RTW Fixed Wing Flight Controller - RC Groups
Aug 08, 2017, 05:12 PM
Sittin' on a hill
New Product

RTW Fixed Wing Flight Controller

I haven't seen a thread on this, so I'm starting one.

**** UPDATE****
THIS ITEM IS NOT AVAILABLE AT BANGGOOD ANYMORE. IT IS AVAILABLE AT TOMTOP THOUGH. BANGGOOD LINK AND INFORMATION HAS BEEN REPLACED WITH TOMTOP LINK. PLEASE NOTE THAT TOMTOP SALES INCLUDE GPS, CURRENT SENSOR, AND BLUETOOTH MODULE.
https://www.tomtop.com/p-rm9220.html

From Tomtop:

$93.99

RTW Fixed Wing UAV Flight Controller with GPS BT and Current Sensor for RC Airplane Aircraft

The RTW fixed wing UAV flight control system is a flight controller specifically designed from the ground up for small to medium fixed wing aircraft. Easy to install and setup the RTW FC features a high level of component integration meaning there is less wiring and external devices to connect. This simple design concept allows for quick and tidy installs with a minimum amount of fuss and peripheral components. An optional Airspeed sensor module is available for advanced applications.

Features:
1. Easy setup and upgrades
2. Very few cables, clean setups
3. Built in 12v & 5v BEC
4. Built in Dual camera switch
5. CAN_Bus Port for external peripherals such as Airspeed Sensor, PWM Board, navigation lights etc.
6. Supports GCS with intuitive user interface
7. Built in OSD
8. Strong aluminum case construction
9. Includes current sensor
10. Includes dual mode GPS
11. Includes BT module
12. Wonderful flight experience originate from 9 kinds of flight mode (Manual, HOR|ZON, STAB, 3D, AH/AH*, PH, RTH/RTH*, Fence, WayPoint)

Specifications:
Max input voltage: 30v
Output voltage: 5v or 12v
Max output current: 5Amp
Current sensor Max: 90a
Included GPS: BN-280 Dual Mode
Weight: About 35g
Size: About 53 * 40.5 * 13.5mm
Base system weight: 95g (FC, Current Sensor and GPS)

Package information:
Package size: 16.8 * 11.8 * 5cm / 6.6 * 4.64 * 1.96in
Package weight: 264 / 9.3oz
Gift box package

Package include:
1 * RTW Standard Edition with BT GPS & Current Sensor
Last edited by windspeaker; Nov 14, 2017 at 11:08 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 08, 2017, 05:16 PM
Sittin' on a hill
questions I hope to answer when it arrives:

What is included?
What mixing options does it have?
Is it easy to set up?
What are the flight modes?
What shows up on the OSD?
How configurable is the OSD?
How does it fly?
Whay are the options for telemetry (if any)?
Aug 17, 2017, 11:25 PM
Live Free and Fly
Did you get yours yet? They have some manuals online now. I'm hoping you can change units to Imperial versus Metric.
Aug 18, 2017, 08:16 PM
Sittin' on a hill

It's here!

I just got this in the mail today. I updated the first post to show info from the website along with unboxing pictures. There was no documentation of any kind in the box so I'm glad you found that manual. There was also no USB cable included, but it appears to be a common cable that I already have.

More comments after I read the manual and test out the software. I hope to use this on a Rainbow wing that I also purchased from BG. However, if it doesn't work for delta wings I will put it on a standard configuration plane and move my Pixhawk Lite over to the Rainbow.

The case is made of metal, not plastic. This lends it a feel of quality, but also adds some weight. I will most likely remove the metal case unless I find that it gets hot. The case may help with heat dispersion.

I verified the power output of the power module with a multimeter. It loses a bit on the pin that provides +12V to the FC but is still close enough to power everything. The random orange wire coming out of it appears to carry full battery voltage. I'm not sure why it was included. All pins called out as +12V on the schematic do carry the same 12V supply that comes from the power module, and those listed as 5V (Intrenal BEC) (SIC) do carry just under 5V. The center power pins for servos do not get power from the power supply, and will be powered by the BEC on your ESC.

Software

The default language for the software is (I think) Chinese. You can change it to English, but it isn't intuitive. Luckily for you, I figured it out so you don't have to.

