National Model Aviation Day - August 12th

We hope you are ready as next Saturday August 12th is the AMA's National Model Aviation Day. This year marks the 5th annual event that was created to encourage clubs across the US to share the fun of RC with the general public.

Splash

Get Ready to Celebrate National Model Aviation Day

We hope you are ready as next Saturday August 12th is the AMA's National Model Aviation Day. This year marks the 5th annual event that was created to encourage clubs across the US to share the fun of RC with the general public. It's also an opportunity to fundraise for some great causes like the AMA Foundation.

Here's what the AMA says about the event.

Why celebrate #ModelAviationDay?

• This is our national holiday! One day a year we want all AMA members to fly and celebrate model flying with us.
  • AMA helps promote your event and club when your group registers! We want your gathering to be successful. Our sponsors help us advertise the events locally and nationally.
  • Our team has provided several great resources on the National Model Aviation Day website club resources page to help your club promote its event. If your organization has never promoted a special activity, we make it easy.
  • It’s so easy to participate. All you have to do is sign up on the National Model Aviation Day website, nationalmodelaviationday.org
  • This is your chance to support a great cause! This year’s charity is the AMA Foundation. As a supporter of AMA’s benevolent programs, your organization will help us inspire youth to get active in model flying, provide scholarships to students, award grants to clubs seeking assistance, and help support the national flying site at the International Aermodeling Center in Muncie, Indiana.
  • Each registered club receives stickers, is listed on the national event map.
  • National Model Aviation Day is a great opportunity for clubs to promote their groups with local and state governments by requesting a city, county, or state proclamation.
  • We are all in this together! Model flying is our sport, hobby, and something we want to continue for years. This day receives a lot of positive publicity and shows the media and the public how great model flying is.

Plan to Celebrate and join in on National Model Aviation Day

Our hope is that many clubs across the country will participate and celebrate this great hobby we love, just like one of our local clubs the Coffee Airfoilers is planning to do.

Learn more about National Model Aviation Day

Find an event near you

Aug 03, 2017, 02:24 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
this has such a corny, hokey "Hallmark" feel to it....
Aug 04, 2017, 08:58 PM
Just always blame the wind....
Pay to join the AMA. You must.

"This is your chance to support a great cause! This year’s charity is the AMA Foundation."

Follow the money.

Hallmark...when you care to send the best!
Aug 09, 2017, 07:57 AM
You two belong in the Grumpy Old Men thread in the electric forum.
Aug 10, 2017, 02:24 PM
AeroDan
It's like: "Ladies & Gentlemen, It's the second coming!!!!!!"
Aug 10, 2017, 03:15 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
Quote:
Originally Posted by drksky
Sorry, I dont tend to celebrate any of the bullshittiest holidays.... But if I did, I would celebrate Up Helly Aa with crazy Scots and Vikings. Much cooler and much more alcoholic than Model Aviation Day.
Ship on Fire! Viking Up Helly Aa festival heats up in Scotland (1 min 37 sec)
Aug 12, 2017, 12:32 AM
Just always blame the wind....
Quote:
Originally Posted by drksky
I am not grumpy.

I have several friends and 2 neighbor kids who are really interested in all my RC planes and wanting to fly.

To make this story very short....

1. You have to join the AMA to fly, yes even at public field here in Houston.
2. You will have to pay to join a club also.
2. Pay to fly at contests and events.
3. The universal reply to all of this is not favorable.
4. No one new wants to do this hobby because of all of the above.

No I am not grumpy. I do fly a lot and I am teaching 3 young people to fly.
I just happen to have my own 100 acre piece of land where we can all fly and really have a lot of fun.

Just like the good old days..........

Yes I am lucky, and happy to share it, but the "organization" is killing this hobby.
Aug 12, 2017, 12:58 AM
OR65 Eagles Nest
ServiceRep makes great points , That and the fact that the younger generation seems to want instant gratification that true RC flying is not .
Then there are the lack of club fields or places to fly .
My club was recently relocated to a different location and the owner of the property has made the decision that we cannot fly on weekends .
Working full time weekdays has made it to where I have not been able to fly since we moved to the new field in May .
I only wish I had a place to go for tomorrow to fly on the day at least ...
Currently have been looking at new club to join or field location due to the delima at our new location .

Quick Reply