long ones would go in the front, but they go in the back.

I'll only have to cut the brace wires and drill out the rivets on one end to switch them, could have been worse.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 16, 2019, 08:48 PM
Thread OP
Guess what I am working on 😀
Jun 16, 2019, 09:26 PM
I Used To Have More Free Time!
'bout time!
Jun 17, 2019, 08:50 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRealEstateGuy
'bout time!
Ha-ha, yes it is!

I made/mounted the servo tray, made the front cover, and starting rounding the leading edge(s) of control surfaces....

The plan is to maiden it the week of 4th of July
Jun 17, 2019, 09:52 PM
I Used To Have More Free Time!
Nice.
I sure wish the Giant Bipe would come back to life too.
Jun 20, 2019, 08:19 PM
Thread OP
Started the motor for the first time - didn’t have the courage to go past 5/8 throttle!
Took a video, not sure where to host it (prefer not to use YouTube)
Jun 21, 2019, 07:44 AM
Build more, websurf less
Scott,

Great job so far. Should fly real slow. About the wing, and please indulge me if you've already answered; I did go through the entire thread (enjoyable).

Is the wing 1/2" foam? How did you get it to keep the airfoiled cross section? Is there a spar?

I've been wanting to make some kind of giant foamie for awhile and have always been stuck on the wing design. Last time I tried to make one from about 30 cafeteria trays glued edge to edge and with a spar made from Home Depot yardsticks but it failed static load tests.

I am planning to use a belt reduction drive to be able to swing a large prop with a smaller motor.

Below is an example of a vintage AstroFlight 15 (brushed) on a belt drive set up for a 3.69:1 ratio. It can efficiently swing an 18x12" prop at about 25 amps. While hard to find anymore, belt drives are quiet, look cool with the belt running across the top pulley and work well. I always thought it would look really cool to have an outrunner on the belt drive and paint the outrunner can one-half black and the other half white so you could see it spinning. For my giant foamie I would like to use a larger drive to spin a 20-24" prop. With the reduction drive you need to use greater pitch because the prop spins more slowly than it does on an direct-drive outrunner.

Thanks,

Paul
Jun 21, 2019, 08:49 AM
Thread OP
Hi Paul,

Yes the wing is just 1/2" foam. I used gym steps and barbell weights and bars to create the airfoil shape.

The bottom wing is smaller and triangulated by the landing gear - not too much worry there

Both wings have a rib joining the wing sections and the fuselage also forms another rib on each side

Both wings will also have CF struts connected to the fuselage forming an X

I do have some concerns about the top wing, but the wing loading is very low and it is ok if the foam flexes a bit

The belt drive is really cool and should give a great scale appearance while flying!

Scott
Jun 21, 2019, 09:20 AM
Thread OP
Let's try this:

Jupiter Giant - first motor run up (0 min 30 sec)
Jul 03, 2019, 10:29 AM
Thread OP
Here is a picture of the wing struts.

One wasn’t enough, but two has made the wing pretty rigid.
Jul 03, 2019, 11:05 AM
Old RC Guy Having Fun!
Looking forward to seeing it in the air

Quick Reply