Aug 29, 2017, 01:58 PM
killickb
Do they suggest glassing the retract structure or did you think it needed it ?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 29, 2017, 03:16 PM
The RC Geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY
there a great sky ray book has som cool stories ...the first flight was a doosie
Mark Frankel's "Killer Rays" book is a good one if you've not seen it. http://amzn.to/2wQ0iCF

Chris
http://thercgeek.com
Aug 29, 2017, 08:04 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by killickb
Do they suggest glassing the retract structure or did you think it needed it ?
I fly off a grass field. Its all Bermuda grass with the exception of some stubborn crab grass patches that can be a little bumpy. The instructions do suggest glassing if you fly off of a rough surface.
Aug 29, 2017, 08:08 PM
Thread OP
Chris, I have heard of the frankel book killer rays. been thinking of getting a copy. Is yours back on the bench yet ? BTW, mission accomplished with the glass work today !
Aug 29, 2017, 10:43 PM
Classic jets rule
nice work ! looks clean
Aug 30, 2017, 10:49 AM
Pro Hoarder
Agreed!
Latest blog entry: In flight
Aug 30, 2017, 12:13 PM
The RC Geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootergenie
Chris, I have heard of the frankel book killer rays. been thinking of getting a copy. Is yours back on the bench yet ? BTW, mission accomplished with the glass work today !
Your skyray is looking good! This likes like a really fun build I have to say. Mine is not back on the bench yet, but it should be soon. I've been trying to catch up on some other projects before diving back in on the big Ray.

The Frankel book is a good one, the Ginter book is a good one too.

Chris
http://thercgeek.com
Aug 30, 2017, 03:35 PM
Thread OP
Thanks folks, the compliments are greatly appreciated ! Started on the vertical stab today. I looked at the Frankel skyray a few years ago, and remember seeing a video from Chris about speed brakes and was impressed at the level of detail he put into those things. I need to figure out a way to add them to this build. It would be better to do them now, before I sheet the bottom.
Aug 30, 2017, 04:15 PM
Thread OP
this is the link to the landing gear I will be using.http://downandlocked,com
Aug 30, 2017, 04:25 PM
Thread OP
Here are a couple of pics to give you an idea of the livery I'll be doing, VF 23, from the USS Hancock CV 19 in the Late 50's
Aug 30, 2017, 07:11 PM

Build and size

Looks like a great kit, like the size and the construction method balsa! Thanks for sharing might have to order one of these to have the next size up and motivate me to finish off my scratch plans project.
Latest blog entry: Me262
Aug 31, 2017, 11:26 AM
killickb
Received my kit yesterday so will be a few steps behind you scooter (maybe a few weeks too!) --- do appreciate you being the leader, so to speak.

So far your build looks good and any snags must have been minor. I fly 99% off of tarmac but think I will still glass the retract box as you have done.

You glassing the complete model or going with "plastic"? My Effinger version was sheeted and covered with silkspan/dope/paint, looks like this one could use same.
Aug 31, 2017, 04:00 PM
Thread OP
Yes, The snags are minor. Nothing out of the ordinary...being a new kit, they missed a couple of slots in the formers, and DO NOT FOLLOW THE SEQUENCE IN THE INSTRUCTIONS ! They were written with the prototype. Also the pictures are of the prototype, and they have since changed things that are not reflected in the written text, or pics. Just dry fit entire assemblies before you glue anything, and you'll be fine.
Aug 31, 2017, 04:03 PM
Thread OP
Also , if you get stuck, or don't understand how something goes together, just ask me...since my learning curve is over, so you wont repeat my mistakes.
Aug 31, 2017, 04:39 PM
Classic jets rule
great news there is another kit .....the scooter is the A-4 , the F-4D was called the "FORD" or bat out-a-hell
Last edited by AIR SALLY; Aug 31, 2017 at 08:25 PM.

Quick Reply