In the top right corner of the screen is a little triangle.

When you click it, you'll see a drop-down menu with something in Chinese, and the word "English" in English. Click on the word "English" and a dialog box opens. Click OK and watch as... nothing happens.

BUT if you then close the program and re-open it, everything is in English. Problem solved! It turns out that's what the dialog box is telling you to do but it's in Chinese so I can't read it.

Last update for the night
I think it's all set up. It was really easy, despite the poor English translations in the manual. The part that took me the most time to figure out had nothing to do with this system. I forgot that my VTx had an off mode and I couldn't get video working for almost a half hour. Once I got it turned on, the OSD setup was fairly simple according to the manual. Once again everything defaulted to Chinese, but the manual explains how to change it to English so no problem there.

Thoughts so far:
I really like it so far. It is very easy to set up with almost no programming or wiring needed. This looks like it might be my dream flight controller for fixed wing. It did get pretty warm, so for now I will leave the metal case on to help transfer heat away. There is a lot of empty space inside the case that will act as an insulator though, so I may test it later with the case off to see if it does better thermally.

As much as I like it, there are a couple of things I would like to see in future updates:

1. A lot of settings are only available through the OSD. This is kind of annoying. I would really like to see an update allowing me to change ALL settings through the computer software.

2. Units are set to metric and there is no way to change it to imperial. I know, almost the whole world uses metric. Most people won't mind. But for those of us in the USA who don't use things like km/h on a daily basis it would be really nice to have the option of more familiar units.

The glue is drying on my Rainbow wing and I will probably finish it off tomorrow or Sunday. If all goes well I hope to maiden it and take this autopilot system for the first flight test on Monday or Tuesday. If I don't make that goal, it will probably be on Friday.

Stay tuned for updates and let me know if you have any questions.
Last edited by windspeaker; Aug 19, 2017 at 01:20 AM.
Aug 18, 2017, 10:55 PM
Live Free and Fly
Thanks for the update. I'm keeping my eye on this one.

EDIT: I just bought one from BG and will soon join this club of two. I've been through lots of different FC/OSD systems, currently Pitlab is my favorite system and I have two of them installed in a Finwing Sabre and Mini Talon, but am looking for a cheap alternative that includes both FC and OSD. If this controls the plane as good as the much cheaper Bigaole BGL-6G-AP FC does (but with no OSD), I'll be satisfied.
Last edited by bmw111; Aug 18, 2017 at 11:34 PM.
Aug 24, 2017, 12:58 AM
Sittin' on a hill
I spent some time trying to configure it for my rainbow wing tonight. I got a few new bits of knowledge from this.

When in wing mode, the fc automatically mixes the signals to the servos. Do not set up a delta mix on your transmitter.

There seems to be no way to change around roll vs pitch commands in the fc. I was only working through the osd since the software is minimal. I will continue trying to fix this. Changing the roll and pitch channels on my transmitter did allow proper control surface in manual mode but it also messed up the controls when working in the osd. I fear this fix may also cause stabilized and rth modes to fail. I will continue trying to properly solve this tomorrow.

I really want this flight controller to work. I like it a lot but so far it is just lacking in customization.
Aug 25, 2017, 01:07 PM
Live Free and Fly
I'm assuming there is a way to "fix" servo direction in the software. This is a basic and common issue to all flight controllers, and if they left that out it would make it a complete dud. Here's hoping you figure it out before I get mine.

Aug 25, 2017, 01:41 PM
Sittin' on a hill
I did just figure it out. I just hadn't spent enough time playing with it. I had to reverse both servos through the plane settings on the OSD. Now my elevator stick controls pitch in the proper direction and my aileron stick controls roll in the proper direction. Even the automatic corrections seem to move the control surfaces in the correct direction. The only thing missing now is a GPS link so I can verify my throttle works properly. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to calibrate the ESC endpoints with this.

I have everything mounted to my Rainbow wing except for the GPS antenna, and that will be attached as soon as I get a link and verify that it's working. If all goes well I'll have a test flight video by the end of the day.

