Aug 03, 2017, 08:25 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

1/16 for smooth dirt track?

Hey guys...I ve been searching a lot these days and i decided i want a 1/16 dirt car.This will be my first small car.I had 1/10 drift cars,1/8 nitro rally and monsters,and mostly 1/5 gas gars hpi 5b fg evo etc....So i know nothing about this little scale.

I will make a home dirt track from smooth dirt with no jumps.I ve read many reviews on all the wltoys,the remo,ht cars etc...I am not interested in speed,i am more incled towards handling and torgue.I need the car to be able to slide around corners and not spin out.

I decided that 1/16 is the perfect scale for what i want to do.Wltoys does not have a 1/16 car,so it's out of the "debate".

I like the remo with the aftermarket oil filled shocks and i also liked the ht 1/16 sc....I haven't heard of anyone here talking about the ht cars apart from a couple of reviews...

So guys,what do you suggest for what i want to do?Will the remo do what i want?Do you have anything else to suggest below 70$-80$?

Let's talk about it
to remove ads between posts
Aug 04, 2017, 01:10 PM
Turnigy 1/16's? they have a fair bit of potential... A few mods and they are fairly solid and reliable...
Aug 04, 2017, 01:24 PM
Thread OP
I like them,comming brushless and with oiled filled shocks already,but it will cost me around 130$+ to get here....Double the price from a remo for example
Aug 04, 2017, 03:40 PM
Thread OP
ok,i am a little confused about the size of 1/16 and 1/12.The remo which is a 1/16 states a wheelbase of 185mm,the feiyue which is a 1/12 states a wheelbase of just 193mm,the hbx 1/12 states 240mm and the subotech 1/12 248mm....

What exactly is going on?Shouldnt the size be more consistent through out the same scale?
Aug 04, 2017, 04:08 PM
I'm not familiar enough with the Remo's to make an accurate judgment, As long as parts are available, them I guess it's worth a try. There is an old saying you get what you pay for, and even the Turnigy's have their issues, and parts are only really available through Hobby King, Who have a Terrible track record for keeping up stocks... But generally every part is available, which is something to watch out for with the cheaper stuff...
I love mine, but have spent a fair bit all up...
However with the right mods, they can be made into very fast reliable cars.
And the fact that parts between models are often interchangeable makes them fun to customize.
My Truggy is a full custom, built from parts from a variety of models and a very fast and reliable car, But a lot more $ than a Remo...
Aug 05, 2017, 02:02 PM
Thread OP
Rockracer that's a great collection you got there!i wish i had so many micros!i am growing very fond of them rather quickly!!

As for me,i read everything i could and i must have watched over 100+ youtube videos...I am leanning towards the wltoys A979B.

I love the look of the car,i love the performance and i love all the aftermarket-upgrades there are for it!

Only thing that seemed weird to me,was something a youtube reviewer said...He was the best driver of all the videos i watched.He drifted the car on smooth dirt...At the end of the video he said that the car is not durable at all.After only a season of that said drift,both diffs were making noises/had damage.And that it is not entirely hobby grade and that is better suitted for kids...
Aug 06, 2017, 04:27 AM
This is likely to be a problem with any of your cheaper cars, My Turnigy's have all received Steel Basher Diffs.
Aug 06, 2017, 04:33 AM
These Two are the ones that get the most use. A Basher for my Son and a Custom Flat Chassis Basher for me.
Worth the extra money in my opinion.
Aug 06, 2017, 06:28 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockracer
This is likely to be a problem with any of your cheaper cars, My Turnigy's have all received Steel Basher Diffs.
I have already found all metal transmision,gears,diffs,diff covers for the 979,so i guess it wont be a problem.All i have to do now,is find a way to properly seal all the gears,pinion etc from outside rocks and it will be fine
Aug 06, 2017, 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupra313
I have already found all metal transmision,gears,diffs,diff covers for the 979,so i guess it wont be a problem.All i have to do now,is find a way to properly seal all the gears,pinion etc from outside rocks and it will be fine
There can be a difference between 'All Metal' and Steel. The Turnigy's have 'All Metal' diffs, but they are crap pot metal. The Basher diffs are Steel. And of a similar quality to a Traxxas Diff.
Aug 06, 2017, 04:45 PM
Thread OP
I think they will be sufficient for me.I never bash my cars hard.No jumps,no rock climbing,no crashes for laughs and generally i treat them with respect.

Other than that,if the gears are indeed soft metal and prove to be insufficient even for my kind of driving,then i will make hardened steel gears or even titanium gears by myself.I just need to have one in hand to go through the process of making a digital copy off
Aug 06, 2017, 05:40 PM
The soft metal gears tend to be OK till you run 3S Brushless. but it also pays to be sure they are shimmed correctly, And I like to use proper Automotive Black Molly CV Grease just to be sure.

Quick Reply