Congrats Scott!

Stephan
to remove ads between posts
Aug 13, 2019, 07:33 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B.
Absolutely fantastic. You did it!
Thanks Thomas, but I feel more like "we" did it - your great design that is still my favorite flyer, birdofplay (Bob) blowing up the plans for me, StephanB and NCRealEstateGuy constant encouragement.....and of course my dog, kids and girlfriends patience with all time I spent on it!
Aug 13, 2019, 10:07 AM
I Used To Have More Free Time!
Now...
Build me one!
I still wish the Giant Bipe would come to fruition.
Aug 13, 2019, 11:02 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRealEstateGuy
Now...
Build me one!
I'd be happy to print or share the files for any of the hardware I designed/3D printed, the rest is almost as easy as building a Jr.

Put regular landing gear on the Jupiter Giant and it will be so much lighter that It will practically stand still in the sky - so I'm not sure why you still want the Giant Bipe?
Aug 14, 2019, 12:48 AM
Proto morlock
Congrats! Looks great. I might have missed it, but what motor/esc/prop setup did you end up going with?
Aug 14, 2019, 08:12 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_the_Sane
Congrats! Looks great. I might have missed it, but what motor/esc/prop setup did you end up going with?
Thanks Jim!

Motor:
PROPDRIVE v2 5060 380KV Brushless Outrunner Motor

ESC:
HobbyKing 100A ESC 4A UBEC

Lipo:
ZIPPY Flightmax 8000mAh 3S1P 30C Lipo Pack

Prop:
XOAR PJWWI Scimitar 24x10 Light RC Warbird Airplane Propeller

Prop adapter:
NTM Accessory Pack for 63 Series Motors (required machining adapter to make it fit the above motor. See post # 113)
Aug 14, 2019, 08:42 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott in NH
I'd be happy to print or share the files for any of the hardware I designed/3D printed, the rest is almost as easy as building a Jr.

Put regular landing gear on the Jupiter Giant and it will be so much lighter that It will practically stand still in the sky - so I'm not sure why you still want the Giant Bipe?
Sorry if that didn't sound right - is it the looks, slow flight or some other aspect of the GB that still has you wishing?
Aug 14, 2019, 11:45 AM
No apologies needed at all.
It is the looks and the slow flight and the fact that the designer was going to offer it as a short kit. I find it hard to find the time to build from scratch.
Aug 14, 2019, 01:20 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
No apologies needed at all.
It is the looks and the slow flight and the fact that the designer was going to offer it as a short kit. I find it hard to find the time to build from scratch.
Thanks, that makes sense...

Funny (or maybe not) how that guy just disappeared

if I recall even his original Bipe was expensive for what it is, can't imagine what he would had had to get for the Giant

FWIW the foam cut very quickly and was never the hold up on this Jupiter

Knowing what engine, prop, and ESC also saves a ton of time

I'd print support parts for the wing mount and struts

standard gear could easily use the same parts as my float gear as they are adjustable for angle

So a wheel tire combination would be the only 'new' element that could easily be made from the same foam on a printed axle and hub

I guess what I am saying is that a "kit" would really only save you one day over scratch-built (IMO as I could easily cut all the foam by hand in a day)

I think you should just go for it!
Aug 14, 2019, 01:27 PM
I may just do that, but it will not be until I get caught up on some of the planes I have still in the boxes.
Yes, the bipes were too expensive for me to buy one.
Aug 14, 2019, 07:36 PM
Proto morlock
Thanks Scott. I did miss the ... extended discussion over several pages, with calcs

Inspiring stuff.
Aug 15, 2019, 08:34 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_the_Sane
Thanks Scott. I did miss the ... extended discussion over several pages, with calcs

Inspiring stuff.
Thanks Jim

I had a lot of help there and it was a great learning experience

That is why I say "we" did it, not "I" did it
Aug 15, 2019, 09:53 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
Quote:
Now...
Build me one!
The designer had medical issues in his family and never really got back into production and selling them again.

I'm working on a 48" stuntbipe myself just for the grins, probably laminate two sheets of 24" x 48" model plane foam for the wing surfaces. But it's not any time soon.
Aug 15, 2019, 10:00 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool
The designer had medical issues in his family and never really got back into production and selling them again.

I'm working on a 48" stuntbipe myself just for the grins, probably laminate two sheets of 24" x 48" model plane foam for the wing surfaces. But it's not any time soon.
Start a build log - I would definitely follow along and am looking for what I might build this winter....

What have you done so far?
Aug 15, 2019, 10:36 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
I've mainly laid out one of my existing stuntbipes on my cutting mat that has a handy 1" grid on it and taken pics of all the main parts, and have fiddled with the pics awkwardly to blow them up for printing on a plotter.

1/2" HD Foamular board for the fuse and tail, MPF for the wings, likely coroplast for the cabanes.

I have a dozen project builds either in my head or partway through, possible I may work on it this winter. This is kind of distracting from your triumphant build though.

Quick Reply