MJX B2W Bugs 2W WiFi FPV Brushless With 1080P HD Camera GPS RC Quadcopter RTF - RC Groups
Aug 09, 2017, 11:52 PM
GOT WINGS
Mini-Review

MJX B2W Bugs 2W WiFi FPV Brushless With 1080P HD Camera GPS RC Quadcopter RTF

This quadcopter was sent to me courtesy of Banggood. It was pre-ordered on May 8, 2017 but was not in stock at that time. It shipped using DHL on July 31, 2017 and it arrived on August 7, 2017 with only minor dings in the box. It was shipped by DHL expedited shipping service, 8 days from shipped to arrival, very good transit time. It is well packaged and the box measures 427 x 290 x 133 millimeters. Pictures:
Name: zbg2box.jpg
Views: 8
Size: 76.7 KB
Description: Name: zbg2box2.jpg
Views: 7
Size: 65.9 KB
Description: Name: zbg2box3.jpg
Views: 6
Size: 67.8 KB
Description: Name: zbg2bxcnt.jpg
Views: 7
Size: 66.2 KB
Description: Name: zbg2bxcnt2.jpg
Size: 71.4 KB
Description: Name: zbg2bxcnt3.jpg
Views: 11
Size: 90.7 KB
Description: Name: zbg2bxcnt4.jpg
Size: 86.6 KB
Description: Name: zbg2qdmanl.jpg
Size: 94.0 KB
Description:

First Impression and Description

This quad is 310mm size and is put together well. This version is RTF and includes a wifi 720p FPV camera and VTX. The on screen dispaly(OSD) on the transmitter provides some information that will be discussed in the transmitter section. The body/frame is all plastic and has a solid feel to it. It is all red with two silver eyes on the top of the front body and black arrow on top back part of the body that has GPS printed in it. The motors are silver brushless 1806 1800KV with no visible markings on them. It has red props and the landing gear are opaque with LEDs inside. The props are 7.3 inches or 186mm and red. The props shafts on the motors take 5mm prop nuts that are cw and ccw. There are flat sides on the prop shafts near the bottom that the props match. Landing gear/Leds have rubber pads at the bottom. The props are labelled A or B and the arms are also A and B. There are directional arrows painted onto each of the props showing which directions to tighten/loosen the prop nuts. There is a memory card slot behind the camera on the lower right body for an SD memory card. Props come installed, only the battery has to be charged and inserted. The battery is proprietary, encased in a plastic shell, and snaps snuggly into the battery bay. Battery is rated as 2S, 1800mah, with no C rating. The manual is written in fairly understandible English. There are 4 spare props, a plastic prop nut wrench, and phone holder, and a transmitter. There is a charge cord for the battery with a connected 220V wall wort, and a Bugs UV sticker sheet.
Name: zbg2qdtp.jpg
Views: 9
Size: 74.1 KB
Description: Name: zbg2qdbttm.jpg
Views: 10
Size: 75.4 KB
Description: Name: zbg2qdbck.jpg
Views: 12
Size: 59.2 KB
Description: Name: zbg2qdfrntcam.jpg
Size: 64.7 KB
Description:

Banggood's Description:

Brand Name: MJX
Item NO.: B2W
Item Name: MJX B2W WiFi FPV RC quadcopter
Frequency: 2.4G
Channel: 4CH
Quadcopter Size:410*410*80mm
Battery: 7.4V 1800mAh
Camera:1080P .
FPV:720P
Motor: Brushless motor
Flight distance:800-1000m
FPV distance: 400-500m
Flight time: around 15-18 minutes
Charging time: around 300 minutes
Transmitter:GR304
Transmitter Battery: 4*AA 1.5V(Not included)
Color: Black,Red
Function: ascend, descend, forward, backward, left sideward fly, right sideward fly ,Out of Control Return, Low Power Return,One Key Return,GPS,Altitude Mode,Wifi FPV

Features:
* Built in 1080P HD camera are tuned amazingly to capture stunning pictures and videos from the sky.
* With altitude hold mode function provides stable flight.
* With GPS auto positioning system, accurate positioning location, perfect advanced follower.
* With One key to return function makes it easily to find the way home.
* 2.4GHz Technology Adopted for Anti-Interference.
* 4 Channel which can do ascend, descend, forward, backward, left sideward fly, right sideward fly and rolling 360.
* 6-axis gyro which can have more stable flying and be easy to control.
* With LED lights making the flight more spectacular especially in the dark.