Update: Flight test did not work because the plane wasn't set up well. I ended up hitting the ground pretty hard on launch and will need to remove the wood protective housing that came with the plane and replace it with something else. In the meantime I can't provide any info on how this system performs in the air.
Last edited by windspeaker; Aug 26, 2017 at 11:21 AM.
Aug 26, 2017, 10:35 PM
Live Free and Fly
Thanks for the update. I should have mine in a couple of days, along with motor and ESC for the wing I'm building. Will be realistically a week or two before I can test fly this setup but again, thanks for the information. I will report here once things get rolling.
Aug 27, 2017, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by windspeaker
I did just figure it out. I just hadn't spent enough time playing with it. I had to reverse both servos through the plane settings on the OSD. Now my elevator stick controls pitch in the proper direction and my aileron stick controls roll in the proper direction. Even the automatic corrections seem to move the control surfaces in the correct direction. The only thing missing now is a GPS link so I can verify my throttle works properly. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to calibrate the ESC endpoints with this.

I have everything mounted to my Rainbow wing except for the GPS antenna, and that will be attached as soon as I get a link and verify that it's working. If all goes well I'll have a test flight video by the end of the day.

Update: Flight test did not work because the plane wasn't set up well. I ended up hitting the ground pretty hard on launch and will need to remove the wood protective housing that came with the plane and replace it with something else. In the meantime I can't provide any info on how this system performs in the air.

Windspeaker, what do you think about the gps ? How many satelites it captured during your test ? I want to order one from BG but it seems the only have option B available at the moment.
Sep 01, 2017, 09:15 AM
Hello all...
This flight controller has my attention, but being new to all this stuff, I have a couple a few basic questions.

Since some of the configuration needs to be done using the OSD, what kind of video transmitter/ground receiver do I need for this?

Second, do I need a camera connected for the OSD to work for configuring?

Lastly, do the servo power and ground wires connect directly to the FC pins (this will bake some controllers), or do they get connected together, and run to the power and ground on the BEC?
Is there a basic wiring diagram around?

Thank you for your time.

Ed
Sep 01, 2017, 09:21 AM
It's now available in bundle "A" with GPS as of this morning..still waiting to see someone fly it first then i'll pick it up for a Ranger Kit I've had in my attic for a year
Sep 01, 2017, 09:41 AM
Sittin' on a hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed4353
Hello all...
This flight controller has my attention, but being new to all this stuff, I have a couple a few basic questions.

Since some of the configuration needs to be done using the OSD, what kind of video transmitter/ground receiver do I need for this?

Second, do I need a camera connected for the OSD to work for configuring?

Lastly, do the servo power and ground wires connect directly to the FC pins (this will bake some controllers), or do they get connected together, and run to the power and ground on the BEC?
Is there a basic wiring diagram around?

Thank you for your time.

Ed
I'll answer as well as I can. Any video transmitter and receiver that share frequencies will work with this. Frequencies seem to be pretty standard across brands these days so just pick whay you like. The only thing I would stay away from with this is an all in one unit that had the transmitter built into the camera. Most of those don't let you run the video signal out to an OSD and back to the camera.

I read somewhere that no video source is needed for configuration using the OSD. It should work if you only plug it into the vTx. I have not verified this yet.

Servo wires all connect directly to the FC and your BEC needs to run to the FC servo pins too. Usually this will be on the throttle channel. The servo connections all have a common ground with the FC and they have a separated common middle pin. There is no connection between the servo middle pin and the FC circuit board. It's like connecting to a standard receiver.

I don't think there's a wiring diagram around yet. I was able to put it all together from the information in the manual. If there's need for a wiring diagram I can try to make one but I won't promise anything regarding when I'll have time to make it.
Sep 01, 2017, 09:45 AM
Sittin' on a hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtibbs
It's now available in bundle "A" with GPS as of this morning..still waiting to see someone fly it first then i'll pick it up for a Ranger Kit I've had in my attic for a year
I believe bundle A has been available the whole time, unless out went out of stock for a while. That's what I got and as far as I know I was only the first or second order from BG. The GPS and battery sensor are pre wired so you can just plug them in and turn it on. I'll try to put this on a plane I already have working and do a flight test next Friday. I want to be able to show everyone how it works in the air.
Sep 01, 2017, 04:35 PM
Two more questions.
Does anybody know if this FC is capable of auto-level? And how is it activated (switch movement, center the sticks...)
The manual is quite 'challenging' to figure out.
Thank you again.
Ed