improved cooling for Volantex 28 - RC Groups
Aug 06, 2017, 07:58 AM
Discussion

improved cooling for Volantex 28

This boat comes with "water-cooling" that is really just a joke.

The cooling consists of a bit of aluminium tubing about 4mm dia that has a flat side pressed against the motor can. The tubing leading to this bit is routed so it has a kink, and the outlet is a hole in the hull smaller than the od of the tubing; the outlet tube is squeezed through the hole on the hull - another constriction. I never saw water coming out - or even any in the outlet tube afterwards.

I cut a bit of copper sheet to fit the motor and soldered it to a bit of copper tube that was the same as the aluminium bit the boat came with. Motor has a connector, that's part of the rx/esc replacement being done)

The inlet tube is better routed under the servo instead of above it, where it gets pinched at the rear corner.

I made an outlet fitting with an id the same as the tubing and expoxied it throught the hull. If anyone copies this there is a trick to get the tubing to push over the inner end: pass something through the hole from the other end (I used a hex key) and have a short bit projecting inside. You use the projecting bit as a guide for the tubing, and you grab the tubing with a set of small pliers about 3mm away from that - and push.

The last pic shows why I think it will need better cooling. There's a little white bit of hdpe replacing the top part of the deck latch, and the fpv case is screwed onto that.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 06, 2017, 12:43 PM
Just Plane Nutts
That boat's cooling system is similar to that of the discontinued Steerix STX-9.

http://www.rcsoup.com/wp-content/upl...005-Large3.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1j54tfF7UL.jpg

I eventually applied some thermal transfer compound between the tube and the motor housing to help get the heat out. It's worked well so far.