RMRC Recruit FPV Wing - RCGroups Review - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

RMRC Recruit FPV Wing - RCGroups Review

The Recruit is an entry-level FPV flying-wing that's packed with features! Equipped with a gyro and flight gear, the ReadyMadeRC recruit will get new and seasoned FPV pilots up and flying quickly - plus, it's just a blast to fly! Let's take a look at this lightweight first-person-view wing.

RMRC Recruit FPV Wing - RCGroups Review

Beginner Friendly. Pro Approved.

Product:Recruit FPV Wing PNP
Price:$84.99
Wingspan:900mm (35.5")
Flying Weight:660g w/ FPV, Runcam 3, and 3s 2200mAH
Motor:2204 2300kv
ESC:30A
Servos:2x 9g analog
Propeller:6x3
VTx used:RMRC Cricket Pro
FPV Cam:Runcam Swift 2 w/ OSD
HD Cam used:Runcam 3

Making the switch from quads to wings, or vice versa, has always been labeled as a "come over to the dark side" event; a rift between the two types of FPV airframes can exist from a pilot's perspective, and the ultimate outcome is usually based on the pilot's airframe choice and overall experience flying. Chosing a high performance fixed-wing platform as your transition aircraft is a bad decision no matter how much experience you have piloting multirotors. Additionally, a new pilot with very little stick time on any type of airframe will also benefit from an easy to launch, easy to land, and docile flying wing.

Knowing that the multi-guys and gals will most likely want to try their hands at fixed-wing FPV sooner or later, the team at ReadyMadeRC thought it wise to add a relatively tame flying wing to their broad stable of FPV airplanes. The Recruit from RMRC is a 900mm (35.5") EPP-foam flying wing with a very respectable price tag , a light wing loading, and great flight-performance across the envelope; it comes with a 2-axis gyro installed! In this review, I'll show you what it takes to get the Recruit flying with a solid FPV system, then show you how to launch this little wing effectively, and finally provide you with an overall flight review. Let's get started!

What's Included?

ReadyMadeRC sent me the PNP version, which includes all electronics, minus FPV and radio gear. This version will sell for $84.99, while the RTF version will sell for $159.99 and includes a Flysky FS-14X 2.4GHz Transmitter, receiver, and a RMRC 3s 2200mAh LiPo.

Upon opening the box, I was greeted by a well-packaged Recruit with the analog 9-gram servos installed and linkages setup. The esc and motor were also installed, as was the 2-axis gyro stabilizer. Options to run different HD cameras are included; a pair of wood brackets and foam nose-covers allow for a cube HD camera such as the GoPro Session or Runcam 3, and a standard sized GoPro as well. If you don't install any of the wood brackets, you can use a flat HD camera such as the Foxeer Legend or Runcam 2. I permanently glued in the cube bracket with some FoamTac and used foam nose piece designed for the cube.

The wing tips also need to be installed, and they secure with a pair of wood screws on each tip; the fit was perfect and no additional glue was required. The wings bolt to the fuselage center-section with a pair of thumb screws and are locked in with the square carbon-fiber wing spar. Fully assembled, the Recruit is rigid and ready for service.

FPV Equipment and Final Setup

Note: My Recruit came with the wood battery tray mounted in such a manner that the battery strap was forward near the nose. This caused for a nose-heavy balancing condition that required too much lead-weight on the rear. I removed the battery tray by gently scoring around it's edges with a hobby knife, then rotated it 180-degrees and glued it back in with FoamTac. The result was a battery now located just aft of the CG, and a perfectly balanced Recruit. Depending on which HD camera you use, your experience may vary.

Although the Recruit is capable of long-range runs and can fly for close to 30 minutes with throttle management, I chose to outfit this little wing with a standard 2.5GHz radio-control system and a 5.8GHz FPV setup; the Recruit just begs for a lightweight setup that's designed to teach new pilots the ropes and pull double-duty as a close-proximity airframe.

Transmitter and Gyro Setup

Using a Futaba 14G, I installed the receiver underneath the wing spar and routed the antennas out the top of the motor pod. The servo and esc leads are clearly labeled and easy to hook up: AIL-LEFT servo lead into AIL-LEFT on the gyro, AIL-RIGHT servo lead into AIL-RIGHT on the gyro, and the esc lead into THROTTLE OUT on the gyro.

AILERON IN on the gyro gets connected to channel 1 on the receiver, ELEVATOR IN connects to channel 2 on the receiver, THROTTLE IN goes to channel 3 on the receiver, and MODE IN goes to a switchable channel on the receiver; in my case, channel 5.

The gyro is programmed from the factory and needs no adjustments. Use a 3-position switch to control it's modes from OFF, 2D, and 3D. The gyro's 2D mode levels the aircraft on bank and pitch, while 3D mode stabilized any outside forces such as wind and turbulence while allowing full control.

FPV Setup

RMRC recommends using a power filter when installing FPV equipment. This is due to the noise from the esc translating into lines on your video feed, assuming you're powering your equipment off the main flight battery. A simple 0.7A LC power filter from RMRC was used in-line between the main battery and the VTx.

