Aug 05, 2017, 01:33 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Thread OP
Build Log

Sea Vampire ... Sea Plane or Slide off Grass

What I was aiming for was something that would SOG (slide off grass) and hopefully fly from water .. had to be very stable at low speed, needed to be quick and easy to build, and also look reasonably good ...

I liked the way my Vampire flies (https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ge4&perpage=30) so I decided to use this as a base to work from .. I made the wing a bit bigger ... the fuselage square and easier to make ... booms are laminated and easier to make ... I also wanted it to be fairly quiet so a slower motor was needed .. I was worried the the high motor / prop would cause problems but with some upthrust on the motor and some positive incidence on horizontal stab it seems to have done the trick

For the initial run .. I used the Turnigy D2826-10 1400kv brushless motor with a 7 x 4.5 prop, 30 A Plush ESC, 2200 / 3s battery and vector rudder to make it easy to steer on grass or water .. it will probably need some wing floats to keep her from tipping on water

All up weight with 2200 / 3s battery is a tad under 700 grams .... I used 1 sheet of 6mm Depron for the fuselage and other parts and 1 sheet of HK 5mm foam sheet for the wings and cockpit .. I did make the ailerons from 6mm Depron as the HK is a bit on the floppy side on its own

This one really is a very quick and easy build .. I will be adding some wing floats and covering the elevator servo and waiting for a calm day to give her a try from water

Lockey

Sea Vampire Maiden (6 min 30 sec)

A little better quality video
Sea Vampire Maiden HD (6 min 30 sec)
Last edited by Lockey; Aug 05, 2017 at 06:05 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 05, 2017, 03:56 AM
So that's what you've been up to!

That is seriously nifty. I love the vectored rudder
Aug 05, 2017, 06:33 AM
When cows fly!
Very nice!
Aug 05, 2017, 07:10 AM
vectored rudder? explain.
david
Aug 05, 2017, 07:45 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomer View Post
vectored rudder? explain.
david
It would be very difficult for a std rudder to work well, if at all .. especially on a sea plane without the rudder being in the water so I decided to try vector thrust for the rudder .. the motor is attached to a swivel plate and so the air from the prop changes the direction of the thrust

Lockey
Aug 05, 2017, 09:01 AM
Retired CAD guy
Tony, Very nice innovation !
Good to knkow you're still doing terrific work ;>}

No doubt you've noticed how effective vectored thrust can be.

Plus it eliminates the troubles with a water rudder, big time !

With my recent EDF conversion on the Judi Sea Jet I just put my rudder in the exhaust path and it was WAAY effective. So much so, I had to dial down my rudder a bunch. AND
trim it for exact center too.

On a side note :
Did you get my most recent e-mail ?
Or have you possibly changed your e-mail address ?
I know a guy in Sydney who needs some "local AU, OZ " assistance

Best

BOB
Aug 05, 2017, 09:21 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay View Post
Tony, Very nice innovation !
Good to knkow you're still doing terrific work ;>}

No doubt you've noticed how effective vectored thrust can be.

Plus it eliminates the troubles with a water rudder, big time !

With my recent EDF conversion on the Judi Sea Jet I just put my rudder in the exhaust path and it was WAAY effective. So much so, I had to dial down my rudder a bunch. AND
trim it for exact center too.

On a side note :
Did you get my most recent e-mail ?
Or have you possibly changed your e-mail address ?
I know a guy in Sydney who needs some "local AU, OZ " assistance

Best

BOB
Got your email Bob, I'm not ready to do any jobs yet mate (not sure I really want to) but am still trying to get things working good .. I might do some of my own for mates .. wink wink .. eh Duke

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Aug 05, 2017 at 10:20 AM.
Aug 05, 2017, 10:08 AM
Careful,.. confident,.. CRASH!
Well done Lockey! Thats awesome mate. Did you use the rudder in flight or just on the ground??
Aug 05, 2017, 10:17 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukejet View Post
Well done Lockey! Thats awesome mate. Did you use the rudder in flight or just on the ground??
Thanks Duke .. yes mate maybe you can just hear me at the beginning of the flight saying I was using the rudder to turn (about 1 minute to 1 minute 30 .. it wasn't as responsive as I thought it would have been but did turn it, did a good job on the ground though

Lockey
Aug 05, 2017, 03:56 PM
Retired CAD guy
Understood.
I hear that intra OZ shipping is miserable too.

Oh well ... ;>}

Hang in there mate

Bob
Aug 05, 2017, 04:09 PM
Lockey, thanks for the explanation. haven't run across that one before. nice innovation.
david
Aug 06, 2017, 01:54 AM
Looks great can't wait to see how it goes off water.
Sep 11, 2017, 12:58 AM
Thread OP
Flew her again yesterday ..

Been testing a new FREE video editing software .. run both the videos below together and you will see the difference .. the bottom one I used the zoom feature and I think its much better .. what do you think ? .. software is HitFilm Express

Lockey

SeaVampire2 (10 min 30 sec)

Sea Vampire again (10 min 27 sec)
Last edited by Lockey; Sep 11, 2017 at 08:46 PM.

Quick Reply