FrSky new arrival - Full range ultra mini redundancy receiver R-XSR! - Page 3 - RC Groups
Aug 11, 2017, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaintr
Hello,

What is an inverted and non inverted telemetry? I normally use X4RSB with SBUS connection and I connect it's Smartport to RX on the FC to get the telemetry and that's all. So is this inverted or non inverted connection?
It's explained in the mod by blckmn: Some flight controllers (F1, F4) require non-inverted smartport signal, others (F3, F7) do require inverted signal input. Therefore, you have to modify the RX according to FC's needs...
to remove ads between posts
Aug 11, 2017, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RePli
It's explained in the mod by blckmn: Some flight controllers (F1, F4) require non-inverted smartport signal, others (F3, F7) do require inverted signal input. Therefore, you have to modify the RX according to FC's needs...

I see. Thanks for the answer. So I guess X4RSB has an inverted smart port because I've been using it with F3 and Kiss FCs just by connecting the cable. I don't know how to convert a non inverted signal to inverted signal or vice versa, but probably I don't need to know it unless in case I buy the new R XSR and it doesn't have an inverted smartport.
Aug 12, 2017, 06:38 PM
The geek in Rotorgeeks
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_mark_evans
Well, that depends on where you shop, even some frsky dealers don't adhere to your prices and are still selling the XSR at the original full price, but that's another story..
If you only knew the games this company plays with its dealers...
Aug 13, 2017, 06:53 PM
The pricing if its accurate @ $19.99 is pretty good.
I wonder if the xm+->R-XSR->RB setup would work..
I have a 1/5.5 scale gas p-51 I may use this in if it does..
Aug 14, 2017, 08:23 AM
Krotow
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_mark_evans
Ahh i get it now.

Winner all round then and no need for the regular XSR anymore?.

Frsky really upping the game!
Circuit miniaturization doesn't always end up well. This thing still should be tested in real models to prove it worth. Including racing quads with their noisy 5V voltage rail However I see that this may be a next receiver for mine micro brushless quad with one extra UART.
Aug 14, 2017, 08:26 AM
Krotow
Quote:
I believe that SmartPort have input FROM FC and not in other way. FC doesn't require anything - it only CAN send inverted or non-inverted signal from serial port to SmartPort.
Aug 14, 2017, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krotow
I believe that SmartPort have input FROM FC and not in other way. FC doesn't require anything - it only CAN send inverted or non-inverted signal from serial port to SmartPort.
A true headache with these inverted and uninverted SBUS and SmartPort signals... SBUS is input to FC and SmartPort is output from FC...
There is a good article on that by Oscar Liang:
https://oscarliang.com/sbus-smartport-telemetry-naze32/
Aug 15, 2017, 11:33 AM
Let's FPV in Middle TN!
Quote:
Does the R-XSR support inverted AND non-inverted telemetry signal?
If not: Can the inversion mod (soldering) be applied just like on the XSR?

see here: https://blck.mn/2016/12/smartport-fr...flight-part-2/
Came here to ask this exact question. Non-inverted Smart Port telemetry signal is needed for F4 flight controllers, which are becoming the standard.

Having to do the "work around" linked is annoying on the XSR, as it's pointless to have a connector when you have to solder on a wire anyway for telemetry. It would be nice to have inverted and non-inverted signals on the connector, or better for me, just solder pads for everything like on XM+ and also have a non-inverted telemetry.

If this is for racers and minimum/micro builds, I think I speak for many others. connectors add to stack height and we end up having to splice all the wires anyway. May as well make it one solder connection at the component and we can use whatever length of quality silicone wire we want to make it clean and minimal.
Aug 15, 2017, 06:39 PM
Krotow
Probably stupid question, but I'm still a newbie in FrSky world. Do anybody know why SmartPort is not a simple serial port RX? And why port output inversion was permanently dropped in F4 after having it in F3?
Aug 15, 2017, 08:06 PM
Quote:
Probably stupid question, but I'm still a newbie in FrSky world. Do anybody know why SmartPort is not a simple serial port RX? And why port output inversion was permanently dropped in F4 after having it in F3?
I don't know about the smartport but I heard the F3 actually came after the F4. It is slower but has much more options.
Aug 15, 2017, 08:51 PM
Quote:
Not specifically but SmartPort is more than just a serial input to the receiver. It is a bi-directional protocol. A sensor must be polled before it can send its value(s) to the receiver. Also the SmartPort interface is used on a Receiver to flash the RX firmware.

The simple answer may be that FrSky designed it that way and its design may have been limited by the chip set that was used on the first RX that implemented it...probably the X8R which came out in 2013.
Last edited by pressalltheknobs; Aug 15, 2017 at 09:03 PM.
Aug 17, 2017, 08:39 AM
Will this work with Taranis x9D plus LBT version?
Aug 17, 2017, 11:36 AM
Yes
Aug 24, 2017, 12:06 PM
AKA 8178 - MIke Dailey
My review on the R-XSR is here https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Micro-Receiver

Mike
Aug 24, 2017, 12:56 PM
Armattan Spy
I am assuming this has the normal inverted signal on S-Port, can you please tell us where to tap into the uninverted signal so we can get telemetry working on our F4s?