I'm back! - Page 2 - RC Groups
Aug 07, 2017, 11:00 AM
With the original SE dimensions, is that for a 7" or 8" prop?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 07, 2017, 12:40 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyW
With the original SE dimensions, is that for a 7" or 8" prop?
A prop needs to be a proper match to the motor/voltage ........ too much prop will overload the motor and burn it up .
For the AX 2308N 1100kv brushless Micro Motor , the recommended prop is 8x4 with a 3S battery ........ but you can safely use a 7x4 prop if you want to cut a smaller prop slot . A 7x4 prop will likely have less thrust than an 8x4 prop .
Aug 07, 2017, 06:12 PM
treefinder
Quote:
Ohhh yes I remember all this now! That makes complete sense. Thanks for the input (haha lol rcgroups>work )

Turns out I actually bought a small voltage checker ages ago! One 3S lipo is 4.13, 4.12, 4.12 and the other is 4.06, 4.06, 4.08. I think I'll continue to use them, checking that the cells are all balanced each time, despite my charger working up- I think my charger is charging all the cells properly, but just not displaying it. I hope.
Yup, if you are within a few hundredths, your lipos are good and balanced. I pretty much do the same thing (check packs with a voltage checker after charging) as I don't have a fancy charger, just the ones with LEDs. Once you get flying, they will tell you if they need retiring or not! I have a couple of 1300mah 3s packs that frequently give me only about 2 minutes flight time. but I still suffer with them as they will go 5 minutes about every other charge.
Aug 07, 2017, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
I have a couple of 1300mah 3s packs that frequently give me only about 2 minutes flight time. but I still suffer with them as they will go 5 minutes about every other charge.
When my smaller 3S batteries are ready to retire from operating motors/BEC's , they can still work well for powering LED lights on night flyers .
Aug 07, 2017, 09:40 PM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Just as a reminder, kinda keep an eye on those batteries while they are charging. Old or damaged lipos can puff up and blow out flame when charged. Don't mean to scare you,and since you had no problems they should be ok, just want you to be cautious. I had a damaged one that I did not know til I heard this strange sound while it was charging. It puffed up to almost twice it's size, breaking the seal around it and. If I did not catch it in time it could have been a flaming mess.
Aug 09, 2017, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the help! I'll definitely keep an eye on the lipos.

I understand that the letters of the prop always face the front, even in a pusher set up. But what way should the motor be spinning again, looking from behind the plane to the front?
Aug 09, 2017, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Thanks for the help! I'll definitely keep an eye on the lipos.

I understand that the letters of the prop always face the front, even in a pusher set up. But what way should the motor be spinning again, looking from behind the plane to the front?
With the prop on correctly , the motor should spin in the direction that blows air ( thrust ) to the rear .
Aug 09, 2017, 07:21 PM
treefinder
BoC has it right! Doesn't make much difference which way i set it up, the first time i power it up it's pushing air the wrong way! How can i always be wrong on a 50/50 deal? Must be a corollary to murphy's law!

No biggy in any case just switch any two wires.
Aug 09, 2017, 10:28 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
Using a standard rotation prop, viewed from the tail end of the plane, the motor should rotate clockwise.
Aug 10, 2017, 10:25 AM
Thanks! How much throw on control surfaces is best for this plane?
Aug 10, 2017, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Thanks! How much throw on control surfaces is best for this plane?
Since the rudder is very sensitive .... if your radio has dual rates , set up low rates for the rudder about 10mm of travel in each direction ..... high rates about 18mm .

Elevator is not so sensitive , about 12mm to 20mm .
Aug 11, 2017, 02:01 PM
Right so I'm all done building now

I forgot about the reflex on the elevators, so had to program that in- I used sub-trim, how is that different from the normal trim?

I got the CoG by adding some coins up front, I hope the planes's not going to be unnecessarily heavy. Should be able to fly in a couple days
Aug 11, 2017, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Right so I'm all done building now

I forgot about the reflex on the elevators, so had to program that in- I used sub-trim, how is that different from the normal trim?

I got the CoG by adding some coins up front, I hope the planes's not going to be unnecessarily heavy. Should be able to fly in a couple days
The SE is pretty tolerant ( still stable ) of slightly tail heavy . When you go to fly it , take the coins away from the nose ( one at a time ) until it starts to porpoise . For slow , nose-up flight ..... adjust the CG "just shy" of porpoising .

You can add permanent reflex ( so you'll have full elevator travel both up and down ) , like I did on this SE ↓ :
Aug 12, 2017, 05:10 PM
I've added in some permanent reflex- because of this, when I apply full down elevator, it doesn't go very far past neutral- do you think that'll be an issue?

I've left out reinforcing rods as my previous SEs have been fine without them. The fuse join to the wings is not great (my gluing skills are very rusty) so there's a bit of flex there, but I'm gonna see if it flies okay anyway
Aug 13, 2017, 02:02 AM
Quote:
I've added in some permanent reflex- because of this, when I apply full down elevator, it doesn't go very far past neutral- do you think that'll be an issue?

I've left out reinforcing rods as my previous SEs have been fine without them. The fuse join to the wings is not great (my gluing skills are very rusty) so there's a bit of flex there, but I'm gonna see if it flies okay anyway
If you take a close look at the photo in post #28 , the SE has a foam board strip glued to the trailing edge of each wing at a slightly upward angle . This gives it permanent reflex .... separate of the servo operated elevators , so the elevators can stay centered with full travel up and down .
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Aug 13, 2017 at 11:04 AM.