Aug 05, 2017, 05:42 PM
Thrust Vectoring EDFs
Thread OP
Video

Tri-phan - thrust vectoring tri-copter by monophan

This is a prototype that I designed during long drives of a recent road trip. It’s a combination of tri-copter and MonoPhan thrust vectoring technology. The purpose is to come up with the most stable EDF powered camera platform. The unit always stays level while the thrust vectoring takes care of all directional input. No tilting at any time. I also wanted to reduce the lateral resistance therefore wind drag by keeping it level.

Never packed this much electronics, mechanics and cables in such a tight space before. 35mm EDFs powered by an amazing Genace hardcase lipo which also act as the landing gear. It took me a couple of days to tune it well enough to fly. The smaller the harder… I believe the flight time is over 5 minutes.

It has interesting flight characteristics Will work on fixing some of the lose parts to get it to some higher speeds and test the maneuverability... Ignore the date on the video. This was taken today. Thanks

TRI-PHAN - THRUST VECTORING TRI-COPTER BY MONOPHAN - AIR DRIFTER (2 min 41 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Aug 06, 2017, 01:18 AM
make a vtol!
Aug 06, 2017, 09:52 PM
Thrust Vectoring EDFs
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by chulian1819 View Post
make a vtol!
Yes, I am thinking about that!

Re-assembled the unit fixing some lose parts. Flies like a charm. Not suitable for high winds and it is tiny but still beats the wind pretty well as seen in the video.

The flight time is AMAZING for a tiny EDF contraption I calculated over 7 minutes theoretical flight time, which means I can easily get more than 6:30 minutes!

THRUST VECTORING TRICOPTER - TRIPHAN BY MONOPHAN 35MM EDF (5 min 11 sec)
Aug 12, 2017, 05:45 AM
My cat moderates better
Nice!
Maybe something like what I drew-up, in this post?

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=325
Nov 03, 2017, 01:14 PM
as usual you are very creative....bravo
Nov 11, 2017, 10:03 AM
You have done more with ducted fans than anyone though possible. I'm so impressed. keep up the great work. I sense a product for the market coming soon.
Nov 15, 2017, 07:41 PM
Thrust Vectoring EDFs
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by géry 46 View Post
as usual you are very creative....bravo
Thank you sir! I larger unit is on the way
Nov 15, 2017, 07:42 PM
Thrust Vectoring EDFs
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poporbit View Post
You have done more with ducted fans than anyone though possible. I'm so impressed. keep up the great work. I sense a product for the market coming soon.
Thank you sir! The new larger unit will have a feature that will be very interesting and even more unique Thank you for following the progress!
Nov 26, 2017, 11:02 PM
Thrust Vectoring EDFs
Thread OP
The maiden flight of the new 64mm TriPhan. It turned out to be a real beauty. Just wanted to hover a little bit and test the flight and the controls. Flies very well. Crash landed at the end of the flight due to hardware failure. I could swear it was ESC failure but then they didn’t even feel hot. When I got back I realized that the flight controller failed!!!

My first flight controller failure during a flight. Will replace and test again.

This unit is built to be a part of a larger project which I believe some will find very interesting. Hopefully I will make updates in the next couple of weeks.

#THRUSTVECTORING #TRIPHAN #64MM #MAIDEN - #MONOPHAN #MONOBOT #64MMEDF (2 min 27 sec)
Dec 02, 2017, 03:25 PM
Thrust Vectoring EDFs
Thread OP
I had a “no-drama” second flight. The new calculated flight time is around 6 minutes. I tested hover stability, some maneuvers and see how it handles, avoiding flying too high, keeping in mind the last flight’s failed FC. It looks pretty good but a little funky on the controls. I would want it a little more responsive when I am harder on the sticks. So I did a little bit more PID tuning.

Below is the 3rd flight after PID. Better handling after the PID tune. A little bit of breeze today, good for the test. Lots of people and kids around, so I cut it short. I little more tuning and I think I am ready for some higher speeds at the larger section of the park Some nice closeups where you can see the fans change angle to control the unit.

#THRUSTVECTORING #TRIPHAN #64MMEDF #MONOPHAN #MONOBOT (2 min 47 sec)
Dec 02, 2017, 09:04 PM
Thrust Vectoring EDFs
Thread OP
The last and a better flight with higher speeds. I reached the limit of the pitch stick once. Which means that I still have some more room to tilt the fans for higher speeds. I can keep on increasing the tilt angle and speed until I feel a significant altitude loss. I will probably go that route in the next couple of weeks and let you guys know.

#AIRDRIFTER #HIGHERSPEEDS #THRUSTVECTORING #TRIPHAN #MONOPHAN #MONOBOT #HURACAN (3 min 11 sec)
Dec 08, 2017, 03:46 PM
iBG
iBG
Wow! This is so awesome... just another proof of concept. EDF's are good for VTOL's!

How have you done that? Do you use Open Aero VTOL?

I really would love to come into contact with you for more information about your awesome project. I really got one close to yours, but I use 4 EDF's and Wings. Would be cool to chat

Greetings from Germany
- Robert
Dec 11, 2017, 04:07 PM
I Hate Orange Props
So, is the torque from edf's negligible? It looks awesome.
Dec 22, 2017, 03:23 AM
你是怎么做到的?你使用Open Aero VTOL吗
Dec 22, 2017, 06:42 PM
Very nice. You have done more with EDFs that I would have thought possible.

Quick Reply