Package Included:
1x MJX B2W Quadcopter
1x Transmitter
1x Battery
4x Propeller
1x Charger
1x Phone Holder
1x UV Sticker

Dimensions and Weights
Motor to Motor(MTM) Diagonally----310mm.....................................MTM Side to Side-----219mm
MTM Front to Back-----219mm............................................. ..................Height/ground clearance-----12mm
Transmitter measures-----149 x 136 x 42 mm .................................Transmitter Sticks-----86mm CTC x 21mm tall
Props measure-----186mm/7.31 inches............................................ ...........Motors--1806 1800KV
Quadcopter body weight-----335.2 grams............................................. All up weight-----454.1 grams
Battery Bay---117 x 36 x 22mm............................................. ....................Battery-----118.9 grams
Range of quad/fpv-----1000/500 meters?

Transmitter
The transmitter is black and has a fake antenna on the top. The LCD display is at the bottom and the on/off button is directly above centered between the sticks. The buttons are labeled, I will include a picture showing their functions. There is an oval at the top front that lights up green when it is turned on. Both sticks are spring loaded and centered. Sticks are a little short but are usable as they are. The manual has instructions for calibrating the quad and for compass calibration. Even though the transmitter is closer to toy grade than hobby grade, it still has a decent feel to it and works well. The sticks seem fairly precise in control of the quad. The transmitter is the same size and layout as the transmitters for the Bugs 3 and Bugs 6, the main difference is the LCD display screen. The screen displays telemetry including distance and altitude from home point - where you take off from. I will include a picture from the manual showing the display.
The transmitter beeps when low voltage warning starts and when the quad starts to get too far away.
Name: zbg2txcmp.jpg
Views: 16
Size: 68.0 KB
Description: Name: zbg2txbttns.jpg
Views: 15
Size: 57.7 KB
Description:

First Flights
Before the first flight the quad and the transmitter have to be put through a binding procedure to connect the TX and RX. Hold the red arming button down while turning on the transmitter, then push in the quad's battery to turn on the quad. The first few times it was very difficult to get the quad's battery pushed into place or removed. It takes several seconds for the quad to bind to the transmitter, then the LEDs blink light green indicating the need to do a compass calibration, and you must do it before every flight. It took several tries to accomplish a compass calibration, but it may have been that I didn't wait long enough for the binding procedure. After initial binding procedure, it does not have to be done again, and the compass calibration became much easier. Connection with the satellites is fairly fast and I have had 16 satellites displayed every time I flew it.
Before the first flight I checked to make sure all of the screws were tight, and also checked the tightness of the prop nuts. All seemed to be properly tightened.

During the first flight there was about a 5mph wind, and that did seem to affect the stability of GPS mode somewhat. There was movement of up to 5 feet in different directions and the quad seemed to bounce around a bit when the wind hit it. Still it was mostly stable and stationary when hovering in GPS mode. Altitude mode held the height fairly well. This quad moves around faster in both GPS and Altitude modes than an Aosenma CG035 or a Cheerson CX-23 but not as fast as an Eachine E350. It is also not quite as stable in GPS mode as a CG035 or a CX-23. First flight was basically checking out procedures and controls, but I did time the flight. Low voltage warning came on at about 12 minutes and the quad self landed at about 14 minutes, not bad for first battery charge.

For the second flight there was less wind but it was getting dark, dark enough that I had to use a flashlight to look at the transmitter display. LEDs actually were fairly visible except when the pitch had the quad flying directly towards me, then the LEDs would disappear completely from view. I flew the quad out to 333meters(1092 feet) according to the transmitter display, and straight up about 156 meters(512 feet). Even at the farthest distance, I could still barely see the LEDs unless the quad was tilted towards me. Flying it within 400 feet the LEDs were a very good aide in orientation in the darkening skys. In daylight, they were not much help. I did not time this flight.

The third flight was right at sun up and there was almost no wind. The quad seemed much more stable with no wind to push it around. I tried some funnels and estimate funnels were within about a 20 foot diameter. Yaw is not too fast but is a decent rate for agility and control. This time I took the quad out to 400 meters(1312 feet) and upt to 200 meters altitude(656 feet). At those distances the quad gets really hard for me to see. FPV would be helpful at that range but I will have to see if it works that well. I did not get any warning at all that the quad was getting out of control range. This time the low voltage warning started right at 12 minutes and the quad self landed at 14 minutes and 40 seconds.

