Anyone doing R/C Sailboats and FPV?? - RC Groups
Aug 06, 2017, 08:55 PM
Master of Disaster!
Discussion

Anyone doing R/C Sailboats and FPV??

Just curious if anyone besides myself have considered adding an FPV setup to your R/C Sailboat.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 06, 2017, 11:44 PM
It has been done! There is an EPIC video out there somewhere that is super relaxing, and set to an appropriate song about sailing too. It was posted up here maybe 6 months or so ago, but I can't find it now.
Aug 07, 2017, 02:37 AM
http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/new...Fairhaven-Lake
FPV taken at the event half way down the page. Monocular vision does not help judge distance to things like the bank. Good for looking at, of limited use for driving the boat, but thats just my opinion.
Aug 09, 2017, 10:50 AM

Video

I've considered it for this boat(below) and the new D2 but haven't gone any further yet. I designed an built a system for RC helicopters in 1985 and the one thing for sure is that the equipment is much less expensive now. I'm interested in finding any detailed info from people who have recently done sailboat systems...

Fire Arrow foiling trimaran:
Aug 09, 2017, 01:47 PM
Master of Disaster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLord
I've considered it for this boat(below) and the new D2 but haven't gone any further yet. I designed an built a system for RC helicopters in 1985 and the one thing for sure is that the equipment is much less expensive now. I'm interested in finding any detailed info from people who have recently done sailboat systems...

Fire Arrow foiling trimaran:
NICE BOAT!! With the availability of tiny low cost Cam/VTX/Antenna combos designed for the little mini quads it can't be to hard. A vendor sent me the one pictured in the following link for a review, I've ordered a 1 cell Lipo for it, now I just need to find some kind of water proof case to mount it in.
https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...roFPVcamTX.jpg
Aug 09, 2017, 06:52 PM
Here's a boat designed for FPV. I believe a more stable camera platform than racing boats.
RC Schooner "Irene" set up & sailing (4 min 44 sec)

And a building thread about IRENE
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...schooner-Irene
Aug 10, 2017, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetieinsf
...now I just need to find some kind of water proof case to mount it in.
https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...roFPVcamTX.jpg
Make it yourself! Encapsulating it in epoxy (obviously not the end of the sense) would likely do it.
Aug 10, 2017, 07:35 PM
Master of Disaster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggsDarkLighter
Make it yourself! Encapsulating it in epoxy (obviously not the end of the sense) would likely do it.
Actually I was just reading a post where I guy soaked it in CorrosionX and then covered it in liquid tape. Gonna give that a try!I got the thing for nothing so I have nothing to lose! Just waiting on a battery so I can get the frequency set and tested first.
Aug 16, 2017, 01:55 AM
Dang!....What else did I bring

Fpv. On a boat

A group of us that all fly together here in south orange county started sailing together at Mason park in Irvine. Since several of us also fly FPV, I brought up the question of putting one on our boats...so the idea is getting traction and will be anxious to see how this turns out for you?
Aug 16, 2017, 09:10 AM
Big Boats Rule!
oletimer, can you recommend some hardware that would allow the tablet type display mounted on the tx to display what the on-board camera is seeing? And do you record the video from your fpv flights? I have been interested in adding fpv to boats for some time, but I would also include a horizontal stabilizer and possibly a manual pan feature. I have several bigger boats to mount them on that would make great video platforms. Don't want to break the bank doing it, though.

Dave
Aug 16, 2017, 10:50 PM
Master of Disaster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by boater_dave
oletimer, can you recommend some hardware that would allow the tablet type display mounted on the tx to display what the on-board camera is seeing? And do you record the video from your fpv flights? I have been interested in adding fpv to boats for some time, but I would also include a horizontal stabilizer and possibly a manual pan feature. I have several bigger boats to mount them on that would make great video platforms. Don't want to break the bank doing it, though.

Dave
These days there are many inexpensive FPV camera/VTX/antenna combo units (primarily intended for the mini/micro quadcopters so popular) that operate on the 5.8 Ghz band. There are also many compatible and inexpensive small screen/receivers available that you could mount on your transmitter. To go with a "tablet type" system, that typically uses the same 2.6Ghz spectrum that modern RC transmitters use would be considerably more expensive. Regardless of which way you go the BIG issue, on a boat, is making it water proof so it doesn't let out the "Magic Smoke"!

A "pan" setup is easy enough to do (again water proofing, and weight, are the real challenges) only requiring a pan servo and an additional radio channel to control it.

