New canard build question - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 05, 2017, 12:08 PM
Discussion

New canard build question

The canards will be adjustable but not controlled. These are meant for stability, not for airflow over main wing. I know there are plenty of threads on these but important links are gone. Question: Better canards closer or further from main wing? I was thinking of mid fuselage mount. Also the nose. I say way too long. What do you think?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 05, 2017, 12:14 PM
Closer
Aug 05, 2017, 01:16 PM
Oh yeah, to be more clear, wing span is 46", 1000kv 150amp or 1300kv 210 amp, 2200 3s lilo. Not intended for extreme maneuvers, just putting along and odd loops and rolls.
Aug 05, 2017, 03:03 PM
For stability, more distance between them is better.
Naturally, the required CG will depend on where you decide to place the canard.
Aug 05, 2017, 07:30 PM
Thanks nuteman! Does mounting position (higher or lower on fuselage) affect much? These are some figures.
Aug 06, 2017, 02:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjasword71
Thanks nuteman! Does mounting position (higher or lower on fuselage) affect much? These are some figures.
No matter which vertical position you choose, there will be parts of the flight envelope that will suffer, unless you have full-flying canard controlled by a flight controller. The wake of the canard will interfere with the rear wing in a disadvantageous fashion at various AOA. There's a LOT more to say on this topic, so you can read up if you're really curious.
The fuselage on your plane doesn't look very tall (so vertical position of the canard is pretty limited anyway), so I'd just mount it in the place where it mounts easiest/strongest/best with the least weight addition.
Aug 06, 2017, 06:55 AM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
There is an online cg calculator for canard planes to help you find your cg. I'll try to post a link when I locate it.
Aug 06, 2017, 07:05 AM
Found it
Aug 06, 2017, 07:25 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
N-71, Since you’re using a fixed canard , it might be easiest to make a smaller chuck glider version of your plane out of scraps , and toss it around the yard , adding noseweight ( cheap modeling clay ) till it glides like you want . Simple . No math , and it Always works !

Or we sometimes just take the model airframe ,sans all gear, and toss it around … That works too
Last edited by gpw; Aug 06, 2017 at 07:31 AM.
Aug 06, 2017, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjasword71
Found it
That's the one I've used before and it is pretty accurate. But like GPW says, a chuck glider will verify it and it keeps you from damaging your plane.
Aug 06, 2017, 02:02 PM
It will be a challenge making a mini version long nose strong enough but I have done it with others I built. I found out that you don't need height to toss at first. A low sweep works too. Less possible damage.
Aug 06, 2017, 03:55 PM
Different animal for sure. Battery up on main wing for balance. I was thinking far up the nose. Guess I was thinking of a regular plane. Does that sound right? Minus a couple servos and other minor weight, it's balanced right on cog
Aug 06, 2017, 04:06 PM
Sounds right, I just put together a canard plane that I was positive it would be tail heavy but instead just the opposite. Did the mini chuck glider test and was suprised how wrong I was, I ended doing the unspeakable and adding tail weight. It's just something about the canard that causes this.
Aug 07, 2017, 06:40 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
We saw a film of Burt Rutan throwing a chuck glider off a tower , and thought , “OK, we’ll do that !!!”
Canards are Fun , but can be tricksy , especially when it comes to calculations … If you change the area of the canard , it affects the CG … chuck Glider testing is easy and Fun …and can make planes that can do this …
GPW's Foam-EZ Canard (0 min 22 sec)

dead duck (0 min 21 sec)
Aug 07, 2017, 01:57 PM
Crazy video. My first delta had the battery forward of the wing for cog. Saw the huge thread regarding active canards. Everyone disagreed with what works because of totally different configurations and intended uses. I'm hoping for a gentle flyer with no crazy canard control configuration. It appeared that a static canard at the proper incidence would work good enough. I would however make the canards an elevator only if it would make control easier. Given that, ailerons or evelons for main wing? Too many unanswered questions, just arguments.