Another flight, this time I recorded a video with an 808 #16 hat camera to show some of the flight characteristics. I also recorded a couple of videos using the on board camera and SD card. Those videos are in post # 2.
MINI0001 (2 min 37 sec)

Range
The range of the quad is claimed to be 800 - 1000 meters and the wifi FPV range is advertized as 400 - 500 meters. There is a warning beeper that goes off when the quad to transmitter signal starts getting weak. I have flown the quad out to 400 meters(1312 feet/about 1/4 mile) with no warning and up to 200 meters(652 feet). Seems to have very good tx/rx range. I have not tested the wifi FPV range.

Update 8/12/2017
I flew the quad out to 800 meters(2625 feet, close to 1/2 mile). I know that distance is accurate because I have measured the distance to my neighbors house at about 1/2 mile and I took pictures when I had the quad there. I could not see the quad to control it so I just rotated it a bit at a time and took pictures. Did not have an FPV monitor working. Then I just hit return home and it came back to me. Also noticed today that the distance meter only has 3 places so it may stop at 999. Really impressed with the range.

Battery and Charger
The battery is proprietary and slides into and snaps into place at the back of the quad. It is rated at 1800mah with no C rating. It was fairly difficult to insert/remove the battery the first time but has gotten a little easier with break in. The battery came with a charge of 3.91 volts per cell. After each flight with the quad self landing due to low battery and letting the battery cool down for at least 10 minutes, the battery has measure 3.69 to 3.71 volts per cell. It has taken my B6 charger about 42 minutes to recharge the battery at 3300mah or a little over 1.5C. My charger has added almost 1800mah back to the battery each time. That would indicate the battery is under rated and is possible more than a 2200 mah battery. Banggood's description claims the stock charger will take 300 minutes. The charger's output is rated at 7.4 volts and 0.5 amps. The charger comes with a Euro style plug on it, but there is a push button on the bottom of the charger that allows removing the Euro plug, but no 110v adapter is supplied. I charged the battery with the stock charger from a resting voltage of 3.78 volts per cell. It took almost 3 hours for the battery to charge to an end voltage of about 4.15 volts per cell. The cells were balanced within 0.05 volts per cell. Very slow and undercharged result.
Name: zbg2wbat.jpg
Views: 9
Size: 86.8 KB
Description: Name: zbg2wbatchgr.jpg
Views: 15
Size: 121.6 KB
Description: Name: zbg2wbatchrgr2.jpg
Size: 105.3 KB
Description:

Camera Quad?
The quad comes with a 1080P camera and wifi VTX, plus a cell phone mount for the transmitter. It is designed for FPV and claims a range of 500 meters for FPV transmission. Camera and FPV equipment will be discussed more in post #2.

Quad comparison
This quad is the same size as a Bugs 3 with a slimmer body, and larger than the Eachine E708, but they all have similar looks. It is not slow, but not as fast as the Bugs 3. Pictures:
Name: zbg2 qdcmp.jpg
Size: 77.5 KB
Description: Name: zbg2qdcmp2.jpg
Views: 19
Size: 78.7 KB
Description:

LEDs
The LEDs seem to help for binding and calibration, and blink for compass calibration and low voltage warning, but do not help much in orientation in sunlight. They do help at night but can become invisible when the quad is pitched towards the pilot.

Conclusion
The MJX B2W looks good and seems put together well. It has a good flight time of over 12 minutes with the stock battery. It flys only in 6-axis stabilization with altitude hold, and GPS modes. It should make a good camera and FPV quad, has an on board memory card, makes good videos and camera can be used without FPV or cell phone. May be a bit advanced for a beginner with no quad experience at all. The brushless motors make it seem fairly powerful. LEDs are not good for daylight flying but will not help in low light conditions. It is not really fast, but has decent controls and flies at about a medium speed. The manual is decent, but does have a few mistakes in it. It will probably be a good introductory brushless FPV quad for intermediate quad pilots, and seems to have a good GPS system that could be helpful to newer pilots. It has a some OSD data that is GPS enabled. The camera seems to work well and I noticed no jello in the first two videos I took with it. I have not tried the wifi FPV yet. I would rate this quad at about an 8 out of 10 on my rating scale, where 1 is bad, and 10 is excellent.

Pros
Well put together and a good looking design.
Strong brushless motors, good power.
Seemingly strong body.
Fairly stable.
On Screen Display(OSD)
Smooth, quiet brushless motors.
Good low voltage warning.
Good flight time.
Good LEDs for night flying.
Display is not too hard to read.
On board memory card, good video.
Decent instruction manual.

Cons
All red, not good for LOS orientation.
Proprietary battery.
Display is not backlit.
Must calibrate compass every flight.
Rather short transmitter sticks.
Fixed camera angle.
Wifi FPV that only works with some 5G phones.
No on/off switch.

