Santa Barbara - RC Groups
Aug 05, 2017, 01:44 PM
Discussion

Santa Barbara

I have a Vortex ocean racer Santa Barbara in extremely good shape. I am looking to bring her up
to the current Gold Fleet standard, has a Servo City gearbox and a new suit of Sirus sails are on a
hook waiting to go on the rig. what other changes are needed?
Mike

to remove ads between posts
Aug 05, 2017, 10:25 PM
you might want to post this on the Santa-Barbara-One-Design
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ara-One-Design
John R.
Aug 06, 2017, 12:06 AM
Put in a backstay adjuster servo, one of the linear drive servos by actuonix would be perfect.
A jib twitcher is very helpful as well. The rig, a stiff CF mast section will take you far and help you hold more consistent sail shape. Ryan
Aug 06, 2017, 10:55 PM

thx for the information

Thanks for the information. I was thinking about using a 2 to one purchase
using a block and a linear actuator for the back stay and a jib trim servo. I never thought about
using a stiff carbon fiber mast. thanks again for the response.
Mike

Last edited by ktm500mx; Aug 07, 2017 at 09:05 AM.
Aug 07, 2017, 11:50 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Mike:

We are lucky to have the West Coast certified builder in our club - Dan and Bill Robinson of SB Yachts. Because of that we have had a huge resurgence in the SB class as they build new hulls. We had a SB only event (20 heats) this last Saturday and we had ten boats on the line. With the resurgence of the class has come the upgrade of existing hulls. There seems to be three levels of build in our club:

1. Winch and rudder only with analog servos. The most common winch is a ServoCity gearbox with an analog servo geared at 5:1, but a few are keeping their old Probar bang-bang set ups. No one is using the old Vortex target drone servo bang-bang. There are only a couple in our club that are this "bare bones".

2. Take the above and add a servo to tighten the backstay to dump mainsail pressure in gusts. Most of the boats in the club are using this level. I am about the only one using a stiff carbon mast - most are using the Ludwig aluminum masts.

3. Top level builds have digital winch and rudder servos that use the higher voltage Li-Po battery packs - again in the Servo City gear box, either with the 3.8:1 or 5:1 depending how fast you like to bring in the sails. The digital servos have way more "grunt" and are not necessary in Sacramento, but don't require heading up or reduced response in the afternoon hurricane when sailing in San Francisco during the summer.

Some at Level 3 add a jib tweaker. I think I am the only one who has added a second level of backstay that releases all of the backstay tension for going down wind. (This is from my dinghy racing experience where we had adjustable shroud levers that would do the same thing. ) I find it makes my boat just a bit faster than other boats on a dead downwind run. I have also added a full fuse block so all servos are protected. If a sheet jams those $$$$ digital servos go up in smoke unless protected...and don't get a finger between a winch line under load and anything hard or you will regret it!

Obviously, the more you have the more things there are to fail in a race and as the old auto racing adage says, "You cannot place unless you finish", so it is a trade off. Each of the levels adds more complexity and additional points of possible failure, but also adds increments of speed if properly used. At some point you also have to consider information overload as well.

Some of the Wheeler guys in the Bay Area in addition to ALL of the above have power vangs on both the main and jib. You have to be a fighter pilot to deal with all those controls.

Steve
Aug 07, 2017, 10:26 PM

thx for the information

thanks for the information. for right now I am just going to add the
backstay control and jib trim. I will take particular attention to the sheet line
system. I have several large Marblehead masts in stock but that can
be done later.
Mike

Aug 08, 2017, 02:04 PM
Midwest Model Yachting, LLC sells a nice SAILSetc 12.7mm Carbon Fiber Groovy mast that can be used for a Santa Barbara Rig.

http://www.midwestmodelyachting.com/...tc-_p_453.html
Aug 10, 2017, 12:53 AM
I use the exact rig sailfish mentions and to great success, it is plenty stiff. Only issue is having a sail maker build you a sail with slugs in it to fit the groove. Ryan
Aug 10, 2017, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rssailor
I use the exact rig sailfish mentions and to great success, it is plenty stiff. Only issue is having a sail maker build you a sail with slugs in it to fit the groove. Ryan
If using the SAILSetc mast then use the medium crimps being help on with pieces of deck patch material. This is the way Graham Bantock makes his sails for his groovy masts. Midwest Model Yachting stocks these crimps..

http://www.midwestmodelyachting.com/...ack_p_101.html