Craft-air Windrifter??? Info on this model - RC Groups
Aug 10, 2017, 02:00 PM
Discussion

Craft-air Windrifter??? Info on this model

So I love to just browse flea-markets, estate sales, etc for vintage rc aircraft and related items. I recently came across a kit called a Craft-air windrifter and picked it cheap up for pretty much nothing. Anyone have any personal experience with this glider/kit and know much about it/how much it's worth? Seems pretty cool, powered fixed wings are more of my forte though so I don't know much about it. Thanks!!! I can put up pictures later on to check maybe if it's complete or partial
to remove ads between posts
Aug 10, 2017, 03:44 PM
It's a 70's era Standard Class gasbag, related to the Drifter II 72". Pure floater with a 99" span, similar to the Airtronics Olympus II.

There were 3 variations, an early & late version of the Windrifter, which differed on the horizontal stab setup (IIRC one was a flying stab, the other a conventional elevator), and the Windrifter SD100 which has a fibreglass fuselage.

Depending on how complete it is, it's probably worth $50-100 in kit form.
Aug 10, 2017, 09:08 PM
Allright cool! I appreciate the info!
Aug 10, 2017, 10:34 PM
plans attached
Aug 11, 2017, 09:29 AM
It's a nice woody. Some versions like mawz stated have different horizontals. Build it and enjoy ! Spoilers would probably be a nice edition. I wouldn't make it into an electric since models like this fly pretty damn good off a high start but to each his own.
Aug 11, 2017, 10:56 AM
For sure! The fall college semester is creeping up real soon, but as soon as the holiday break is here and I can stop hitting the book and 1:1 flying, I can get back into the modeling. Never had a sailplane before so it'll be a nice experience.
Aug 12, 2017, 12:49 AM
Aviator, glad to hear that you are planning to build your recently acquired Windrifter kit. It is a great floater and is an excellent choice for your first thermal sailplane (still have mine).

A successful design during its day, the first Windrifter kits were designed with the fuselage mounted horizontal stabilizer (plans from Outerzone and kit label below) but the majority of Windrifter kits have the stab mounted on the vertical fin.
Aug 15, 2017, 11:26 AM

Windrifter Ray Hayes Short Kits

Generally speaking it seems the most common Windrifters around have the tail mounted up a ways on the vertical fin. We built two of Ray Hayes kits over the winter and I have to say it is the best flying woody I have built. We powered both of them with small Leopard motors from headsuprc. These gliders have an AUW of about 43.25 ounces. The motor is plenty powerful to get an aggressive climb. They show lift extremely well, are terrific floaters and penetrate reasonably well although not as well as the Oly II...still, while I really like my Oly II winch launch, the Windrifter is my favorite woody glider.

One of our club members has had a winch launch Windrifter he has flown for years without spoilers. I wanted to compare our electrics to his at almost the identical weight (without spoilers as well)...I think his is 44 ounces. This past Sunday this club member made two one hour plus flights back to back. The first with his super light Supra and the second with his Windrifter. He had the Windrifter so high you could only make out the wing. Pretty gutsy without spoilers but this guy is an above average pilot.

If you want a really nice glider you should build it. If not please find it a good home...someone who will build and fly it. Good luck.

I have attached just a few shots of changes we made. For example the little 8gram servo for the elevator located just in front of the vertical fin and of course the electric motor up front.

Lary
Aug 23, 2017, 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWeller
Generally speaking it seems the most common Windrifters around have the tail mounted up a ways on the vertical fin. We built two of Ray Hayes kits over the winter and I have to say it is the best flying woody I have built....the Windrifter is my favorite woody glider.
Lary
The Windrifter was my fav glider also, always could depend on it for staying up in the gentle but numerous thermals that used to occur at the flying site years ago. Got a couple of two hour flights from it and could even fly it inverted! Decided to purchase a Windrifter kit back then after a friend had built a Drifter II and his could out thermal my Wanderer. Currently rebuilding its vertical fin.

Great looking Windrifters you and your buddy have.
Aug 26, 2017, 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
(Snip)... There were 3 variations, an early & late version of the Windrifter, which differed on the horizontal stab setup (IIRC one was a flying stab, the other a conventional elevator)
Both Versions of the Windrifter had a conventional horizontal stabilizer and elevator. The first one mounted it on top of the fuselage, but owners reported the stabilizer getting torn up during landings on fields populated with stiff weeds.

The later version moved the stabilizer midway up the vertical stabilizer. While that might help keep the horiz. stab out of trouble, the wing is still mounted down low. So if stiff weeds are a problem, then I think the better solution is to find a better flying field, then fly whichever version of the Windrifter you can find.

The Windrifter SD100 had a full flying horizontal stabilizer.

Regards,
Tim Engel
Last edited by Esprit2; Aug 26, 2017 at 10:51 PM.