Questions about Flash 7 telemetry - RC Groups
Aug 10, 2017, 08:09 PM
Question

Questions about Flash 7 telemetry

Hi all, I'm not that new to RC flying but I only recently updated my equipment to 2.4 ghz about 2 years ago, and recently bought an electric sailplane. I started out flying the glider and quickly got addicted to soaring, then I thought "hey, a vario would be a useful tool to help me learn how to do this". After lots of research I have found the slope to be quite slippery and went from looking at just buying a vario to getting the entire HTS-SS Advanced glider combo which has way more equipment than I ever thought that I would need, to play with what is essentially an expensive toy I couldn't afford when I was a kid. All of this stuff sounds pretty cool, however I'm having a hard time finding out a lot of info on my specific radio, a Hitec Flash 7 with regards to how all of this information will be displayed, or managed with my transmitter. I am also wondering about value for my money compared to other systems that may be out there.

Some of my questions include: Can a tone for the vario be turned off and on with a switch on my radio, or do I have to listen to it for the entire flight, even if I'm descending in big sink for 5 minutes?

If I opt for an airspeed sensor, is the airspeed displayed on my screen, or stored in memory? If it is stored, can I access it from the transmitter interface or do I need a computer for that, and what operating system will I need?

The temp sensors are obviously good for checking battery or motor temperatures in flight, but are there alarms that can be set at certain thresholds, or will it just display that info on the screen?

Is ground speed displayed on the screen if you have the GPS sensor?

All of these sensors: Servo manager, Airspeed, GPS, Temp etc, will obviously give you a lot of info, is each sensors info displayed on a different page on the screen real time? Is it practical to change from one page to another if applicable while flying a slow glider while soaring to see all of the different info like speed, battery voltage, altitude, temp etc, or is it possible to see all of this info simultaneously like you would with an instrument panel in a full size airplane?

I looked through the FAQ section on Hitec's website and the Flash 7 isn't even listed there, the closest was Flash 4 or 5.
I did find a good 3 part video on Hitec's web site all about Telemetry with the Aurora 9, but it's not really clear how much functionality the Flash 7 will have compared to a much higher end radio. The hour long Flash 7 overview and operation video on the web site is also excellent, but it doesn't go into too much detail on the Telemetry from what I can see unless I missed something. That video mentions that there is more detailed info in the Telemetry workshop video, which I'm assuming is the 3 part one with the Aurora 9 that I mentioned earlier.

I am interested in getting at a minimum a vario, but it's all a bit overwhelming and I figured I might reach out and get some advice from some people who might know a lot more about this stuff than I do. Thanks for any help in advance.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 14, 2017, 09:57 AM
Team Hitec, Sales
The best person to ask is Mike Mayberry, he has very in depth knowledge of how all of the telemetry systems work. You can reach him through email as he generally doesn't frequent the forums as much anymore:

service@hitecrcd.com
Latest blog entry: End of summer sale!!!