RiteWing Mini Drak with Connex HD FPV Review - RC Groups

RiteWing Mini Drak with Connex HD FPV Review

We take the RiteWing Mini Drak and put the Connex ProSight HD FPV System on board to make the ultimate HD FPV cruiser.

Splash

Introduction

Wingspan: 40" (1016mm)
Length: 27" (686mm)
Flying Weight: 2lbs 13oz
Motor: RiteWing 2814 1700kv
ESC: Cobra 60A Wing ESC
Receiver: Jeti R6L
Prop: APC 7x5E
Servos: Hitec HS-225MG
Battery: Glacier 4S 3300 45C
Available From: RiteWing
Kit Price: $175

The Drak and Mini Drak FPV kits from RiteWing are legendary. They are fast, efficient, fly extremely well and they are designed to break down to a small package for transport. They are the go anywhere, do anything utility FPV planes that you can't help but to want one, or in some cases, several in your hangar.

I was excited to get my hands on the Mini Drak and I decided to do something a little different with it. I went with an HD FPV system, the Connex ProSight, along an upgrade antenna system from Video Aerial Systems.

What's in the Box

• Molded EPP foam wings and fuselage
  • Coroplast fins and covers
  • Carbon spars
  • Balsa elevons
  • Laminate covering
  • Control and motor mounting hardware

Additional Gear

Here are all the components used on this build. Hitec provided the servos, Innov8tive Designs provided the ESC, and BuddyRC provided the batteries. These are all great products and highly recommended for your build.

Assembly

The build is really straight forward, but here's a good video to watch if you are putting one together for the first time.

Here's some photos of my build. I decided I liked the stock grey foam with red fins so I didn't do any painting or laminating of the wings or fuse. I don't really care all that much what my FPV planes look like since when flying FPV, you never seen the plane. I have seen some amazing trim schemes though and you can really make it your own this way.

Flying

Getting the Mini Drak in the air is really easy. I used about 75% power and chucked it in to the air at an upward angle. You'll see it in the video, but it has more than enough power and authority to climb out from there with no fuss. It's one of the easier flying wings to launch that I've owned.

Once in the air, you can really tell how slippery this airframe is. It's fast, even at lower throttle settings, but you can bleed that speed off, albeit with some spaced used up, and it will cruise around relatively slowly and remain stable doing it. Full throttle is very fast and the MD will cover some ground quickly when you need/want to.

The Mini Drak tracks nicely and allows you to carve up some nice lines and get down low. With the rates turned down, you can feel confident enough to fly proximity around trees and other obstacles without over controlling and it is really fun blasting around the sky. Getting it down is the same as any other plane, just fly it to the ground and put it down flat and it will slide to a stop. It's easy enough to land LOS or via FPV, whichever you prefer, just be ready to take up some space to bleed off the airspeed.

I've got about a dozen flights on the Mini Drak so far and I'm getting it dialed in to where I'm happy. My rates were pretty high at first on the Elevator so I reduced the throw there, but I liked the roll rate it had so I left the aileron function at 100%. I must say that after flying the Mini Drak, it's hard to want to fly any other FPV plane I have. When I'm racing, I'll still be using the Hardcore 44, but for anything else, the MD is what I run out the door with, it's just that good.

HD FPV - What's it all about

Now let's talk about the Connex ProSight HD FPV system. The install couldn't have been easier and I like having the pack voltage in the camera OSD built in. It would have been really nice for this system to integrate in with the Vector to see all of its OSD data, but at least I know what my battery voltage is. Flying from the HD view is where it's at! You can see everything better, it's crisp, clean and detailed. I read some reports of people having overheating issues with their vtx, but I have not experienced that yet with over a dozen flights now. It does get hot, but it has airflow and has stayed within normal operating temps during all of my flights thus far.

I'm using the Genesis antenna system from VAS and this is the linear one. I really want to try out the polarized version to see if there is much of a difference. For the most part, the signal was perfect. Once or twice, while I was down low, I did get some digital breakup. It's very different than static on an analog FPV system. I had the vector ready to take over just in case something worse happened to the signal, but it was never bad enough that I couldn't fly through it for the brief moments it took place. My guess is the CP antenna version will be better suited for the style of flying I want to do with the Drak, flying low around trees and other obstacles. I don't need to get miles away, I just want good coverage for a large field to play in and the linear set worked well for this too. Connex has a new camera out now that should be even better, so the future of HD FPV is looking very bright.

