Sep 22, 2018, 10:59 AM
At 18C the battery lasts 3 minutes 20 seconds. Should have plenty of duration with throttle modulation.

My EL-39 loads the battery with 17C on full throttle and 10C average. I fly for 4,5-5 minutes safely with plenty left over.
Last edited by Lynxman; Sep 22, 2018 at 11:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 22, 2018, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle
When you get a jet that can handle a 20s 10ah pack, then lower performance cells really become a viable option. Even a full power run is only hitting roughly 180a which would be only 18c, and cruising, rolls and inverted flight might be done at 10c or less with short bursts of 15c or so for loops and eights.
Since the Sprint is not designed for high speed anyway, cruising and aerobatic amp draws are what's important.
Oh, and the math suddenly becomes really easy too
Yep, that's what I am doing. I'm using 25C batteries in my Xcalibur+. I have swapped out the motor I used on the first flights, which needed 19S to give decent performance. My current setup pulls roughly 150A on 18S, using 25C 9000mAh Gensace batteries I only pull 16.67C @ full throttle. And considering my average Amp draw is around 70-75A they do a pretty good job. I save weight and money using batteries like this instead of the latest and greatest 65C batteries.
Sep 23, 2018, 09:51 AM
Lee Liddle

Winter Project

Driving down to near Austin to pick up my next Cat 8 project. $300 plus a 7 hour round trip.
Sep 23, 2018, 12:18 PM
Thread OP
Quite the steal at that price. Looking forward to seeing how light you can build her. An oz or 2 here and there goes a long way in the end. Post some specs when you have a chance....airframe weight with and without the various components.
Sep 23, 2018, 12:24 PM
3d and EDF, some scale
Sweet Lee, I looked at that one too, you will make it awesome
Sep 23, 2018, 12:45 PM
Jetlegend?
Sep 23, 2018, 01:20 PM
Lee Liddle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Par_18
Quite the steal at that price. Looking forward to seeing how light you can build her. An oz or 2 here and there goes a long way in the end. Post some specs when you have a chance....airframe weight with and without the various components.
Will do. It's in very good shape except for cosmetics. All gear doors are intact and the bottom isn't even scratched. No sign of any impact damage at all.
Sep 23, 2018, 01:21 PM
Lee Liddle
Thanks Kyle, and Lynx yes JL
Sep 23, 2018, 02:28 PM
Good deal, a buddy of mine has one and to me it looks like a good plane for a EDF conversion.
Sep 23, 2018, 02:58 PM
Lee Liddle
The inside is HUGE. The fan will need to be back near the rear of the turbine hatch, but you could probably fit a 40ah 22s pack with lots of room all around lol.
Sep 23, 2018, 03:40 PM
world's slowest builder
Awesome Lee! That is a perfect plane for the ParMax fan!
Sep 23, 2018, 08:08 PM
Thread OP

More progress...

I did a little bit of work to clean up the area in front of the fan the best that I can but didnít see much of a gain in terms of thrust. For the moment, I only have the 6000mah batteries and thrust is peaking at 27.8lbs. I think the 8000ís will probably get me to 28lbs since theyíll be able to maintain a higher voltage at peak under load. That ought to be plenty for the time being.

Iím now working to get the electronics sorted out with all the servo wiring. The ESC install is also complete with a cooling fan attached that will be running off the receiver battery. When the fan is in operation, there will be plenty of flow through the from the front of jet, over the batteries, and through the ESC. I mostly just installed the fan to allow the ESC to cooling down after landing. the ESC will shut down if the thermal protection sensor is tripped.

The last thing I need to do is to make sure the gear is going to function peoperly. Iíve never owned a pneumatic gear system with built in brakes before so Iím trying to figure out how to get this sucker to work. I think Iíll need some sort of mix to get it to operate.
Sep 23, 2018, 08:33 PM
BFMA #13, aka Rogue 13
lee,
if i had had any idea that guy woulda come down that much off his asking...

good luck with it.
Sep 23, 2018, 08:52 PM
Lee Liddle
Well, I didn't ask him to. It was like I logged on just as he dropped the price. Just pure luck. So I posted, PM ed him and emailed him all immediately, and he responded in about an hour. Just luck.
Sep 23, 2018, 11:38 PM
BFMA #13, aka Rogue 13
i could use a dose of luck that good.

i expect to see this all repaired, painted, installed, and flying at BEST in a coupla weeks, dude.

get busy

mongo

Quick Reply