I mounted the RMRC Cricket Pro 5.8GHz VTx on the left wall of the electronics bay, and cut a slot in the hatch for the Pagoda II antenna to exit.

The Cricket Pro provides output power for the FPV camera, making wiring a painless task. Although the Runcam Eagle 2 is shown in the photos, I used the Runcam Swift 2 for it's built in OSD.

Video Review

Watch the video below for a full flight-performance review!

RMRC Recruit FPV Wing - RCGroups Review (16 min 1 sec)

Conclusion

The Recruit definitely surprised me with it's flight performance; it's my new favorite airframe for a number of reasons. First, the Recruit is affordable. At under $85, you have a PNP wing that only needs basic FPV equipment to get airborne. Second, the Recruit flies very well. The elevons give it plenty of authority, and while the 2204 2300kv motor isn't going to propel this airframe to wing-racing speeds, it definitely scoots. In 3D mode, the gyro doesn't affect throws or bank angles, it just smooths out the turbulence. But it can only do so much! At 660 grams, the Recruit still gets pushed around a little by the wind. Third, the Recruit launches and lands easily. With the included gyro, you can launch in 2D mode and experience hands-off climb outs as the gyro levels the wings and slowly climbs. Finally, the Recruit is stingy with power. I was logging 20-minute flights with varying throttle; I can imagine getting close to 30-minute flights if I dial back the left stick.

The ReadyMadeRC Recruit is a beginner-friendly flying wing that feels great in the hands of any skill-level FPV pilot. It's quick, easy to pilot, and even easier on your bank account. Thanks for reading my review of the ReadyMade RC Recruit. Happy flying!

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Aug 08, 2017 at 11:26 AM..
Aug 08, 2017, 12:05 PM
Wandering IT geek
I think you cheated on that 2D stabilized launch - looks like you're a little bit elevated from the track and I wonder if you wouldn't have been skipping off the ground if you'd been at the same level.

That said I appreciate the time and effort it takes to put one of these reviews together. I'm looking forward to this model.
Aug 08, 2017, 12:07 PM
RCGroups Editor
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin4740
I think you cheated on that 2D stabilized launch - looks like you're a little bit elevated from the track and I wonder if you wouldn't have been skipping off the ground if you'd been at the same level.

That said I appreciate the time and effort it takes to put one of these reviews together. I'm looking forward to this model.
Yep, but a slight increase in throttle would have prevented the sink; I was barely over half throttle.
Aug 08, 2017, 12:44 PM
Multirotors are models too!
Looking forward to this one, Saw it at NAFPV '17, and it looked nice.
Aug 08, 2017, 12:51 PM
the video is shaky prolly cuz the wings are very stiff past the servos. They flex a lot even with being laminated
Aug 08, 2017, 01:01 PM
Yeah, the HD cam video is very bouncy, hard to watch.
Aug 08, 2017, 01:17 PM
RCGroups Editor
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPoonga
Yeah, the HD cam video is very bouncy, hard to watch.
I agree, but I firmly believe that there's some give and take with this wing. It's priced low and comes with a great electronics package. It's so light (660g ready to fly) that it gets bumped around in even light wind, but that light weight makes for long flight times and great handling. From an piloting perspective, it isn't a deal breaker by any means.
Aug 08, 2017, 01:23 PM
Guess Who's Back? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahcs
the video is shaky prolly cuz the wings are very stiff past the servos. They flex a lot even with being laminated
Huh?
Aug 08, 2017, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gunn
I agree, but I firmly believe that there's some give and take with this wing. It's priced low and comes with a great electronics package. It's so light (660g ready to fly) that it gets bumped around in even light wind, but that light weight makes for long flight times and great handling. From an piloting perspective, it isn't a deal breaker by any means.
It is if you want to make videos for people to watch.
Aug 08, 2017, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the review, Matt, I was looking at this style for a small FPV.
Aug 08, 2017, 01:35 PM
RCGroups Editor
Quote:
Originally Posted by fATAL
Thanks for the review, Matt, I was looking at this style for a small FPV.
Anytime. I really like how you can launch and land at a relatively small field if necessary.
Aug 08, 2017, 01:48 PM
I wish it was available in Europe with the stabilizer. Shipping and the import duty will add another 120 $ to the price!
Aug 08, 2017, 01:59 PM
Looks like a solid alternative to the theory type W. if I hadn't bought one of those already I'd give this a try but no need for another one.
Aug 08, 2017, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahcs
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintz2007
Huh?
There is another review out on YouTube that shows the wings on this bird are quite flexible from the servo pocket out to the wingtip. The reviewer laminated the aircraft but that didn't seem to help. The reviewer also put in a power system that was a little over the top so it had some nasty flutter at speed. Almost to the point that it would make it difficult to fly. I think the buffeting you see in Matt's review is more from wing flex than wind pushing the wing around. But with the stock setup it's not horrible. The speed setup in the other review is very bad, to the point that proximity flying would be very difficult. Still interested in the wing, I love the look of it.
Aug 08, 2017, 03:07 PM
Great review Matt!

-Dustin