Video

Photos

Conclusion

I can only come to one conclusion, the Mini Drak is awesome! It rips in the air and is fun for cruising, proximity and so much more. It does it all and it flys great, but even more than that, it's packed with features that make FPV Life more pleasant like the pre-cut component bays, easy hatches and removable wings. All that combined with the awesome flight characteristics and it's no wonder the Mini Drak is so popular among FPV wing enthusiasts.

Links

Check out the Mini Drak FPV Wing at RiteWing

Keep up with the latest on the RCGroups RiteWing Build Thread

RCGroups.com Review Policies

Our intent is to provide fair and unbiased reviews so that consumers can make informed decisions regarding new products. Some things you should know about our review process:

• RCGroups.com review items are provided by hobby manufacturers and suppliers, some of whom may be RCGroups advertisers.
  • Review products are sent directly to independent reviewers, chosen by RCGroups.com.
  • RCGroups.com reviewers are not compensated by either RCGroups.com or the reviewed item's supplier. However, they are allowed to keep the review items at no charge.
  • Published reviews reflect the opinion of the author.
  • When a conflict arises between a review sponsor and a reviewer (which is rare), RCGroups attempts to work out a satisfactory solution for all parties. In some cases, this may mean that a finished review will go unpublished, or be subjected to editing for technical accuracy. RCGroups reserves the final say as to whether an article is fit for publication.

It is always our intent to provide a place for honest and open commentary, and to put the needs of our visitors first. If you feel that something we've published is inaccurate, please let us know using the contact form.

Aug 14, 2017, 08:29 PM
Master of Disaster!
Nicely done review! It's about time!

If you ain't flying a Drak you ain't FLYIN"! My personal favorite is the Daddy Drak but the Mini is a hoot as well. I am currently building Chris Klick's new Mini Drak Extended Wing Set (available in both Plank style and Forward Swept Drak Style, I've gone with the Drak style). With the extended wing set the MD is convertable from a high speed ripper to a long range tripper!

I have an original 68" span Proto Drak, 2 Big Draks, and 2 Mini Draks. I guess you could say I have a Drak "thing"!
Aug 16, 2017, 04:59 PM
So, how about some review of the Connex HD? Interesting stuff like real-world range, what breakup looks like and how fast it reconnects, latency effect, etc.
Aug 16, 2017, 05:02 PM
RCG Admin
Matt's working on a review for that. He's got both the Linear and CP versions of the antenna system I used and a recorder to capture the footage from the Connex receiver.
Aug 17, 2017, 02:54 AM
Mum is the word!
Drakmaster Ripping the MD!!

Mini Drak Low in the cornfields PART 2 (2 min 51 sec)
Aug 17, 2017, 12:27 PM
That's the most exciting video of field corn I've ever seen!

Almost hit those power lines at 1:35..
Aug 17, 2017, 12:33 PM
RCG Admin
Very nice!
Aug 21, 2017, 08:00 AM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Interesting
Aug 25, 2017, 09:07 PM
Something I would like to mention about the md is not only is it fast and agile but it fits in the cab of my truck and easily flies out 4-5 miles with just a 3900 mah 4s. Even though the vtx and uhf are in the fuse, I could get more range which surprises me. I really just use it as a fast cruiser. I couln't use the hd system unless the range was good enough.
Last edited by Kreskin; Aug 26, 2017 at 10:16 PM.
Aug 29, 2017, 06:55 PM
Any one that sticks the cameras out of the nose like that with no protection has got more money than brains
Aug 29, 2017, 07:00 PM
RCG Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbackkanga
Any one that sticks the cameras out of the nose like that with no protection has got more money than brains
Some protection helps, but these don't take near the abuse that Mini quads do so it's not as important.
Sep 07, 2017, 10:12 AM
This seems like a fun little plane for LOS and possibly a stepping stone into FPV.
Am I reading this right ... $175 for just the foam, coroplast and some carbon rods?
Sep 07, 2017, 04:25 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
That plane is too fast for the ProSightHD....

Try fixed-wing flying with ProSightHD video is best for slow/fun airplanes....
ie....my RMRC StratoSurfer with moving cockpit/joystick
Sep 07, 2017, 08:04 PM
fly by night
why do you say it is too fast for Prosight? You mean in HQ mode there is too much latency? Even more latency when used with certain HD goggles?

or do you mean you outfly the Prosight range too quickly with a fast Drak?

I am thinking of putting my Prosight on my race wing, actually. When used in HP+ mode it is very low latency, perfect for racing. I have it in a scale slow plane now and it is a bit too boring to fly. Might consider a Drak for it too.
Sep 07, 2017, 09:22 PM
RCG Admin
HP+ mode was too zoomed in for my liking. I prefer HQ mode with the Drak. The slightly higher latency hasn't bothered me yet and it looks fantastic.