Santa Barbara - Page 2 - RC Groups
Sep 12, 2017, 12:14 AM
If it floats....sail it!
I rescued SB #95 off of Craig's List from becoming a "boat shaped object" in some office, rehabbed it and just sold it to one of our new club members at my cost to make one more boat in the fleet.

According to Mark Baldacchino, the Class Secretary, this boat was sold by Don Prothero before Vortex Engineering took over the sales. It is really #95, not 195, 295, etc. being first registered in 1973 in West Virginia of all places. It migrated to Northern California in the 80's and I purchased it from the son of the last owner who had not sailed it in many years.

It probably had a skeg at one time, but that was removed and a larger rudder fitted , likely with one of the retrofit kits. It has a fixed keel, with an oval hole in the bottom of the hull and with no top to the keel so you can look right down at the buckshot/resin mix. (I glued a piece of clear plastic over it because I kept dropping screws down into the hole and stainless steel won't pick up with a magnet! )

The original cabin house had been removed so it now has a flush veneer deck. The radio board had been updated at least once before I got it and I removed the Probar bang-bang sail winch and put in a modern Robozone gearbox. It still should get a new rudder servo although the ancient Futaba still woks.

Remarkably, the Prothero sails are still in excellent shape and while not top of the line, they are still fine for a new club member for a year or so.

Keep an eye out for these old boats. With a little rehabilitation they can grow your fleet.

Steve
Last edited by FoamCrusher; Sep 12, 2017 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Typos
to remove ads between posts
Sep 12, 2017, 07:31 AM
Nice Find and awesome rehab.... Good to see a boat with that kind of history will still be sailed after it was originally made some 40 + years ago..
Sep 12, 2017, 09:03 AM
Probar was Don Prough and he made hardware and winches, I don't think he made sails. Tom Prothero designed boats and sold great sails. I believe they were sewn by his wife...
Sep 12, 2017, 09:31 AM
If it floats....sail it!
You are correct, Tom. My typo. I will correct that.
Sep 12, 2017, 02:50 PM
I'd be interested in the basis for reporting Don Prough as selling S/B's before Vortex "took over". Vortex pretty much worked with Tom Protheroe from day one, and certainly was the initial commercial source of the S/B.

Now it might be that Prough had an early individual boat to sell, but it would be valuable to figure out the actual chronology here so as to not perpetuate any potential errors in the retelling of the S/B story.
Sep 12, 2017, 03:23 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Rod:

The information I posted was from the Class Secretary in response to my question asking whether he had the registration history of the boat. The AMYA website also shows Vortex models beginning with hull 100. This is hull 95 so it may well be one Don sold individually, so "took over" is probably not technically correct.

I also have an old black and white photo of the boat taken when the photo format was very different from that used in later years. The boat is shown with a set of your sails (the main has the Carr stamp) that came with the boat when I bought it. The jib has two broad horizontal red stripes to go with the red numbers. I kept those sails as the fabric is yellowed and rust stained and would be good only for a display boat. Since they are in far worse shape than the Prothero sails, their condition with the photo would suggest they are probably original to the boat.

If you have additional information about the boat and its history, I am sure Mark and the new owner would be glad to have it. I can PM you the name of the first registered owner if you like.
Sep 12, 2017, 05:46 PM
Question for you Vortex owners. Looking for dimensions from the bow to..,
1 center of Jib rack/pivot
2 Jib sheet exit
3 mast
4 main sheet exit.

Thanks!
Sep 12, 2017, 11:01 PM
FoamCrusher
That hull has been floating around "for sale" for quite a while now--whenever i find S/B pics I have a file for the images
on my PC, and this hull was listed back in 2014.
Great save--we really need to keep ALL the S/Bs on the water !
Allan
S/B#1021
Sep 12, 2017, 11:31 PM
Sailing Junkie
Here are the dimensions off hull # 1021.....
jib pivot.......................11.75"
jib sheet exit............23"
mast.............................28"
main sheet exit......50.5"
this hull has been around our club since the 70s--had a Futaba drum, then a RMG drum, and now a ServoCity gear box. the current jib sheet exit was set up with the gear box( and double arm)-it was different place with the drums.
according to the "Blue Book" ( Rich Matt's "Building a S/B"-1978) he has these dimensions...
jib pivot...................12"
jib sheet exit........25"
mast.........................28"
he used to exit the main sheet behind the mast, and used a traveler aft for the main sheet.
On page 7 of the build manual it says contact this guy named "Carr" in Springfield,Va--he has S/B sails for $30.
have to check the batteries in my time machine, pay him a visit....lol
hope this helps
Allan
Sep 13, 2017, 03:59 AM
I've looked at the plans and the builds noted in the quarterly. I'm more interested in current thinking. All pretty dated as you mentioned. If they are about the same, I will start drilling but wanted to see if anyone had found that the boat balances better with the mast at 26" of something like that.
Sep 13, 2017, 12:45 PM
my mast step has 5 positions I can set the mast at,so I can be at 27.25/27.5/28./28.3/8s or 28.75.
anybody got their FALL issue of Model Yachting yet ? it's almost a month late now.....
Allan
edit--10 minutes after posting this, mailman showed up with magazine....EC-12 issue ! cool.
Last edited by thorsail; Sep 13, 2017 at 12:58 PM.
Sep 15, 2017, 10:56 AM

Santa Barbara

Santa Barbara update. after doting on the rig new sails and several other upgrades
I sailed her yesterday and even though I am more of a small boat skipper I was having
a blast sailing her around and torturing the present soling skippers.
still a few bugaboos to iron out but it is coming right along.
Mike

Sep 15, 2017, 11:37 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Mike:

You will love how the SB sails when you get it dialed in. They cruise along like a 50's Lincoln on the open road - smooth, stable and with gobs of momentum. About the only RC boat I have sailed that comes close to it is the more massive J Class sleds, although, I must admit I have not sailed a Wheeler.

A few SB's together on a starting line looks very dramatic. Because they are so stable in puffs, they love rail-to-rail racing and with only a few tuning adjustments the have a very broad wind range with their one rig.

Have fun.

Steve
Sep 17, 2017, 12:21 AM
We had seven boats sailing in SF today, even though that was reduced to six after something broke on Jason Spiller's boat. He fixed the problem and sailed later in the day. We had some good wind, but a few holes here and there. I put a new old rudder on 1604 and Jim Harold sure made that boat go fast. Jim Forbes and Dave Gormley both sailed well all day with lots of top three and four finishes. Unfortunately Rob Weaver and Eliot Aldrich seemed to have issues with the conditions and had trouble most of the day finishing uncharacteristically at the bottom of the fleet. Those two guys will bounce back and shake things up for the last race of the season in October. Ryan
Sep 17, 2017, 08:38 AM
I love the look of S/B #95, particularly that beautiful,clear, un-cluttered deck.
I'd be very grateful if someone could explain/show how to make those flush deck hatches.
Thanks in advance
Phil