Skybench Models E-Sunbird build & discussion thread - RC Groups
Aug 03, 2017, 10:31 PM
Theoretical balsa dust maker
Build Log

Skybench Models E-Sunbird build & discussion thread

Greeting all.
To help keep all the discussion and questions together and to not hijack the Wood Crafters thread, I figured we should start a new thread for the E-Sunbird builds / questions / tips and tricks.

I know the kits have not shipped yet, but we can at least have a place to start to plan them out.

I am guessing the power options might be a point of interest so I figure that would be a good place to start.
Anyone with experience with the original kits have any input? Maybe fuse size to get a basic idea as far as what diameter motor might fit or might not?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 03, 2017, 10:57 PM
Cheetah 2208-12 is used in the similar sized Chrysalis
#1 Motor: 2208-12 Propeller: 7.5" x 4" Battery pack: 850mah 3S LiPo or 450mah 3S LiPo

#2 Motor: 2208-12 Propeller: 8" x 6" Battery pack: 850mah 2S LiPo or 450mah 2S LiPo

Recommended Equipment

2-4 to 6 gram servos

Micro receiver

18-20 amp ESC
Aug 04, 2017, 07:36 AM
I'm on board! Looking forward to the build. I'm thinking Doculam for covering wings and tail. And WBPU for fuse to keep it light
Aug 04, 2017, 09:37 AM
3RN13
I'm in, but I'm going to wait to see the kit before I make any gear or covering decisions.

Steve -- I wonder if Doculam is tintable with something like Rit dye?

Ernie
Aug 04, 2017, 10:38 AM
Ernie,

Yes, I believe it is, in fact I think Dave West did this. But I'm ok with having simply clear and natural wood.
Aug 04, 2017, 10:52 AM
What, Me Worry?
It's been a really long wait so far for Skybench to begin shipping anything. Anyone have any information on a projected shipping date for kits? Skybench web site doesn't help.
Aug 04, 2017, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmo01
Cheetah 2208-12 is used in the similar sized Chrysalis
#1 Motor: 2208-12 Propeller: 7.5" x 4" Battery pack: 850mah 3S LiPo or 450mah 3S LiPo

#2 Motor: 2208-12 Propeller: 8" x 6" Battery pack: 850mah 2S LiPo or 450mah 2S LiPo

Recommended Equipment

2-4 to 6 gram servos

Micro receiver

18-20 amp ESC

I've actually got 2 sets of the recommended motors and props from DJ A so I can test using the Sunbird once I have it built. I may choose a different set up though depending on the performance.

John
Aug 04, 2017, 02:48 PM
The King Moonracer of balsa.
Hmmm..... I have a little HiMax 2212-1180 motor sitting on the shelf in the shop which needs a home. Might have just gotten one step closer to going all in. Anyone here thinking of doing a scratch build of this?

Wayne
Last edited by Windependence; Aug 04, 2017 at 02:55 PM.
Aug 04, 2017, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence
Hmmm..... I have a little HiMax 2212-1180 motor sitting on the shelf in the shop which needs a home. Might have just gotten one step closer to going all in. Anyone here thinking of doing a scratch build of this?

Wayne
Do It! The more The merrier... and then we can compare how the different motors effect the launch
Aug 04, 2017, 03:00 PM
The King Moonracer of balsa.
Does anyone know what this design would have been covered with back when it was first produced? Monokote, silk and dope, something else? Just wondering. Thinking this might look good in polyspan.

Wayne

Oops, forget it. I see it was designed in 1980 so most likely it was a film covering.
Aug 05, 2017, 11:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbu1
It's been a really long wait so far for Skybench to begin shipping anything. Anyone have any information on a projected shipping date for kits? Skybench web site doesn't help.
Ray is working with his new laser cutting service. Only a guess but the Sunbirds may be a test run??? Dunno
I think he is really "standing up" to halt orders until he can deliver 'em in a timely fashion.

Every kit of his I have built is worth the wait....if you knew how slow I build you could really have a laugh at that comment!!
Aug 11, 2017, 02:44 PM
Glad to be part of the group. I plan to be the "if HE can build one, anyone can" guy.
Aug 11, 2017, 03:21 PM
Hey everyone here isw some reading for you while we wait for the kits. I found this link on Outerzone referring back to a post here on RCGroups for two articles written by Dave Thornburg. one from March 1979 and the other one from April 1980 specifically about the Sunbird.

My favorite part from the article is from the construction tips when he's talking about percentages and the type of scale you should ask to buy at the post office LOL!

John

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=302
Aug 11, 2017, 07:28 PM
Forced to raise the price of the Sunbird kit, now $99.95. All previous orders received will be priced at the original $89.95. There are nine kit buyers waiting, hang in there guys, it is a terrific kit and performer .

First time I witnessed disc launching was at the Sunbird event in Arizona, it was a Sunbird. Trying to remember the Pilots name, I'll find it. Dick ?

I received the laser parts, will take one to two weeks to get the kits put together .

I think my Sunbird weighed 10 or 12 oz, will see how close I come to that with the motor, etc.

I think this will be a lot of fun, I love one of a kind events.

Ray
Woodys Forever
Latest blog entry: From my Fall 2012 Newsletter
Aug 25, 2017, 10:28 PM

coloring Doculam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie b
I'm in, but I'm going to wait to see the kit before I make any gear or covering decisions.

Steve -- I wonder if Doculam is tintable with something like Rit dye?

Ernie
Very light MIST of spray paint has been done with good results...they didn't post the flubbed up pics