Oct 29, 2020, 03:05 AM
Fly planes, Be happy
Never mind, don’t care
Last edited by ooOoo; Oct 29, 2020 at 05:07 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 29, 2020, 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitfireJoe
That is interesting. May explain why the turbo came out with yet another new motor and they didn;t just use the 3600. I forget if anyone has tried the old 2blade timber prop on the newer turbo? Maybe that would cause trouble for the esc? I will have to check what the umx pitts has because mine works just fine with the new 3600 geebee motor.
UMX Pitts uses this brick (SPMAS6410NBL)
UMX Sbach 342 uses that to.
Used a Sbach brick in my RAGE Staggerwing Beech.

I have the UMX Pitts
Interesting that the 3600kv motor works fine on yours (what prop are you using)
Already have a 3600kv motor, so might try that on my Pitts.
Oct 29, 2020, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive66
Too cold for me
If it gets much below 45 degrees, I stay home.
Was born in Utah & moved to Southern CA the day I turned 35.
I'm 75 now & still remember the cold days in Utah.
Wouldn't be in this hobby if I hadn't moved.
Tiny Tim will be staying home tomorrow.
Have room to take it, but UMX planes don't fit in well at the club field.
-Nice models you brought to the field, and I hope today's flying went well for you. I ended up flying seven packs on Timber#3 this morning, and then the weather moved back in, but it sure felt good to get those packs in. It's raining now, and rain is forecast for the rest of the day, with light snow over night; not enough to bust out the floats though :-)
Oct 29, 2020, 03:27 PM
Does it have invasion stripes?
Clive and I have something in common. I was born and raised in Utah and moved to San Diego at age 26. Been here ever since. I turn 63 next week. San Diego is much better for RC than Utah. In fact, I'd venture to say that SoCal may be tough to beat for number of days that are flyable for RC.
Oct 29, 2020, 03:42 PM
My Socata Rallye 235 from 80s
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoUteFan
Clive and I have something in common. I was born and raised in Utah and moved to San Diego at age 26. Been here ever since. I turn 63 next week. San Diego is much better for RC than Utah. In fact, I'd venture to say that SoCal may be tough to beat for number of days that are flyable for RC.
I have flown every morning since July with the exception of maybe 4 or 5 days due to winds, today being one. It's nice to have a break.

Bob
Oct 29, 2020, 05:28 PM
The original UMX Timber came with the small and high pitch prop used on the UMX Sbach and UMX Carbon Cub but those airplanes used the old 2500kv motor.
The UMX Yak and UMX Pitts use the more powerful 3000kv motor that is also used in the original UMX Timber but they both use a larger and more thrust prop with less pitch.

I use the prop from the UMX Yak and UMX Pitts in my original UMX Timber for more thrust. The takeoff roll is measured in inches and it climbs vertically when a lightweight 280mAh battery is used.
BUT if I hammer full power for a takeoff then the motor stops with Over-Current-Protection.
If I push the throttle slowly for about 1/4 or 1/2 a second up to maximum power then the motor does not stop. The motor never shuts down in flight.

The UMX Aero Commander (3000kv motors) and UMX Cirrus (3600kv motor) used the small 3-blades prop used on the UMX Turbo Timber.
Oct 29, 2020, 05:35 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive66
Found that out about the Gee Bee.
According to the manuals on the Version 1 Gee Bee & this UMX Timber, both use the same brick (EFLU4864)

Hmm, this is strange.
Just checked the manual on the UMX Turbo Timber.
Shows the same part number (EFLU4864)

Horizon site for the Version 2 Gee Bee shows this part number (EFLA6420BLGB)
I know they switched from the original 3A ESC to a 5A ESC at some point in the UMX brick evolution. Interesting that they didn't change the PN.

Joel
Latest blog entry: Eflite 2.1m Carbon-Z Cub SS
Oct 29, 2020, 06:36 PM
Outback of Beyond
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoUteFan
No smoky days this year?
Oct 29, 2020, 06:36 PM
I think the original Timber was designed to use the older receiver because the manual does not say anything about SAFE that is on the new receivers. My manual came with separate pages describing SAFE.

