Aug 10, 2017, 10:56 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

New FrSky sailplane Rx with built-in vario, redundant Rx input

Looks like a very nice Rx for sailplanes, with SBus, vario/altimeter, 8 PWM channels, and redundant Rx input. 5.5mm skinnier than a 4 channel, 2mm thicker, and longer, but hardly heavier. Nice little package.

I believe from the instructions it can do 6 high precision PWM and 16 SBus channels at the same time, with 1-6 overlapping.

https://www.frsky-rc.com/product/g-rx8/

Looks like $35US from Horus:

https://www.horusrc.com/en/frsky-g-r...-function.html

Kevin
to remove ads between posts
Aug 11, 2017, 01:19 AM
Too late, D16 only

Good price for a Rx with vario embedded.
However, should not rave too much, the barometer sensor is a 4x2 mm chip, and under $5 for thousands units buy.
As I said above, too late, could have this since the D8 times...
Last edited by renatoa; Aug 12, 2017 at 12:31 AM.
Aug 11, 2017, 02:59 AM
I have been wishing for this combination to materialize. Size and weight sound ideal for a combined rx and vario / altimeter, it saves a lot of time trying to combine the two for tight applications and just what I was looking for. Amazing how Frsky manages to package such impressive value and functionality.
Aug 11, 2017, 07:00 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa
Too late, too expensive...

Looking for the next "Frsky", to grow up, with good quality and lo prices.
ROFL, too late, too expensive compared to what?

The $149USD AR9320T? The $99 6ch GR-12?

There's only two alternatives, the 'inexpensive' one is 3 times the price and poorly distributed, while the other option is almost 5 times the price and has a known, unpatched bug for the last 11 months (the 11ms bug common to all 'T' receivers) and has telemetry range challenges widely reported
Aug 11, 2017, 07:02 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcaldwel
Looks like a very nice Rx for sailplanes, with SBus, vario/altimeter, 8 PWM channels, and redundant Rx input. 5.5mm skinnier than a 4 channel, 2mm thicker, and longer, but hardly heavier. Nice little package.

I believe from the instructions it can do 6 high precision PWM and 16 SBus channels at the same time, with 1-6 overlapping.

https://www.frsky-rc.com/product/g-rx8/

Looks like $35US from Horus:

https://www.horusrc.com/en/frsky-g-r...-function.html

Kevin
7 dedicated PWM channels + 16 SBus, or 8PWM with no SBus out (ch8 is shared between SBus & PWM). Sbus for redundancy always enabled.
Aug 11, 2017, 08:23 AM
Oleg Golovidov
$35 "too expensive" - really funny.

installed in $2000 airframes, with 6 x $40-70 servos, $150-300 power system, etc.
Aug 11, 2017, 08:42 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by olgol
$35 "too expensive" - really funny.

installed in $2000 airframes, with 6 x $40-70 servos, $150-300 power system, etc.
It's also all of $3 more than a standard X8R and $1 more than an RX8R.

yeah, expensive, really.

The Spektrum price differential is $30 between a 9030T and a 9320T, that almost pays for a G-RX8R all by itself.
Aug 11, 2017, 08:45 AM
Heck, if you by the receiver and vario separately like I just did it's like $50 !

They did revise the price to $40 however. Unfortunately they probably had a initial batch of a couple hundred and it probably sold out in about an hour. Thanks a lot guys !!!
Aug 11, 2017, 09:24 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
7 dedicated PWM channels + 16 SBus, or 8PWM with no SBus out (ch8 is shared between SBus & PWM). Sbus for redundancy always enabled.
The "Note:" seems to indicate 6 PWM channels when bound in SBus mode, no Ch 7 output, and SBus on Ch 8 pins. Either is fine by me. It is nice to have 3 PWM channels for the fuse servos and throttle, and the rest on SBus. I guess a Plus would be different, but there are still tons of options with this nice Rx.

Kevin
Aug 11, 2017, 09:58 AM
NorCal Electric Soaring (NES)
As a new FrSky user the breadth of RX and sensor options compared to all other popular vendors is amazing to me. And the prices are low and reflect the fact they are selling lots of them. I can't comment on quality yet, still doing initial range and other tests. But so far I'm impressed.
Aug 11, 2017, 11:27 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcaldwel
The "Note:" seems to indicate 6 PWM channels when bound in SBus mode, no Ch 7 output, and SBus on Ch 8 pins. Either is fine by me. It is nice to have 3 PWM channels for the fuse servos and throttle, and the rest on SBus. I guess a Plus would be different, but there are still tons of options with this nice Rx.

Kevin
Yeah, I hadn't seen the manual yet, and the high-precision outputs are a new wrinkle.

That's interesting, as the high precision mode means you'll want to bind in SBus mode for your typical 4 servo wing ship with no motor, and run your wing on ch1-4 if running all-PWM. That's a new feature for the G-RX8R in addition to the built-in vario.

The only downside to this is that you can't get both high-precision on all surfaces and a PWM output for the ESC for a typical FH ship. You'll need to be running at least one SBus servo in that setup (as the PWM converters are not running in the new High precision mode)
Aug 11, 2017, 11:30 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Another thing in the manual, the Vario can be disabled at the receiver by holding down F/S for 3 seconds after a normal power-up, same thing will re-enable.

Useful for competition, as it's a lot easier to police than the AR9320T or GR-12.
Aug 11, 2017, 03:30 PM
Yes the number of high precision outputs is a question mark for me as well for electrics. Honestly I don't think I would notice a difference anyway. I say this now
Aug 11, 2017, 05:05 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwjoon
Yes the number of high precision outputs is a question mark for me as well for electrics. Honestly I don't think I would notice a difference anyway. I say this now
I'd love to have high-precision outputs for all control surfaces, plus ch7 for the ESC. I can live with just the wing, since setting camber/reflex is where the extra precision will be the most useful.

Quick Reply