Sep 30, 2017, 09:39 PM

Succesful Strategies

Comments about conditions and strategies that worked?

All the best.

Luis
to remove ads between posts
Oct 01, 2017, 10:10 AM
SO freakin' disappointed I'm missing this! Got home from the field on Friday after practice and got hit by a 24 hour stomach bug. Spray painted all ways into the wee hours and now here I am on Sunday morning, feeling better, and REALLY disappointed!

Why? Because F5J is fun. Lenny, Chris and RMSA have down a pristine job right from the beginning and I see great things for this discipline in the future.

Anyway, another great day coming up. I'm enjoying that leader board even if my scores are showing zero.

Disappointed? Yes. But, on the other hand, it's a luxury to have a club and activity that I look so forward to.

I hope you guys have a blast!

Reid
Oct 01, 2017, 08:28 PM

Final scores?

Anybody have the final scores?
Oct 01, 2017, 08:39 PM
Standings - but Lenny should post details later..

Prelims:
1. Skip Miller - 8519
2. Jim Monaco - 8400
3. John Lovins - 8233
4. Jon Padilla - 8199
5. Chris Bajorek - 8064
6. John Armstrong - 7867

Finals:
1. John Lovins
2. Chris Bajorek
3. Jon Padilla
4. Jim Monaco
5. John Armstrong
6. Skip Miller

Finals were in a brutal wind, the pilots did good to get 8 minutes..

Congrats to my pal John Lovins on an event well flown!

More later...
Jim
Oct 01, 2017, 08:58 PM
Jody Miller
Good job guys. I heard it was really difficult.
Congrats to Skip and John respectively.
I missed being able to follow along live. Jim M has spoiled us all.
It would be great in the future to have live scores posted. Lots of us would love to watch things unfold in almost real time.
Safe travels home everyone.

Jody
Oct 01, 2017, 09:06 PM
It was a fun and challenging contest. We had a great range of different conditions to fly in, ranging from fog to light air to booming thermals to strong winds.
It was a very good test of man and machine. Thanks to all that came out for the contest.
Congratulations to Skip Miller for finishing first in the preliminaries and to John Lovins for a hard earned win in the flyoffs!

I have posted the final scores for the preliminary rounds and flyoffs, as well as the detailed flight scores for all rounds.

Thanks,
Lenny
Oct 01, 2017, 09:17 PM
Afflicted with DDD
So what happened in rd 3 of the flyoffs Midair?

Congrats to John for the win.

Nice flyin'
Oct 01, 2017, 09:43 PM
John Lovins!

At Friday practice I heard a visitor ask you who the hot flyer at our field was. I was going to blurt out that you were but I kept my mouth shut. I was right! I'm assuming Egidas in the wind and a huge Well Done my friend!

And a well done to all. I'm hoping Chris isn't driving back this evening with the storm.
Oct 02, 2017, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soarhead00

Nice flyin'
The wind really picked up for the last round. Skip went way downwind and could not get back. I was doing really well and when I turned to head for the landing area nothing happened. My battery died and my plane just started circling downwind. It came down about 1/3 mile away across 120th.

The good news is that just was just a small crack in the fuse. Whew...

I won the first 2 flights, so that zero took me out of it...
Jim
Oct 02, 2017, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soarhead00

Nice flyin'
Going into the 3rd rnd I was sitting in 3rd and content to not land out or miss a landing, so staying close to the field was my strategy. In round 3 Jim, who was clearly better in those conditions had a battery issue and lost control of the plane. Skip went WAY down wind with an Egida chasing lift I abandoned and didn't make it back, so being conservative was the ticket.
I struggled all weekend with the wind and didn't get it the setup even close till the flyoffs (thanks Skip). I could move around somewhat with a dry Egida moving the CG forward a little. The wind was like Santa Margarita without the hill to run to, probably 15ish gusting higher at times. Never seen a flyoff where no one got 10 min, much less 15.
F5J is a blast. Thanks to Jon Armstrong who shared some tips and stayed at the house. I had to do a roll call this morning to see if Ruby the puppy was on her way to Az. Thanks to all that traveled. Hope you enjoyed the field and if there's anything we can do as a club to improve the experience please let us know.