Thanks to Banggood for providing this quad for review.
You can find it here for $234.00 USD including shipping and there is currently a 25% off coupon on the product page: https://www.banggood.com/MJX-B2W-Bug...070760201208BW
Last edited by siriusflier; Aug 15, 2017 at 03:32 PM. Reason: added dimensions and weights, 8/12/2017 added range info
to remove ads between posts
Aug 09, 2017, 11:53 PM
GOT WINGS
Reserved for camera, FPV, and video

Videos taken with the quad's camera and on board SD card. In one of these videos I flew out to about 300 meters:
Banggood B2W (2 min 22 sec)

Banggood B2W #2 (1 min 22 sec)

I took photos during a flight this morning, 8/10/2017. The only editing of these photos is changing the size, they were 1920 x 1080. The first 4 were taken at 80 meters altitude, the 5th was at 25 meters and the 4th includes a hawk below, the last photo is below 1 meter.
Name: zb2weast80.jpg
Views: 20
Size: 48.4 KB
Description: Name: zb2wnorth80.jpg
Size: 49.6 KB
Description: Name: zb2wwest80.jpg
Size: 50.6 KB
Description: Name: zb2wsouth80.jpg
Size: 50.5 KB
Description: Name: zb2wsouth25.jpg
Views: 21
Size: 67.3 KB
Description: Name: zb2wlowgrass.jpg
Size: 107.0 KB
Description:

On 8/15/2017 I downloaded the wifi app directly from the MJX website. App seems to work, but my phone will not connect with the wifi from the quad.
From what I have read, the majority of those with the B2W have not been able to get the wifi app to work, some even with 5G capable phones. Wifi FPV is never the best option, and setting it up to only work with 5G is a bad move IMHO.
Last edited by siriusflier; Aug 15, 2017 at 03:37 PM.
Aug 09, 2017, 11:54 PM
GOT WINGS
Tear down and modifications

8/16/2017Windy day not good for flying so I decided to take the B2W apart. There are 20 same sized rather large screws including 8 for the LED covers. All the screws probably weight 4 or 5 grams but I forgot to weigh them. There is also 1 smaller screw under each LED cover/lens. Once the body is separated, there is a plug for the GPS and a plug for what I think is the magnetic compass that have to be unplugged to completely separate the two body halves. The upper body has the GPS and magnetic compasses attached, the bottom body has everything else attached. The escs are soldered to the flight control board and to get underneath the fcb to the camera easily the motors would need to be dismounted, then the LEDs would have to be unplugged. Then you could remove the fcb, motors, and escs for access to the camera. I did not want to go that far. It looks like there are 2 screws holding the camera lens and the front of the camera pcb in place and one screw at the back. There are two antennas for the wifi vtx mounted near the rear of the quad body. The camera and board could probably be removed without completely removing the fcb and motors, but it might be a little difficult.
First picture shows the lower body with all but the compass and GPS module installed.
Name: zb2wlwbdy.jpg
Views: 38
Size: 123.5 KB
Description:

The red square appears to be the barometer module.
Name: zb2wfcb.jpg
Views: 39
Size: 133.3 KB
Description:

The rear of the fcb.
Name: zb2wfcbrr.jpg
Views: 35
Size: 129.6 KB
Description:

Camera plug in the middle front of fcb with LED plugs on each side.
Name: zb2wfcbfrnt.jpg
Views: 37
Size: 136.9 KB
Description:

There are two RX antennas, one in each rear arm near the escs.
Name: zescant.jpg
Views: 24
Size: 233.2 KB
Description: Name: zb2wescant2.jpg
Views: 24
Size: 67.2 KB
Description:

What appears to be the compass top front of body.
Name: zb2wcmpss.jpg
Views: 23
Size: 99.4 KB
Description:

GPS module under covering shield.
Name: zb2wgps.jpg
Views: 25
Size: 83.8 KB
Description:

Foam GPS shield seems to have two layers of copper shielding in the middle.
Name: zb2wgpscvr.jpg
Views: 22
Size: 96.4 KB
Description:

The motor screws are underneath the LED lights, two screws to remove LED pcb. All of the motor screws were properly tightened.
Name: zb2wmtrmnt.jpg
Size: 79.4 KB
Description:
Last edited by siriusflier; Aug 16, 2017 at 11:04 PM.
Aug 10, 2017, 01:27 AM
Great review as usual.... Seems video frame rate is non-constant... and far to be 30fps? Did you use a good class 10 ? with a good writing speed ?. In general, I think the Hubsan H501A is ahead... at least in term of features integrated in the Appz
Latest blog entry: Youbi XV-130 130MM FPV Racer
Aug 10, 2017, 03:04 AM
The shown videos were taken around sunset, so it was already getting darker; that could have effected the frame rate too.
Aug 10, 2017, 09:21 AM
GOT WINGS
It was a class 10 SD card and I didn't notice the frame problems until after I uploaded it to youtube. Not sure what the frame rate is. May have been a little problem with going in and out of what little sunlight was left.

