DPL 8x2: any news on unbalanced charge limit? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 08, 2017, 12:16 AM
ltc
ltc
AMA 97737
Question

DPL 8x2: any news on unbalanced charge limit?

Hello
Was there ever any news or firmware update regarding the 2A current limit when charging "no balance connector" LiIon packs?

Thanks !
to remove ads between posts
Aug 09, 2017, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltc
Hello
Was there ever any news or firmware update regarding the 2A current limit when charging "no balance connector" LiIon packs?

Thanks !
Because of the inherent liability risk with unbalanced LiXX charging, the max 2S and 2A limits on unbalanced LiXX charges still exists in the PL firmware.

However we are currently designing a whole set of software changes to formally support LiXX Smart Battery (with internal balancers) which may address your needs. It will most likely *require* the use of the BumpTags and either the Bump Controller or any of the new (available soon) PowerLab Touch series of chargers.

ITC - are you needing to charge a Smart Battery ? how big ? how many amps ??

ITC & EVERYONE - please provide us with all of your use-cases for unbalanced LiXX charging so we can use that input to shape the design of the feature.
Aug 09, 2017, 01:54 PM
ltc
ltc
AMA 97737
Hi,
In this particular instance, the battery is a Jeti Li-Ion 2s 2600mAH, part number RB2600. 2 each per airplane for Receiver/Servo power. It is not a smart battery.

It has NO internal balancer electronics, just matched cells by the manufacturer (Jeti) at time of assembly. There is no balance lead.

The information is here:
http://www.jetimodel.com/en/katalog/...es/LiIon-Accu/
http://www.jetimodel.com/en/katalog/...r-Ion-RB-2600/
http://www.jetimodel.com/en/show-file/716/

They are capable of being (safely) charged at more than 2A, which is why I asked the question.

The only other batteries I own which do not have balance leads are from Duraflite (I guess they could be considered Smart) They are their Sentinel series of batteries, which have internal balance electronics and would not be charged with my Powerlabs.

My Windows/Android 9.7" dual boot tablet is en route, so I will be buying a BumpController for my DLP8x2 charging case, so if I had to use a BumpTag, that would not be a problem for me to be able to get more than 2A unbalanced charge for these batteries.

As always, thank you for your assistance and support.
Aug 24, 2017, 11:11 AM
You can do it now. Just requires a little lateral thinking. I charge these, and 3, 4s and higher cell counts lithium ion, cobalt, etc batteries for years while waiting for a fix that never happened (so far). We can but hope.

Just email me. burgerman@ntlworld.com
Last edited by JohnWilliamson; Aug 24, 2017 at 11:18 AM.
Aug 24, 2017, 02:12 PM
ltc
ltc
AMA 97737
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWilliamson
You can do it now. Just requires a little lateral thinking. I charge these, and 3, 4s and higher cell counts lithium ion, cobalt, etc batteries for years while waiting for a fix that never happened (so far). We can but hope.

Just email me. burgerman@ntlworld.com
Thank you, but I'm fine waiting for Revolectrix to provide updates beyond current capability. 2A is fine for the few 'non balanced' packs that I have. Higher current would be faster, but not a deal breaker.

I can use my existing PL chargers on my Duralite A123 and LiIon Sentinel (internal balance electronics) in Unbalanced Discharge Only mode to to determine capacity; the Duralite charger provides 'blind charging', but honestly if I know the capacity out of the pack, thats good enough for now.