For (horizontal) stabilization again there are numerous relatively inexpensive solutions (starting around $100 and designed for larger airplanes and quadcopters) in both in 2D and 3D versions. Again the primary issue is waterproofing with weight a secondary concern on small RC boats.

Just to give you an idea of what is possible I have a large FPV plane that has THREE cameras on board - one is a fixed low res flight cam, one is an HD recording cam mounted on a 3D stabilized gimbal under the nose, and the third is a low res cam mounted in a Pan and Tilt setup mounted on top of the nose - all three are switch selectable from my transmitter. The P&T cam is fully controllable from both sliders/pots on the transmitter AND from head tracking - just turn your head and it follows! The gimbal mounted HD cam is fully controllable in both pan and tilt from the transmitter.

If you are really interested in pursuing this I suggest finding a local "FPV guy" (one who BUILDS rather than BUYS) into large quads or FPV planes who can help with the tech details. Beyond that it's really about the Magic Smoke! You can find MANY FPV videos (including a few 360 degree scrollable videos) from my big planes on my YouBoob channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/sweetieinsf
Aug 16, 2017, 11:45 PM
Sailing by FPV (4 min 30 sec)

There are so many already waterproof options available too. 808 keychain cameras with waterproof case. Fake Go-Pros. Real Go-Pros.... The list goes on. Hans Berger uses a clear dome over top of his pan/tilt setup. Waterproofing camera not needed, waterproof boat instead lol.

It is hard to toss out specific recommendations. If your going to piece your setup together, you can go many many different ways about it. Some setups will record onboard. This is better for good video quality. Setups that recored on the goggles or screen side of it, will have much poorer video quality. Every setup will have some challenges to think through, especially pieced together systems.

As said above, the systems hooking up to a tablet will not only be expensive, but much more limiting. You can pick up an FPV type monitor on eBay for as little as $20-30 that will work with more normal 5.8ghz VTX systems.
Aug 17, 2017, 12:46 AM
Master of Disaster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggsDarkLighter
https://youtu.be/BXGe7cK4l7s

There are so many already waterproof options available too. 808 keychain cameras with waterproof case. Fake Go-Pros. Real Go-Pros.... The list goes on. Hans Berger uses a clear dome over top of his pan/tilt setup. Waterproofing camera not needed, waterproof boat instead lol.

It is hard to toss out specific recommendations. If your going to piece your setup together, you can go many many different ways about it. Some setups will record onboard. This is better for good video quality. Setups that recored on the goggles or screen side of it, will have much poorer video quality. Every setup will have some challenges to think through, especially pieced together systems.

As said above, the systems hooking up to a tablet will not only be expensive, but much more limiting. You can pick up an FPV type monitor on eBay for as little as $20-30 that will work with more normal 5.8ghz VTX systems.
REALLY NICE VIDEO!!! I started this thread in search of people who had done this in the hopes of finding advice and ideas rather than reinventing the wheel myself. It's clear from the video that you have not only done this but have done it WELL! Clearly there is roll stabilization going on, something I didn't consider practical for sail boats at this level!

Please DO share the details of your setup!!!
Aug 17, 2017, 10:01 AM
The wind is free, go sailing!
I've done a lot of on-board video on different boats using an 808 #16 keychain camera in a pill bottle.
In some videos I have mounted it on the end of the main boom.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...etUk_YE1RUsYMl

LL match race1 2Aug2015 (4 min 16 sec)

Bamm Regatta Race-2 16Aug2015 (3 min 22 sec)

Submarining starts at 3:45;
My Yellow Submarine (5 min 2 sec)

ComoLake_3Aug2014_CraneCam (3 min 40 sec)

To advance to FPV I bought a Runcam 2 last year, which uses WiFi to broadcast the video.
I have an older Google Nexus 7 which I was going to mount on my Transmitter to watch the video in real time (this camera also records to a micro Xd card).
I am going to hang the camera from a pivot point using this ball joint for self leveling the image.
....too many other projects on the go to work on this one
Last edited by Scratchy101; Aug 17, 2017 at 11:23 AM.
Aug 17, 2017, 11:11 AM
Big Boats Rule!
This is the direction that I wanted to go. In my opinion, roll stabilized is a must, even when only recording on board. Transmitting live video is even better, but I would rather it be in addition to me driving the boat line of sight. That's why I went down the path of a screen on the tx instead of goggles. Then recording the events for editing later to be published is the ultimate goal. Imagine an over the rail shot from one boat to another as they are going around a course.
I'll have to look into the full on goggles, with motion tracking, as it appears this may be the volume standard (read" lower price") for hardware these days.
Anyway, thanks for the leads so far. This new tech stuff is way cool.

Dave