The part numbers for the receivers and motors were all mixed up.
I bought a 3600kv motor when it came out. It worked exactly the same as the 3000kv motors in my older airplanes. I can't remember which, the motor or its bag had the wrong kv number.
I returned it and got my money back.
Oct 30, 2020, 11:09 AM
Does it have invasion stripes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bush League
No smoky days this year?
There were a couple of days where it was a bit smoky but not awful. A fire in Alpine, CA (56 miles away) caused a bit of smoke for us. This video shows the worst day of it...

T-28 in a Smoky Sky (2 min 10 sec)
Oct 31, 2020, 11:41 AM
It snowed last night, no accumulation in the valley but the mountains on both sides of me are white. It was nice seeing the snow covered peaks as I drove to the park and ride this morning, Timber#3 in tow. I had a real nice flying session. Bright sunshine, which I haven't seen in several days. The temp was 26 degrees and the wind was 4-6 MPH. The model performed normally at 26 degrees. If I flew in much colder temps I'd consider covering over the cooling holes. Happy flying fellas...
Oct 31, 2020, 01:39 PM
**I'm Battman**
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosram
I have gone through this thread hoping to find an answer to my question:

Has anyone tried the umx turbo Timber motor in the umx Timber?

I see several posts says that it will burn the esc up, it appeared in a couple of instances that this explanation was based on the say-so of a Horizon technician. Of course this may well be the case, but I have tried 3S batteries and the esc shuts down when overloaded, only to recover when the throttle stick is cycled. The esc doesn't burn up. I suspect it is a thermal shutdown and not an over current shutdown...
It would be nice to upgrade with the more powerful motor, presumably with the 3 blade prop. I would rather do this that upgrade to a turbo Timber.

I also see where an external esc has been wired into the circuit board. Is this a viable option? What esc is recommended?

Thank you all in advance,
Nick Marson
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSOSxHawkens
RCBABBEL says in this post:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ostcount=12834

That you can fix ur overheating by pulling the spinner.

He might chime in if he found it to remain an effective fix or not, as hes pretty active on here
--------------

Sorry for the confusion.
The foam spinner removal was not about weight.
It's all about additional air-flow over the brick.

Swapping out E-flite UMX motors is easy.
Go for it!
Experiment a little.

I decided not to purchase a Turbo T because I created something better by modding my V1 Timber to fly on (3S) batts.
I've been doing that to most of my UMX planes for many years.
More power makes these planes so much more fun to fly!

