I'm back! - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 04, 2017, 05:17 PM
Discussion

I'm back!

Hello everyone

Wow I think it's been 3 years since I last posted here! GCSEs and A levels pretty much dominated my life, but now school's over and I can return to foam for this summer

I've managed to clean out the battery corrosion from my DX6i (which apparently they've discontinued now ), and it seems to be working fine, although the throttle was playing up earlier. I think/hope it's sorted now.

Reading through my old threads has made me realise that I have forgotten A LOT in terms of how to build and fly. So essentially, it's back to basics, and to me that means building balsa or carbon's SE again!

I plan on reusing some electronics- lipos, my rx and tx, the servos perhaps and also the ESC (these electronics are 3+ years old though, and mainly unused since- please do let me know if this will be a major problem). I need a new motor though. The SE is the first plane that came to mind when thinking of something to build, however I'm open to other suggestions too! I had the F-22 in mind (I like pushers, I go through fewer propellers and motors with them xD). Is there perhaps another plane that's as easy to build, durable and fun to fly? Let me know!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 04, 2017, 06:47 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
Welcome back AmyW !

My favorite 3 channel plane lately is the EzFly , my favorite 4 channel plane is LeadFeather's Yak 55 ...... both have extensive threads here on RCG .
Aug 04, 2017, 06:56 PM
treefinder
Hey welcome back! School's all done, eh? Congrats in order! I would guess that of all your stuff only the lipos may be "too old", 3 yrs without cycling may have done them in. But I would try charging them anyway.
Last edited by springer; Aug 04, 2017 at 08:24 PM.
Aug 04, 2017, 07:14 PM
Welcome home, you Son of a Gun!
Aug 06, 2017, 05:05 AM
Thank you guys

I'm gonna build the SE again, it's irresistibly simple to build and fly. The motor recommendation given to me last time was https://hobbyking.com/en_us/ax-2308n...___store=en_us

Is this still a good motor to go for? I need to get up to speed again with comparing specs on electronics like these
Aug 06, 2017, 06:47 AM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyW
Thank you guys
I need to get up to speed again with comparing specs on electronics like these
You're back in the right place, all of these guys here will get you back up to speed on everything you need to remember. I have had so much help over the last 3 years that I've been here and if it wasn't for them I would have given up on flying a long time ago.
Aug 06, 2017, 07:23 AM
Hot glue held together by foam
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyW
Thank you guys

I'm gonna build the SE again, it's irresistibly simple to build and fly. The motor recommendation given to me last time was https://hobbyking.com/en_us/ax-2308n...___store=en_us

Is this still a good motor to go for? I need to get up to speed again with comparing specs on electronics like these
That motor will work for easy cruising around .
Aug 06, 2017, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo383
You're back in the right place, all of these guys here will get you back up to speed on everything you need to remember. I have had so much help over the last 3 years that I've been here and if it wasn't for them I would have given up on flying a long time ago.
I completely agree, the people on here were my biggest help in getting into this hobby.

So I've tried charging my old lipos, and they seem to be charging okay, except from the fact that my Imax B6 charger is only detecting 2 out of the 3 cells in all of my 3 cell lipos (both cells are detected in my 2 cell lipos though). This might have been an issue 3 years ago too, I can't quite remember. Is there something wrong with the charger or the lipos? Any fix to this? The charger also says that the lipos are fully charged at around 4.14V per cell- are these lipos too old?

3S lipos are advertised as 11.1V, but then why are they charged to 4.2V per cell, making 12.6V? Never understood this
Aug 06, 2017, 04:01 PM
treefinder
As lipos age, their ability to move electrons back and forth is reduced, internal resistance grows and 4.14 V per cell may be as much as the charger can push in. Once you cycle them (hopefully through a plane in flight!) They may get better, but don't count on it. The most obvious affect will be shorter flights, but they can still work. More important is the Three cells only showing two cells. That isn't good. And you need to find out why. I would google the problem to see if it is known issue with your charger. Also use a different voltage checker to assure all cells are charging. Don't want them unbalanced!
Aug 06, 2017, 04:04 PM
treefinder
The 12.4 vs 11.1 is just nominal/discharged versus fully charged. Even AA 1.5 volt alkalines show 1.67v or so when new.
Aug 06, 2017, 05:43 PM
Retired CAD guy
Kinda like 12v CAR batterys and showing something around 13+V
Aug 07, 2017, 05:29 AM
Ahh I see, I may invest in a voltage checker then as I don't own a separate one. Any recommendations for a good cheap one off HK? Also what does the 20C, 25C, 30C etc mean on lipos again?

And also in 3S1P, what does the 1P mean?
Aug 07, 2017, 06:25 AM
I only know a little bit, but until one of these guys get online here's what I can tell you.
C rating is the consent discharge of the battery, the higher the better. But unless you plan to fly 3d or use an edf motor 30 C is all you might need.
The P just means parallel. Not really important. The S is series, a little more important. The batteries are connected in series means more volts which equals more power to the motor.
There is a sticky in the motor and battery section of this forum that will explain it better.
Aug 07, 2017, 07:02 AM
Another way to for me to explain on the batteries is say for example you have 2 2s1p 1000 mlh batteries. If you connect both together in series you will have 4s 1000 power(4s = more power to the more, it will turn faster...and probably burn it up if you don't use a watt meter), in parallel you have 2s 2000 (2000= more flight time) power....basic explanation, but it's the best I can do right now...
I'm at work and I'm supposed to be working.
Aug 07, 2017, 10:23 AM
Ohhh yes I remember all this now! That makes complete sense. Thanks for the input (haha lol rcgroups>work )

Turns out I actually bought a small voltage checker ages ago! One 3S lipo is 4.13, 4.12, 4.12 and the other is 4.06, 4.06, 4.08. I think I'll continue to use them, checking that the cells are all balanced each time, despite my charger working up- I think my charger is charging all the cells properly, but just not displaying it. I hope.