Oct 15, 2019, 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Par_18
What do you guys think of these? Well priced.

https://www.downandlocked.com/produc...3-gear-set-90/
JP hobbies has been pretty stable

135 for set of 3, 12 mm pin and a stable of struts and wheels that are available.

http://www.hobby-china.com/alloy-ele...ane-model.html
to remove ads between posts
Oct 19, 2019, 05:50 PM
BFMA #13, aka Rogue 13
Par,
check these out as well

http://www.hobby-china.com/alloy-ele...jet-plane.html

struts/wheels/brakes included.
Oct 19, 2019, 07:10 PM
Battery Puffer
I like that set Par showed with the nice steering linkage set up on the nose wheel. Good find.
Oct 20, 2019, 12:13 AM
Thread OP

New item....3D printed nacelle.

Now that my falcon 120 is flying again, I wanted to see if it’s looks could be improved with a simple, light weight, and aerodynamic nacelle. Below are some pictures of what I came up with and it looks pretty nice sitting at the back of the Falcon. This is of course intended primarily for open external mounting applications. Total weight of the nacelle is 90g. Cost to print was $160. When combined with the incoming carbon thrust tube, the total cost will be a round $225 for both items. I’ll be printing it all up tomorrow and installing it back on the Falcon for a test flight next week.
Oct 22, 2019, 09:33 AM
Thread OP
All painted and installed. Looks a lot better than before while serving a purpose allowing the fan to breathe efficiently.
Last edited by Par_18; Oct 22, 2019 at 09:43 AM.
Oct 27, 2019, 12:03 PM
Thread OP
Got to fly a little bit today and get a GPS speed on the sprint. According to my phone in no wind conditions, I managed 160mph out of a shallow dive. Not too bad for this draggy beast. I don’t know for sure but I think the turbine version does about the same. I’ll be ordering some 8000mah batteries for it next week which should get me to about 5mins of flight time.

Also put a couple flights on the Falcon but unfortunately no one else was there to make a video. I wish I could mount the fan lower Straighten the flow angle but do t have the time for that at the moment. Another project for the future.
Oct 27, 2019, 07:27 PM
Classic jets rule
With my Nacelle and C/F mounts the spinner was more centered with the nub of the rear fuse. Falcons do need 3* to 5* of angle on the fan. You want the efflux to go under the stab.
Oct 27, 2019, 07:54 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY
With my Nacelle and C/F mounts the spinner was more centered with the nub of the rear fuse. Falcons do need 3* to 5* of angle on the fan. You want the efflux to go under the stab.
I used to have a different fan mounted on this jet that sat lower but I never changed the mounts when I switched it to this one. I figured out a way to lower the whole fan with a minor mod. That should drop it about an inch and center it up with the nub without changing the mounts.
Oct 28, 2019, 03:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Par_18
Got to fly a little bit today and get a GPS speed on the sprint. According to my phone in no wind conditions, I managed 160mph out of a shallow dive. Not too bad for this draggy beast. I don’t know for sure but I think the turbine version does about the same. I’ll be ordering some 8000mah batteries for it next week which should get me to about 5mins of flight time.

Also put a couple flights on the Falcon but unfortunately no one else was there to make a video. I wish I could mount the fan lower Straighten the flow angle but do t have the time for that at the moment. Another project for the future.
What cell count version of the fan again?

tia
Oct 28, 2019, 09:35 AM
Thread OP
The sprint is 18s and the Falcon is 12s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771
What cell count version of the fan again?

tia
Oct 28, 2019, 02:59 PM
Par, there is a thing called the Byron Bullet for sale in the classifieds here. It may be of interest to you because of it's huge inlet area (125% FSA of DynaMax).
You could then make up inlet ducting for a closed intake duct necessary for high speed ops.
As you know, the use of cheater holes, battery packs directly in front of the fan face and the like will relegate you to sub-200 mph speeds.
Oct 28, 2019, 03:04 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanflyer
Par, there is a thing called the Byron Bullet for sale in the classifieds here. It may be of interest to you because of it's huge inlet area (125% FSA of DynaMax).
You could then make up inlet ducting for a closed intake duct necessary for high speed ops.
As you know, the use of cheater holes, battery packs directly in front of the fan face and the like will relegate you to sub-200 mph speeds.
Appreciate the word. I’ll take a look.
Oct 28, 2019, 04:52 PM
world's slowest builder
The Bullet might has a little more space inside than a Starfire 2, but they are a very similar sized plane. Certainly a great 12-14S bird...maybe 18s could be made to fit. Since you have to make wings, you could make slightly larger ones to handle the battery weight.
Oct 28, 2019, 04:53 PM
world's slowest builder
The Falcon looks great Par! I would not want to take one of those much over 160 with stock airframe parts...

I bet the vertical is awesome!
Last edited by Air-Jon; Oct 28, 2019 at 06:04 PM.
Oct 28, 2019, 05:41 PM
Classic jets rule
+plus one to what Air-Jon said ......the wings have open monocoat type coverings . and nylon bolts holding the booms on

Quick Reply