Info on my Blog:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=278

Roger
Nov 03, 2020, 08:53 PM
I had an interesting flight this evening on Timber#3 at the Park and Fly. Due to poor weather, getting a flight window these days has been challenging. I've resorted to keeping a pack charged at all times, after 24 hrs I discharge it and charge another one in the rotation, rinse and repeat. That way, if a marginal forecast turns favorable for flying, I'm good to go. Any way, because of this, I had a pack ready at sunset. The wind had been blowing 18-23mph all day, and spitting snow. It was sunset, real pretty one too, 31degrees, and the wind had eased to 4-7mph on my anemometer, as read before flying. I set the anemometer to record the highest wind reading, and put it on the roof of my car (it's on a small tripod) and then flew the pack. The Timber held it's own during the flight, and I also could tell the wind was blowing at more than 7mph. I kept the ship moving well through the air, kept the speed up and smooth on the sticks, and the model did not get blown around. Before landing, I switched on safe, and landed the plane gently at my feet, full flaps into a breeze that would make a flag stand straight out. I kept enough throttle in, to prevent the plane from rolling backwards due to the wind, and chocked the wheels with my thin fleece gloves, then shut it down. When I checked the anemometer, the highest wind speed reading recorded during the flight was 10mph. All I can say, is the Timber is for sure a solid flying plane in 10MPH wind.
Last edited by elan; Nov 03, 2020 at 09:12 PM. Reason: sp
Nov 04, 2020, 03:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan
I had an interesting flight this evening on Timber#3 at the Park and Fly. Due to poor weather, getting a flight window these days has been challenging. I've resorted to keeping a pack charged at all times, after 24 hrs I discharge it and charge another one in the rotation, rinse and repeat. That way, if a marginal forecast turns favorable for flying, I'm good to go. Any way, because of this, I had a pack ready at sunset. The wind had been blowing 18-23mph all day, and spitting snow. It was sunset, real pretty one too, 31degrees, and the wind had eased to 4-7mph on my anemometer, as read before flying. I set the anemometer to record the highest wind reading, and put it on the roof of my car (it's on a small tripod) and then flew the pack. The Timber held it's own during the flight, and I also could tell the wind was blowing at more than 7mph. I kept the ship moving well through the air, kept the speed up and smooth on the sticks, and the model did not get blown around. Before landing, I switched on safe, and landed the plane gently at my feet, full flaps into a breeze that would make a flag stand straight out. I kept enough throttle in, to prevent the plane from rolling backwards due to the wind, and chocked the wheels with my thin fleece gloves, then shut it down. When I checked the anemometer, the highest wind speed reading recorded during the flight was 10mph. All I can say, is the Timber is for sure a solid flying plane in 10MPH wind.
I find that gusty conditions are no fun for umxs but if you have sustained winds/breeze or a minimal difference between base wind and gusts - you are good to go for most umx models up to 20 mph. Say you have 10-15mph base and then gusts up to 20, this for me still means go time! The other factor that is important is you want constant wind direction. If winds are swirling or changing direction on you this is no good.

My favourites to take up in higher winds are the umx p51, aero commander, and th umx pitts. Planes like my timber and waco are a little less fun because they really can get tossed around and their lift fluctuates dramatically when hit by headwind gusts. This is most an issue for safe landing with those two planes. On gear it is important that you can land right into the wind. The p51 and aerocommander I belly land on grass so I can come in from any direction. Same with my new turbo timber I have on dedicated floats so I can land anywhere, from any direction. Wind just seems to cut around the tiny pitts so even though it is on gear I have little trouble bringing it in even in a moderate strong crosswind!

With the timber, I love to bring it into the wind with half flaps and just set it right down, you can basically spot land it with zero ground speed this way when you have 10 mph or more breeze right over the wings. Then don't bother trying to taxi though, just walk over -or in many case lean over and pick it up!

So ya, don't be afraid of a little wind with these little planes, the as3x really helps and you can get a lot more flight hours in when you realize it takes a lot of wind before you have to be grounded!
Nov 04, 2020, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitfireJoe
That is interesting. May explain why the turbo came out with yet another new motor and they didn;t just use the 3600. I forget if anyone has tried the old 2blade timber prop on the newer turbo? Maybe that would cause trouble for the esc? I will have to check what the umx pitts has because mine works just fine with the new 3600 geebee motor.
The original Timber used the old 5" high pitch prop used on the Sbach and Carbon Cub that used the old weak 2500kv motor.
TurboParker recommended using the larger 5.75" lower pitch prop that was used in the Yak and Pitts that both used the same powerful 3000kv motor. Then the Carbon Cub has more thrust.

The original Timber also uses the 3000kv motor. Then also I changed the prop on my original Timber to the Yak/Pitts prop for more thrust. Now it can make a very short takeoff roll and leap off the ground. It can also climb vertically. But if I quickly hammer max throttle for a takeoff the motor shuts down with Over Current Protection so I slow down full power to about 1/4 of a second and it is fine. In flight the load is less so the motor never shuts down. With this prop I do not need a Turbo Timber. Maybe the Turbo Timber uses the 3-blades prop for looks then needed the more powerful 3400kv motor for enough thrust.

My Aero Commander uses two of the 3000kv motors used on the original Timber and two of the same 3-blades prop used on the Turbo Timber but the Aero Commander has very light weight and has plenty of thrust.

Quick Reply