Aug 08, 2019, 08:39 PM
I know of a hobby store in my city which is thriving but their target is RC cars, and Drone racing community. The store is loaded with customers lines backs up can't get enough help mostly the drone racing teens and their fathers. I went there one day watching a 13 year old fly around the parking lot was amazing his flying abilities with the drone.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 09, 2019, 03:38 AM
Cool, what City, What store?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490
I know of a hobby store in my city which is thriving but their target is RC cars, and Drone racing community. The store is loaded with customers lines backs up can't get enough help mostly the drone racing teens and their fathers. I went there one day watching a 13 year old fly around the parking lot was amazing his flying abilities with the drone.
Aug 09, 2019, 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlav8r
Cool, what City, What store?

It's called Hobby Action in Tempe, AZ It seems busy when I go there I don't know the people who work there. https://www.hobbyaction.net/

Looks like they have 2 stores now

That's long ways from GA?
Aug 19, 2019, 01:22 AM
AeroDan
Jet Hangar Hobbies-Lakewood, CA. Centrellia Ave., east of the 605 FRWY. Mid-‘80s. HUGE R/C selection. I remember drooling over the box photo from the Pica Cessna 182 Skylane kit at this location. 1/4 scale F-86 was on display here once, with veteran Korean-era fighter pilots seated behind the model. I was about 13-years-old @the time, so I didn’t know what questions to ask, without putting my foot in my mouth. Stocked a GREAT selection of Heller 1/50 scale plastic aircraft kits, so you can bet the farm, along with the livestock, I purchased a couple. Cashier was kind of a blunt-grouch, but he knew what this fat-kid enjoyed/knew what I was talking about.
Last edited by Bell47G2; Oct 04, 2019 at 01:41 AM.
Aug 19, 2019, 12:35 PM
AeroDan
Flying Machine Hobbies-Hawthorne, CA. Mid-80’s. Don’t remember the address. Never got to visit. I called there once to ask a question. Jerk who answered the phone seemed annoyed/hung-over. Oh well.
Aug 30, 2019, 10:53 PM
When I was growing up in Southern California I used to go to hobby store called Hobby Shack in Fountain Valley, CA. I remember looking at the Carl Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 on the shelf in the 1980's. I would ride my bike down there not a penny in my pocket drooling over that I think they got sick of me hanging around there. I found a CG Ultimate on Ebay a few years ago now on my shelf new in the box look at it everyday.
Aug 31, 2019, 11:02 AM
AeroDan
Sounds familiar, kell490. I used to visit the Hobby Shack-La Habra location (west side of Beach Blvd. a few miles north of Imperial Hwy.-1980’s), and there were maybe 2-3 employees there who had people skills. The rest were dyed-in-the-wool SNOBS, who hated young people whom just happened to be smarter then they were. How did they get hired here? Jack-In-The-Box/McDiarrhea’s had a full staff already.
Last edited by Bell47G2; Aug 31, 2019 at 02:49 PM.
Aug 31, 2019, 02:48 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Funny, I visited Cali on business back in the 80ties . I was in my late 20ties but I like the fact that Hobby Shack /Hobby People had there own brand, planes and great values.
I felt it would be a great east coast franchise opportunity and I had the backing.
I could not get HS to take me seriously or even a respectful response.
I think the East coast as the time would have been a great success, hobby shops were lacking even during the building hey day of the hobby.
Sep 01, 2019, 12:23 AM
I don't remember seeing Hobby Shack brand back in the 1970's 80's
Sep 01, 2019, 04:37 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
We had it mail order, bought radios ( aprox ) around 1984 . I think it was the Cirrus brand .
Then picked up my first Global P47 model around -early 90ties .
Model Tech was also their brand ( exclusive ) for some time.
Sep 05, 2019, 10:06 AM
AeroDan
Other major brands @Hobby Shack (1980’s) were “Cox”, “EZ”, “Pilot”, “Thunder Tiger”, & “Leisure”.
Last edited by Bell47G2; Sep 05, 2019 at 11:55 AM.
Sep 25, 2019, 05:30 PM
Win some lose some
Another HobbyTown closed last month that I always enjoyed going to in Charleston S.C.
He sold fuel cheap.
Sep 26, 2019, 01:20 AM
AeroDan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathfinder
Another HobbyTown closed last month that I always enjoyed going to in Charleston S.C.
He sold fuel cheap.
Hi. Was this a “Hobbytown-USA”? There’s one down the freeway from me (Corona). I HOPE it’s not next on the chopping block, although I haven’t visited this location in OVER a year.
Last edited by Bell47G2; Sep 26, 2019 at 12:16 PM.

Quick Reply