Jan 09, 2019, 10:19 AM
AeroDan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibo
I know what you mean. We just lost our local hobby shop. Been around for many years. Mom and pop shop. Retirement closed it up. My kids are in their 20s now. But I can get them out to shoot ,fish and hunt snakes n bugs at night. I bought my daughter an rc truck and she loves it. It's a volcano epx. I bought her the full hop up kit and said here you go. She did the work herself. I had a 4wd buggy kit in the mid 80s myself. I wanted that rc10 so bad. Being in the Army then though I was in the field a whole lot then I got married. I'm only into rc monster trucks now.
I remember back in the Mid-80’s, if you were a pre-teen male, and you weren’t into R/C cars, you “played with dolls”. Had a Tamiya “Hornet”. Basically, a hopped-up “Grasshopper”. Painted it just like the one on the box illustration. Took it to a local track (Hobbybench Raceway-Glendora: Now Defunct), and ALL the intoxicated/shirtless/tattooed “idiots” there were all GREEN with envy. WHY? They all had Team Associated RC-10’s. Left me in the dust. Strange, HIGHLY-COMPETITIVE environment. I wanted a Tamiya “Bruiser” (4x4), but it cost about $1,000 for everything to get it to run right.
Last edited by Bell47G2; Feb 01, 2019 at 07:13 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 10, 2019, 05:24 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Ha ha
I lived that exactly so so true
Jan 31, 2019, 12:35 PM
AeroDan
R Hobbies, La Mirada, CA. La Mirada Blvd., just east of Valley View Blvd. Owner stocked/knew more about model trains than ANYONE else I knew. Claimed he knew a quartet of retired gentlemen from the L.V. area who would make an annual road trip down to his shop EVERY year and spend about $2,500.00 between the 4 of them in model train goods. Stocked “ZERO” R/C Aero. Had a GREAT selection of plastic aircraft, though. Spent a little over a hundred bucks there once (‘05; I wasn’t married yet). Owner seemed QUITE surprised/offended that I wasn’t really into paint-balling.
Last edited by Bell47G2; Feb 13, 2019 at 12:44 PM.
Feb 03, 2019, 10:28 AM
AeroDan
Century Models-Anaheim. Eastside of Beach Blvd, about 3-5 miles south of Knott’s Berry Farm. Mid-‘80’s/‘90’s. Stocked a few Tamiya R/C cars. Mostly Plastic Kits. Bought a few items here. Helped a pretty woman shopping there find a 1/48 HueyCobra (Fujimi: Bell AH-1Q TOW-Cobra: Tube-launched, Optically-tracked, Wire-guided) Kit for her husband who fractured his leg at work, & was ordered by his doctor to stay home for 3-months, and his wife didn’t want him moapng around the house, feeling sorry for himself, without anything to do. I was just a dumb-little-fat-12-year-old kid, but I embarrassed/ticked-off the store employee, who couldn’t find a Bell 209-type for her. I guess he couldn’t wait to get to that barstool of his.
Last edited by Bell47G2; Feb 13, 2019 at 12:42 PM.
Feb 16, 2019, 06:45 PM
Local Hobbytown closed at the end of January. His inventory was really dwindling before Christmas so I suspected something. Toward the end I struck up a conversation and he mentioned his lease was expiring and he could not find affordable rent so decided to simply close.
Feb 16, 2019, 07:47 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
I was in Matthews NC last week and spoke with the really nice guys from Dymond Models, they were telling me that another shop in North Carolina was closing , did not know the name but it was a good shop per the guys at Dymond
Feb 20, 2019, 12:16 AM
AeroDan
Young’s Hobby Models-Diamond Bar, CA. SW corner of Diamond Bar Blvd. @Grand Ave. Early 90’s. “0” R/C; ALL plastics. Owner was nice. Not many LHS’s w/carpet. He knew I knew what I was talking about. He didn’t seem perturbed by that, like some. I mostly bought supplies/tools from here (Testor’s 1/4 oz. enamels/X-acto #11’s). Small selection of kits.
Feb 20, 2019, 12:29 AM
AeroDan
Didactic Computer Company-Rowland Heights, CA. SW corner of Colima Rd. @Fullerton Rd. Mid-Late 80’s. Elderly Mom/Pop shop. No R/C Aero, just the basic Tamiya R/C Car line. Had a build service ($15/hour). Mostly plastics. I remember blowing Christmas/Birthday money here. Owner’s didn’t mind.
Feb 22, 2019, 03:52 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Did hobbywarehouse in MN close ?
I loved that place, tons of used goods, new and friendly servace
Apr 03, 2019, 03:31 PM
Predictions from 2017

http://www.uavexpertnews.com/2017/01...ants-flounder/
Jun 25, 2019, 12:01 PM
AeroDan
After 71-YEARS, Evett’s Hobby Shop @1636 Ocean Park Blvd. Santa Monica, CA has closed. I heard the original owner was VERY NICE, and would give FREE R/C flight instruction @Sepulveda Basin (Apollo XI Field). Never got to visit, but I heard the selection @the shop was ENORMOUS!!! www.evettsmodelshop.com
Last edited by Bell47G2; Jun 25, 2019 at 01:48 PM.
Yesterday, 12:27 PM
AeroDan
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlav8r
While the brick & mortars are folding, the e-stores are thriving? Doesn’t surprise me.
Yesterday, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell47G2
While the brick & mortars are folding, the e-stores are thriving? Doesn’t surprise me.
The doing the Math section is telling for both E and B&M shops and both segments are way down.
Yesterday, 12:35 PM
AeroDan
I prefer brick & mortars. Had my bank-card info compromised online by teenyboppers once. I prefer paying in-person w/cash. Just my personal-preference.

Quick Reply