Can EPO foam be bent or reshaped? - RC Groups
Aug 11, 2017, 04:59 AM
Discussion

Can EPO foam be bent or reshaped?

Does anyone know if epo foam can be bent or reshaped? I don't mean as in a repair after a crash. I mean like if someone wanted to take the curl out of the wings from a Radion. Anyone know of a trick or method or is it not possible ?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 11, 2017, 08:10 AM
treefinder
It wouldnt be easy, as the Radian wings are molded to that shape, but i suppose it can be done. Generally if one starts with flat foam shaping and reshaping is fairly easy as the memory of the foam is the original flat surface. If i was going to flatten the tips, iwould probably slit them along the LE and TE joint lines to get two thinner sheet tips and heat form each to as flat as i could get them, then GG them back together. Lots of work for little gain i would think. Easier to build up another flat wing from scratch.
Aug 11, 2017, 11:06 PM
So applying heat to foam would be the best option to soften it up for reshaping?
Aug 12, 2017, 10:08 AM
treefinder
Yes, but with molded foam like your wing, one has to be super careful to creep up on the temp to soften but not melt or collapse the beads. If you have something scrap to test on, I would highly recommend you spend some time with that before taking on your wing. Olefinic foams take heat differently than styrenic. With the latter, it's pretty easy to heat up a general area and soften it just enough to make rolling or curving (or flattening) a sheet of Model Plane Foam or other FFF type foams. Plus with MPF it's pretty easy to cold form the sheet and then hit with a heat gun to set the shape. That doesn't work with the molded foams as far as I've seen. Worst case scenario is you get to buy another wing, or better yet, make your own, then you can make any shape you like!
Aug 12, 2017, 02:43 PM
Ok cool. Thanks for the input
Aug 12, 2017, 05:37 PM
treefinder
Good luck with it!