Best scratchbuilding foam? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 10, 2017, 11:53 AM
Tinkerer extrordinaire
Discussion

Best scratchbuilding foam?

I have only ever made little indoor gliders from thin sliced styrofoam packaging, and I am wanting to get into scratchbuilding parkflyers. I have my eye on a SEMFF Komet designed by dz1sfb, but I am not sure what foam to use.

I have looked at MPF, and I think it may be a good option. The price is a little high though.

I have done projects in the past with DTF, and it is not my material of choice.

I have made random stuff out of a Depron like foam with teflon coating on both sides, but I cannot seem to find a source or price for it.

FFF would be great, but again, I cannot find a source.

Does anyone have any suggestions of where to get FFF, or possibly how to cut 1" blue foam into 1/4 slabs?

Any other material suggestions are welcome!

RCJD
to remove ads between posts
Aug 10, 2017, 12:07 PM
I would recommend MPF, but I am partial, and don't have to pay for shipping, you can try ordering FFF from Home Depot, or any of the other big box home improvement stores, but being in Texas, they may not ship insulation like that to your state, construction supply companies may order it for you, but it may not be cheap.

Mike
Aug 10, 2017, 12:41 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Also check out the SPAD forum -- SPAD - Simple Plastic Airplane Designs

It uses a similar material to outdoor placards, signs, etc. (Corex, Coroflute etc).

There has also been quite a few models built using card and cardboard, scrap foam packaging protection, and don't forget good old balsa wood.
Just adapt your build and technique to suit the material you have or can find.
Aug 10, 2017, 01:13 PM
"Ross board" from Walmart. It's 88 cents a sheet and water resistant resistant. It holds up great on damp grass. I use it for most every airplane I build.
Aug 10, 2017, 01:22 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
I use the modeling foam from HobbyKing , it's a bit brittle .... but that's only a problem if/when the plane crashes .
It is available in 3mm , 5mm , and 10mm thicknesses .

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/aero-mod...___store=en_us

BTW , if you will be building a plane for first timer learning RC flying , the Komet is NOT a good choice .... better to start with a slow flying , high wing dihedral/polyhedral trainer .
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Aug 10, 2017 at 02:21 PM.
Aug 10, 2017, 02:47 PM
Tinkerer extrordinaire
I am not a beginner when it comes to flying, I am looking to build a more advanced aircraft because I am bored with my current park flyer.

I have looked into the SPADs, but I didn't see a design that really said "build me!"

I have always liked the komet and other unconventional full scale aircraft, and I have flown and enjoyed flying wings before.

Would correx be suitable as a direct replacement for 1/4" foam in a plf profile plane with a kfm2 airfoil?

Just for grins, does anyone have any experience cutting 1/2" blue foam in half thickness wise?
Aug 10, 2017, 03:01 PM
Tinkerer extrordinaire
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
I use the modeling foam from HobbyKing , it's a bit brittle .... but that's only a problem if/when the plane crashes .
It is available in 3mm , 5mm , and 10mm thicknesses .

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/aero-mod...___store=en_us
Thanks for the link! That looks perfect: cheap, easy to work with, and a company I know ships to my house!

I'm not sure if I care that it is a little bit brittle, the price point is quite appealing!

PS. I was also going to use the foam to make one or two blu-baby planes for a couple of noobs I know. I was planning on taping the wings anyway
Last edited by RCJD; Aug 10, 2017 at 03:51 PM.
Aug 10, 2017, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCJD
Just for grins, does anyone have any experience cutting 1/2" blue foam in half thickness wise?
I do that quite a bit when it works better for the design. I use hot wire or if you are shaping it after, just use a knife. I don't care for conventional either. Flying wings are plenty of fun. Cheap and very little parts involved.
Aug 10, 2017, 07:01 PM
Quote:
PS. I was also going to use the foam to make one or two blu-baby planes for a couple of noobs I know. I was planning on taping the wings anyway
The Blu-baby is an outstanding noob plane , but I use the EzFly for teaching first timers ...... it has the advantage of a protected motor/prop if it is nosed into the ground . The EzFly is stable , and can be VERY slow flying if built with light wing loading ..... here's one of mine :

Copy of EzFly with under-cambered wing (1 min 57 sec)
Aug 10, 2017, 09:09 PM
I use under floor foam insulation. Comes with a plastic film on either side. Lowes sells it in 1/2 in. thicknesses and Home Depot sells it at 3/4 in thickness. I also use spruce countertop edging for spar strength. It has heat sensitive glue on one side and ironed on with a Monocoat iron.

Gord.
Last edited by flypaper 2; Aug 10, 2017 at 09:16 PM.
Aug 10, 2017, 10:45 PM
Tinkerer extrordinaire
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
The Blu-baby is an outstanding noob plane , but I use the EzFly for teaching first timers ...... it has the advantage of a protected motor/prop if it is nosed into the ground . The EzFly is stable , and can be VERY slow flying if built with light wing loading ..... here's one of mine :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxaUadvhgbc
Thanks for the advice! I think I like the blu-baby for asthetic reasonsand the removable wing, though I like that the ezfly has a protected prop.

What kind of glue would you use in the HK foam?
Last edited by RCJD; Aug 10, 2017 at 11:16 PM.
Aug 11, 2017, 02:43 AM
Quote:
Thanks for the advice! I think I like the blu-baby for asthetic reasonsand the removable wing, though I like that the ezfly has a protected prop.

What kind of glue would you use in the HK foam?
I use hot glue on all of my foamy scratch builds .

Aug 11, 2017, 10:53 AM
Tinkerer extrordinaire
Okay! I use hot glue a bunch as well. Like, every repair of my EPP semiscale Citabria was done with hot glue.

I just stumbled upon the thread for the blue-beagle. I'm really liking it!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Trainer/page1

Less foam = less breakage

Pusher prop, looks perfect! I might replace the tail boom stick with CF though.

I think I am looking into the blue-beagle seriously because it uses 5mm foam, the EzFly uses 10mm, which is double the price. Anyway, the Komet uses 5mm foam, so I could just get one bundle instead of two.

I was thinking about modifying the blue-beagle a little, i.e. wider fuse, something solid on the LE of the wing and tail (fiberglass rod?) I will probably put something in the inside corners of the fuse to allow me to sand the outside corners a little.

I am also thinking I would like to put a 2s brushless system in it, what size would be best? I was looking at a putting in a 24g blue wonder and plush 12amp, is that too overpowered?

What size battery would you put in it for someone who has buddy-boxed before, but not flown solo?
Last edited by RCJD; Aug 11, 2017 at 11:13 AM.
Aug 11, 2017, 12:15 PM
Quote:
I think I am looking into the blue-beagle seriously because it uses 5mm foam, the EzFly uses 10mm, which is double the price.
For light wing loading ( slow flight ) : the EzFly in post #9 ↑ is made with 5mm foam , lightweight electronics , and the wingspan extended to 40" .

I only use the 10mm foam for larger scratch builds , like this giant delta :

Giant simple delta (2 min 0 sec)
Aug 11, 2017, 03:30 PM
Quote:
I have only ever made little indoor gliders from thin sliced styrofoam packaging, and I am wanting to get into scratchbuilding parkflyers. I have my eye on a SEMFF Komet designed by dz1sfb, but I am not sure what foam to use.

RCJD
Have built that Komet..... using $ store 'adams foamcore' board. The foam inner, sans paper.
Worked FINE.... No problems whatsoever. Still surviving, 3 yrs on too.
What's Your reluctance ??