John
Oct 02, 2017, 09:53 AM
Team Hello Kitty
Nice flying John and yes it was freaky windy for the flyoffs. It was like Santa Margarita as you said but the weird thing is that in both events the wind switch turned on literally minutes after the flyoffs were announced. It's interesting to look at the flyoff flight scores: in round 1 four pilots didn't even make it back to the tapes. For the remaining rounds even in the wind most everyone adjusted and got good landings. And one correction: I actually did have a flyoff flight over 10mins: 10:15 in the final round and I was the last plane down. But you outlaunched me--nice work!

I quickly learned the RMSA field is not just "a sod farm." There are many areas of rolling hills, trees, a paved road, and structures surrounding the grass area and well within flying distance. The lift was usually there to be found if you knew where to go (I didn't always find it <g>). A great learning experience for me.

Watching Skip Miller recover his "disappeared" plane after the field was overtaken by a second fog front in the first Saturday round was a highlight for me. Thanks for the "looping the plane" setup tip which worked perfectly. Brilliant!

It was a privilege to be able to drive out and fiy in this one, I had a blast. Thanks to Lenny, Lenny's wife Barbara who coordinated the sandwiches, Jim Monaco, Jon L and all the other RMSA'ers who helped out including Jim and Bode who timed for me both days. A great group who has really gotten bit by the F5J bug. I'll definitely be back next year.

Reid, I was able to outrun the storm yesterday and made it to Salt Lake City. Back in the car for the rest of the drive home...

Chris
Oct 02, 2017, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsoars
My battery died and my plane just started circling downwind.
Was that a RX battery or a dual purpose motor battery. Traying to draw a lesson.

All the best.
Oct 02, 2017, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Moya
Was that a RX battery or a dual purpose motor battery. Traying to draw a lesson.

All the best.
It was the flight/motor battery. The 3s battery was showing 6v when we measured it after the flight.
I did not get any telemetry warnings, I assume this is because the esc/bec still had enough voltage to run the receiver and telemetry, but not enough for the servos. I will do a post mortem in the next few days to see what really happened. I assume one cell failed at this point.
Jim
Oct 03, 2017, 09:22 AM
A couple more pictures to post from the weekend.
Oct 03, 2017, 10:02 AM
Great pictures, Lenny. Your setup of running and scoring the contest is so beautifully efficient that it fades into the background and people just concentrate on flying. It takes a lot of work by several different people to create a system this elegant; Lenny, Jim M, Chris B, etc.

Lets see:

-Xplorers (several variants)
-Perfections
-Dynamic
-Supra
-Maxa
-Vinco
-Ultimas
-El Nino
-Egidas
-Shadow II
-Kappa (registered but didn't fly although I would have stood out there and barfed-while-thermaling-from-a-ridiculously-low-turn-off, except who would time through that? Maybe George.....)

And there are plenty more out there; hollow molded, foam core, the whole enchilada (which is what I had Friday evening but that's not important right now). It is a testimony to the F5J concept . Overall, I THINK people are willing to invest in these amazing aerospace vehicles because they have a decent chance for survival and are truly built to fly.

It pained me viscerally to read of Jim M's battery failure. That feeling! Last round of the fly-off, doing great and off she goes to parts unknown........ouch. It brings up the backup battery debate but data shows that these battery failures are very rare so I don't know.

It was great to see our youngest participant, Dennis, at the field with an Ultima! Last time it was a Radian. He was flying great on Friday and I just know he'll give us all we can handle very soon!

Blue Skies Over Colorado F3K contest this Saturday. No enchiladas/taco salad or whatever that was. I'll be there!

See you at the field.
Last edited by ReidRoberts; Oct 03, 2017 at 01:25 PM.

Quick Reply