New canard build question - Page 2 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 07, 2017, 03:18 PM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
I had one similar to your design and it flew fine with no active canard. If you do decide to make them useful, I would then just use ailerons on the back....elevator up front AND rear would make for some interesting flights.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 07, 2017, 06:30 PM
I'll just leave mine adjustable I think. Trying to get them to work good as an elevator would result in frustration and continuous parts cleanup. Timbo383, do you have a picture of yours?
Aug 07, 2017, 07:51 PM
Don't know, I didn't start taking pics til later on when I really started to get into the builds. The pics and videos I do have are spread out between the computer, laptop and phone. But I'll look and see.
Aug 07, 2017, 08:09 PM
Here's a simple and ugly way of doing a usable canard....did I already mentioned ugly, oh, yes I did...a piece of arrow shaft thru the fuse with a one size smaller diameter one glued to the canards inserted inside it and plastic bushings to keep it from binding. And, of course the servo mounted outside for ease of the build. This is just a test plane, so the looks are not currently too important. If it flys good the new one will have a full fuse to hide the servo inside.
Last edited by Timbo383; Aug 07, 2017 at 09:27 PM.
Aug 07, 2017, 08:42 PM
Lol, I was brainstorming what the carbon rod will fit in nice. I remembered that I had a couple diabetic syringes. Was perfect length after I cut the tip and excess plastic.
Aug 07, 2017, 09:30 PM
Oops, forgot the picture. Put it in previous post.
Aug 08, 2017, 02:44 AM
48" wingspan not 46"
This is what I got done so far. Really just putting in servos and a glide test left.
Aug 08, 2017, 07:18 AM
Did you use the cg calculator? If you did, was it with the 46 or 48 inches there will be a slight difference in the cg. Pretty sure you know this , just wanted to remind you just in case.
Aug 08, 2017, 09:07 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
No verticals , or are you running split flaps ...
Aug 08, 2017, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
No verticals , or are you running split flaps ...
Yeah, without something for yaw stability, it will be a very short maiden flight...
Aug 08, 2017, 11:48 AM
There will be fins on all four wings for the vertical stab. Once the nose angle gets sorted out, I will probably tie it to a mild elevator while keeping elevons on main wings. I did the cg calculator and with motor mount and extra rear reinforcement, I was able to move battery forward a little which was needed for space.
Aug 08, 2017, 05:22 PM
gpw
gpw
The fixed canard angle should be between 3 and 5 degrees … Just sayin’ …
And i don’t think you want verticals on the canard , that’s too much vertical area in front of the CG , which will make it unstable ...
Aug 08, 2017, 10:07 PM
I decided to hook up the canards for slight elevator movement. Static is about 3° and moves a few degrees each way. This way I can trim during flight. I have it with full movement off the rudder channel and minor movement mixed in elevator. Sorry, my work spot is very messy as I do model cars and other projects on it.
Aug 09, 2017, 05:13 AM
gpw
gpw
NS, Great idea !!!
Aug 10, 2017, 09:02 PM
Ready to crash tomorrow wind permitting. The full canard is an elevator set initially at 3° and ailerons on the main wings.