Top 5 R/C Airplanes of 2017 - RC Groups

Top 5 R/C Airplanes of 2017

Jason highlights his top 5 RC Airplanes of 2017. These planes are new, cool and great for the everyday pilot.

Splash

Jason's Favorite Planes of the Year - So Far

With summer winding down and fall approaching, I was looking back and thinking how fast this year has been moving by. It's been a good one so far with lots of great new products in the hobby. I like it all and that makes it hard for me decide on what to buy, keep or play with as there is no way I could do it all, much less store it all. That got me thinking what planes I would choose if I could only have five. There's no way I could choose from planes of all time, so I narrowed it down to just planes that came out this year. I'm still not sure this list is final and there are certainly new planes coming out before 2018 so I'll reserve the right to edit this list if I feel the need. Be sure to let us know what your top 5 planes are in the comments section below.

1. Armsoar Composites Go Mini DLG

I had to put this at the top as flying gliders is very special to me. It's how I got started in the hobby and it will always be one of my favorite aspects. The Go Mini is so special because it performs well and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. The largest barrier keeping pilots from trying a DLG is the high cost of 1.5M size kits. The Go Mini performs nearly as well, but being smaller, makes it easier to travel with and the price is much much lower to get it going.

Check out the Go Mini Article here

2. Durafly Color Tundra

Now the Tundra wasn't released in 2017, but the Color Anniversary Editions were and those new color schemes are awesome. The Tundra is an iconic sport plane that flys great and can be fun for anyone. You can put it on floats, skiis, or use the giant bush wheels and fly from any terrain. It's sized just right and it won the RCGroups Terry Award for favorite airplane last year. You can't go wrong with the Tundra.

Check out the Tundra Color Anniversary Edition Article here

3. RiteWing Hardcore 44

This is one of the best FPV wings I've had my hands on. The Hardcore 44 is fast, smooth and purposefully designed. You can race it, bash it, fly proximity or just cruise the tree lines. You can do it all, from the pilot's seat with FPV.

Check out the Hardcore 44 Review Article here

4. E-flite UMX Timber

The UMX Timber won't be here until September, but it's already on my list. This micro version of the Timber is going to be amazing. It has some great features like functional flaps, LED lights, leading edge slats and optional floats and you know it is going to fly well with AS3X. We cannot wait to get our hands on one of these little guys.

Check out the UMX Timber Article here

5. E-flite X-Vert

The E-flite X-Vert is a cool new concept. VTOL planes aren't new, but ones that work well and are fun to fly are not that common. The X-Vert performs great, but more than that, it is pure joy to fly. Jim T and I recently went to the field with two of them and we had a blast. The transitions from hover to forward flight and back works flawlessly and the small size means I can take it with me anywhere.

Check out the E-flite X-Vert Article here

Aug 08, 2017, 10:45 AM
A man with too many toys

The new Tundra

Seams like STOL airplanes have become extremely popular in the past two years. I think one of the STOL airplanes will be at the top of the list again this year. They are just so much fun to fly. Fly off land, water, beach, wet grass, snow, I have even seen them landed on house roofs, just about everything. The best for LOS or FPV flying. I also like my Tundra for some aerial photography.

I predict that Tundra or Timber will be the winner.

Aug 08, 2017, 01:46 PM
Build to fly, fly to fix
2 out of 5 are not "planes"
Aug 08, 2017, 01:59 PM
RCG Staff
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckbot
2 out of 5 are not "planes"
Say what??? All of those are airplanes....
Aug 08, 2017, 02:23 PM
Any chance you've had an opportunity to spend some time with the Valiant 1.3?

The Tundra, Timber, Fun Cub, and Dynam Primo are no longer on my radar because of it. Has flaps and flys great on floats too.
Aug 08, 2017, 02:26 PM
All 5 appear to be planes to me.
If they aren't planes, what are they ?

Only plane I have out of those is the X-Vert
That is a blast to fly.
IMO, the 1.3 m Valiant should be in the top 5
Aug 08, 2017, 04:11 PM
RCG Staff
I have flown the Valiant 1.3M and it is nice too and deserves to be at the top. I think the Tundra is a little more versatile though and that's why I went with it.
Aug 08, 2017, 06:31 PM
A man with too many toys
You don't realize how much fun you can have with a Tundra until you own one. Many people have more than one.

I fly mine a lot with wheels but I wish I lived closer to a lake. I have not done much lake flying but but it sure was fun and relaxing to shoot tough and gos on a glass smooth lake. Some of those photos and videos of lake flying at sunset make me want to move.

Aug 08, 2017, 07:01 PM
I think the e-Flite Carbon Z Cessna 150 is a great plane. It flies great and looks awesome. It is my favorite. I can't wait to see the larger Tundra that Hobby King recently announced. The Strix Stratosurfer has my attention for FPV.
Aug 08, 2017, 08:38 PM
RCG Staff
I'm flying the Cessna tomorrow on the Lake!
Aug 08, 2017, 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole
I'm flying the Cessna tomorrow on the Lake!
Where? I want to try float flying. I need to find a place near me.
Aug 09, 2017, 03:33 AM
CRASHING IS THE EASY PART
how can the umx timber be a top 5 if it isnt out yet i would say the standard size Timber yes but not umx
Aug 09, 2017, 06:55 AM
RCG Staff
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLHS592
Where? I want to try float flying. I need to find a place near me.
The Hamilton Creek Sailboat Marina on Percy Preist Lake.
Aug 09, 2017, 07:57 AM
Build to fly, fly to fix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole
Say what??? All of those are airplanes....
Jason, i know its all subjective and it's all meant to be in fun, but things like the X-Vert or the wing are not what i would traditionally consider as a plane. IMHO, the E-flite Cessna 150 or my favorite the Flex Innovations Cessna 170 would be great candidates to round up the list.

But it's your list not mine, have fun flying! Cheers!
Aug 09, 2017, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckbot
Jason, i know its all subjective and it's all meant to be in fun, but things like the X-Vert or the wing are not what i would traditionally consider as a plane. IMHO, the E-flite Cessna 150 or my favorite the Flex Innovations Cessna 170 would be great candidates to round up the list.

But it's your list not mine, have fun flying! Cheers!
Is the B2 Bomber not an airplane?