Horizon Hobby EU (UK) pricing and service thread. - Page 11 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 10, 2017, 07:55 AM
Nah you're ok, compare on your own.

And they are not premium priced. Remember, it wasn't all that long ago that you would not have touched Chinese radio gear as cheap with a Barge pole. I remember it being JR, Futaba as the main choices here in the UK when i was in the heli scene a few years back and you paid their prices. It's only cause perception has changed that you now think a Chinese 15-20 rx is the norm and totally fine to put in your model.

But then you only know what you read online since your hobby is internet trolling rather than model flying. You should go outside, go fly, use some gear and make your own opinions rather than 2nd hand using others. If you use it correctly then hell, you might even find the stuff you bash actually works and works well.
Last edited by i_am_mark_evans; Nov 10, 2017 at 08:11 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2017, 08:08 AM
▀ ▄ ▀ ▄ ▀ ▄ ▀
I have always said that MPX owns the most reliable RF link. unfortunately besides UK and Germany there apparently is no real customer support.
Nov 10, 2017, 08:12 AM
Really? i'm sure if you search the internet you'll find someone with a crash plane on them, just like all the other brands, so not that reliable then?
Nov 10, 2017, 08:18 AM
▀ ▄ ▀ ▄ ▀ ▄ ▀
the rate of crashes of the brand you own is far above all other brands together. it's a fact
Nov 10, 2017, 08:47 AM
Bank & Yanker!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse
the rate of crashes of the brand you own is far above all other brands together. it's a fact
What a load of drivel!
Over 90% of our club fly Spektrum with very very few issues.
If it's a fact, then show us the statistics or some real data reference.
The vast majority of all crashes are due to pilot error.

Better still, just go somewhere else with your nonsense please.
Nov 10, 2017, 08:52 AM
▀ ▄ ▀ ▄ ▀ ▄ ▀
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_mark_evans
You should go outside, go fly, use some gear and make your own opinions rather than 2nd hand using others.
If you use it correctly then hell, you might even find the stuff you bash actually works and works well.
so you assume that thousands of crashed models with wrecktrum gear is due to pilot error itself because they are inexpert UNLIKE you..

next time a newbie comes to here asking ''what brand do I have to buy'' then I will tell him, buy ALL BRANDS and don't trust anyone's opinion, they are all wrong but i_am_mark_evans
Nov 10, 2017, 09:38 AM
I didn't assume anything. You do know it's called Spektrum though? We're all adults here, that I do assume, so can we please use proper terms.

I do assume a lot of people miss use the term 'Brownout' incorrectly also. So crashed planes from dumb thumbs rather than radio error is high in my books.

I've been called a lot of thing's before but inexpert is probably the most accurate of the lot, thank you Sir.
Nov 10, 2017, 09:40 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
So is the ownership. Spektrum is more than 50% of the market, and much higher in the beginner and sport/park flier sections so of course more than 50% of all crashes are with Spektrum gear. That says nothing about the quality of Spektrum gear, only the quality of the math used to evaluate.
Nov 10, 2017, 09:40 AM
Also if a new guys comes here then you should correct him and say Mark Evans told you to buy the brand you feel most comfortable with, the one you can get the most help with and preferably the person or persons you are flying with all use (again for the help if/when they need it).

Tell him not to buy all brands, that could be pretty expensive on the poor lad.
Nov 10, 2017, 10:33 AM
▀ ▄ ▀ ▄ ▀ ▄ ▀
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
Spektrum is more than 50% of the market, and much higher in the beginner and sport/park flier sections so of course more than 50% of all crashes are with Spektrum gear.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=257
Nov 10, 2017, 10:50 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
lol, unsupported assertions are hilarious.

I guarantee you HH doesn't have a 50% return rate on anything. And Hobbico certainly doesn't have a 10% return rate on radios. You don't stay in business with those numbers (and HH, unlike Hobbico, is in good financial shape). Return rates are at the highest in the sub-5% range and more likely around 0.5-1% for high-volume product like Spektrum or Futaba radios. LHS's wouldn't stock any big ticket item that gets 5% returns for failures because that's already a money-loser for them, from shipping & handling costs alone, unless the margin is so high that they can afford to trash returns, which is only true for some of the cheap chinese electronics like Lipo balance checkers.
Nov 10, 2017, 11:19 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
premium price receivers with RF issues and Tx hardware defects since day 1. Chevrolet vs Mercedes let's compare ?
At our popular (150 plus flyers fly there, obviously not all on the same day, but it gives a wide sample of what radios people use) I have never known anyone have a problem with the very popular Spektrum radios, either the old DSM or the newer DSM2. I don't use Spektrum myself so I have no 'bias'. either for or against it.

However, I do see many online reports of problems, particularly here. And frequent praise of the 'good service', which indicates to me that those 'praising' users had a problem, or thought they did. We haven't. Also Spektrum is a very popular radio with many users and people like to publicise their whinges, valid or not. Satisfied people usually don't say anything unless directly asked, face to face or as an online question..

Price doesn't come into it. Unlike most stuff we buy, a radio failure is usually catastrophic. Being 'low cost' is therefore no excuse for failure. The failed radio would still cost you money due to the crash even if it was free.

And your car comparison is invalid. Mercedes are no more reliable than Chevys (sources - J D Powers, which is highly respected worldwide, and various 'consumer' magazines). And in any case, car crashes due to mechanical/electronic failure are extremely rare compared to crashes from other causes. Mostly they just stop, a plane can't do that. And regarding the much publicised (in the USA) GM design faults, Mercedes have design faults too.
Nov 10, 2017, 11:29 AM
▀ ▄ ▀ ▄ ▀ ▄ ▀
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
I guarantee you HH doesn't have a 50% return rate on anything. And Hobbico certainly doesn't have a 10% return rate on radios.
replace ''return rate'' for ''crash rate'' if you feel more comfortable
it's the only brand whose customers have to send their Tx multiple times back for repair...
I would close my mouth if the rate ever was 1:1 but it's not the case. sorry man
Nov 10, 2017, 11:41 AM
Damn that dog can fly.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian435
........rare compared to crashes from other causes. Mostly they just stop, a plane can't do that.......
I've seen many a plane just stop. Usually the split second before they come crashing down to earth.
Nov 10, 2017, 12:13 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
replace ''return rate'' for ''crash rate'' if you feel more comfortable
it's the only brand whose customers have to send their Tx multiple times back for repair...
I would close my mouth if the rate ever was 1:1 but it's not the case. sorry man
Every major brand has customers who need to send the unit back multiple times. It happens to every brand, small or large (well, it doesn't happen to some of the really cheap chinese stuff, but only because there's nowhere to send it back in the first place). It's pretty much inherent to technology products (and usually happens when the issue isn't with the device being sent back, although it's occasionally a miss at the repair depot).

If you think 50% of Spektrum radios are causing crashes (which is what you are claiming if you replace "return rate" in your linked post with "crash rate"), you're flat out delusional. Not even the crappiest of cheap chinese stuff fails at anything resembling that rate. Hell, the cheapest of the cheap stuff is going to have failure rates in the 5-10% range at worst (otherwise it's simply not worth stocking).

Spektrum produces units is massive numbers, in quantities around the range of 100,000+ units a year globally. If they had anything approaching 10% of the failure rate you suggest, the used market would be drowning in dead Spektrum radios. It's not. Heck, you can only point to a handful of incidents that are recorded online.