I went and checked and noticed some frames dropped in the raw video. And frame rate was 24 fps.
Last edited by siriusflier; Aug 10, 2017 at 09:28 AM.
Aug 10, 2017, 12:50 PM
GOT WINGS
I tested a 2S Charsoon 2200mah 60C battery I have that fits snuggly into the battery bay because of the large battery wires. It has a XT30 connector on it already as I used it on the Bugs 3 and 6. The low voltage warning started at 14 minutes and it self landed right at 17 minutes. At rest, the voltage per cell was 3.69 volts.
I also took a bunch of photos during this flight and will post them in post #2.
Aug 11, 2017, 09:44 AM
GOT WINGS
Since I already had the stock battery charged up, I did another range test this morning with less than 5mph wind. I flew it out to about 615 meters(2017 feet) at about 50 feet altitude with no loss of control or weak signal warning. At that distance it was just a speck that I could barely see. Then when I brought it back to a little over 100 meters, I pushed the return home button and it landed within 20 inches of where it took off from. Not too bad at all.
Aug 12, 2017, 11:43 AM
GOT WINGS
I decided to try out my 2S nanotech 2200mah 35/70C battery with an XT30 plug on it this morning. It fit into the battery bay nicely and snuggly. Low voltage warning started at about 14 minutes and it returned home and landed itself at 16 minutes 50 seconds. There was a little wind blowing away from me, downwind for the quad, and lots of clouds.
But I was a bad boy, I flew it down by my neighbors and spied on them. Their house is about half a mile away from mine. So I flew out to about 800 meters(2625 feet), and took photos, rotating the quad a little at a time. I could not see the quad anymore at that point. I got three photos of their house and several other photos.
Then I hit the return home button and watched the distance meter go down until the quad got close enough to see it again. Kinda scary for a quad to be so far out that I can't see it anymore. It needs a really long range FPV vtx.
Here is a picture of the neighbors house, there is a strange looking object in the sky just above the trees and to the left of the house. And a photo with the quad pointing back to my house where I was standing. Only editing was resizing the pictures.
Name: zb2whouse.jpg
Views: 48
Size: 59.0 KB
Description: Name: zb2wmyhouse.jpg
Views: 33
Size: 60.7 KB
Description:
Aug 12, 2017, 11:51 AM
Could have been a hotair balloon
Aug 12, 2017, 12:25 PM
Just start to review it ... and according to the media info, the frame rate is vaiable instead of the bitrate. The minimum fraterate was about 6fps and the max close to 60fps ....

MJX Bugs B2W raw 1080p video footage (1 min 23 sec)

Unfortunatly, it will impossible to change this settings for camera except if a firmware can be flashed on the root of the SDcard
Aug 12, 2017, 04:23 PM
GOT WINGS
Still not too bad of video, SeByDocky.

I am actually enjoying this quad. It is a smooth and stable flyer, I usually get at least 10 satellites in less than 2 minutes and 16 by 3 minutes. Return to home works well, and camera is decent. But I am really impressed with the rx/tx range. I had never flown a quad out to even 1/4 mile before, and now I have flown this one out to 1/2 mile - 800 meters. And I didn't worry much about not being able to see it for control, I just hit return to home button. But I did notice the Distance meter will only go to 999 meters.
Curious what protocol it uses, maybe Flysky? Seby, are you going to try to find out the protocol?
Aug 13, 2017, 09:40 AM
Curious what protocol it uses, maybe Flysky? Seby, are you going to try to find out the protocol?[/QUOTE]

It's based on the same A7105 RF chip that the FlySky uses .... The same than the BUgs 3 maybe with some extra flag/channel..... Only goebish can hack it ... At least the Bugs3 SPI trace are available since a while but nobody tried yet to hack it. It will come one day. The B6W is a nice machine for sure .... My first video should be ready in a couple of hours
Aug 13, 2017, 04:56 PM
GOT WINGS
Hey SeByDocky, give us a link here when your video and review are ready or post em here if you want to.
Aug 14, 2017, 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier
Hey SeByDocky, give us a link here when your video and review are ready or post em here if you want to.

MJX Bugs B2W Unboxing analysis and demo flight (Courtesy Banggood) (31 min 50 sec)