Feb 18, 2020, 09:35 PM
Elfi Flyer

Battery Warm-Up Procedure

As others have noted, Lipo packs loose a fair amount of their "ummph" when ambient temperatures fall below 40 degrees F. The effect seems, to me, to be more prevalent with small 2 cell packs, even more with 1S lipos. So, I make use of a heating pad, set on low temperature, to keep my 1S and 2S packs warm, prior to installing them on a suitable UMX plane for a flight. This has worked very well for my 450mAh 2S and 850mAh 2S packs, to say nothing of how well it works for the 1S lipos. Also helps to warm up my hands after a flight! Fortunately at our field (York County Flyers, York, SC) we have electrical power available throughout much of the site.

FWIW

RD
to remove ads between posts
Feb 18, 2020, 09:55 PM
They call me Lipo...
That's fantastic Doug!

Thanks for sharing that...I'm sure it'll be very useful for folks flying in colder climes... !
Feb 19, 2020, 01:14 AM
I have a foolproof method to prevent pre-mature lipo discharge due to cold temps.
I simply donít fly my planes til the outside air temp reads at least 60 degrees F.

Strictly a shirt sleeve-weather past time for this cold weather weenie. . Which is why I have to take full advantage of the summer months!
Feb 19, 2020, 08:19 AM
Horizon Brand Ambassador
Doug, that is another great suggestion. I gave up on my old 1S UMX planes in temps below 60'F. Hopefully the winter will be over soon and temps will start to come up where flying is possible without any special processes to keep things warm.

Coptafeel, pretty much everyone in my club stays inside when it is below 60'F. We do get a few spring and fall flights when it is in the 50's, but it is rare. When summer finally arrives, we fly until it is just too dark or we run out of batteries. There are times we fly until almost 10:00pm in June and July. We do a year's worth of flying in 5 months, then back inside for 7 months.
Feb 19, 2020, 09:28 AM
That thing almost hit me
You can just toss the batteries in a baggie and set it on a dashboard heating vent on your way to the field.
Feb 19, 2020, 09:42 AM
I bring a Hibachi grill and two gallons of starter fluid.
Feb 19, 2020, 09:51 AM
If it Works, You Better Fix It
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigredone
Bill thanks for the suggestions on the tail assembly. I think I found the issue and have it corrected. The rear wheels wire to the plane was a bit loose. Some gorilla glue secured this. Then, I must have had a slight bend in the servos linkage because a small tweak on the u joint wire removed my extra play. It would turn in one direction but not the other and struggled to return to its rest position and be aligned as it should.

I just needed to sit a look at the thing for a while. Newbie here so thanks again for the advice. More flying and less repairing needed here...
You're welcome. I forgot about Gorilla Glue, that works and so does Elmers white glue other members have reported. Glad you got it sorted.

Bill S.
Feb 19, 2020, 09:59 AM
If it Works, You Better Fix It
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Flynow
Excellent suggestion !!! I too always try to take the "Safety First" approach. Plus you can keep your coffee and grub hot on the grill along with your batteries.

Bill S.
Feb 19, 2020, 10:09 AM
Horizon Brand Ambassador
Quote:
Reminds me of the Sno*Drift Rally in northern Michigan where everyone gathers around grills and bonfires to keep warm in the woods while rally cars go blasting by. It is so cold that beer freezes while trying to drink it.
Feb 19, 2020, 10:11 AM
That thing almost hit me
Quote:
Be careful Hugo, remember the last time when you tried to heat the battery when it was still in the plane........
Feb 19, 2020, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecheek1
Some idiot says it fly's like a brick with a 450.
On another thread dog du du said it flew like a brick. Of course he doesn't know what he is talking about.
Instead of being rude and nasty, why not discuss the battery weight peacefully?

Horizon Hobby says many times that the UMX Timber uses a 280mAh battery and the UMX Turbo Timber has more power using the same battery.
My UMX Timber flies well with a 280mA battery and it can almost hover and can climb very steeply. The 280mAh battery weight is 16 grams.
With a 450mAh battery that weighs 31 grams, almost double the 280mAh battery, the airplane is 12.4% heavier and cannot hover and the climb is noticeably not as steep. Then of course it flew like a brick.
With the heavier battery then the center of gravity was wrong causing the airplane to be nose heavy, even with the battery as far back as it can go. I needed to add some up elevator trim which caused it to climb when accelerating. Did you add trim or add tail weight (both?) to yours?

My UMX Timber has used the larger Yak/Pitts prop ever since its second day. Joel recommended it for the UMX Carbon Cub that I use it on and he calls this prop a "stump puller". Does your UMX Timber still use the old little Timber prop that was used on the antique Beast and Sbach?

I like my airplanes to fly slowly with lots of thrust. I guess you are different.
My UMX Yak flies well with the lightweight 150mAh battery it came with. My UMX Aero Commander also flies well with my 450mAh battery when other people use a much heavier 800mAh battery.
Feb 19, 2020, 12:25 PM
That thing almost hit me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioguru again
Instead of being rude and nasty, why not discuss the battery weight peacefully?

Horizon Hobby says many times that the UMX Timber uses a 280mAh battery and the UMX Turbo Timber has more power using the same battery.
My UMX Timber flies well with a 280mA battery and it can almost hover and can climb very steeply. The 280mAh battery weight is 16 grams.
With a 450mAh battery that weighs 31 grams, almost double the 280mAh battery, the airplane is 12.4% heavier and cannot hover and the climb is noticeably not as steep. Then of course it flew like a brick.
With the heavier battery then the center of gravity was wrong causing the airplane to be nose heavy, even with the battery as far back as it can go. I needed to add some up elevator trim which caused it to climb when accelerating. Did you add trim or add tail weight (both?) to yours?

My UMX Timber has used the larger Yak/Pitts prop ever since its second day. Joel recommended it for the UMX Carbon Cub that I use it on and he calls this prop a "stump puller". Does your UMX Timber still use the old little Timber prop that was used on the antique Beast and Sbach?

I like my airplanes to fly slowly with lots of thrust. I guess you are different.
My UMX Yak flies well with the lightweight 150mAh battery it came with. My UMX Aero Commander also flies well with my 450mAh battery when other people use a much heavier 800mAh battery.
My battery for the Timber doesn't fit.......
Feb 19, 2020, 12:48 PM
I have a few spare Pitts/Waco props. Are you saying they work better when still on 2s? I may give it a try if so.
Feb 19, 2020, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnriverluver
I have a few spare Pitts/Waco props. Are you saying they work better when still on 2s? I may give it a try if so.
They don't work better . Some here are known to give out inaccurate info. Some people give good info you can trust. Cannot trust info you just got.
Last edited by dalecheek1; Feb 19, 2020 at 06:36 PM.
Feb 19, 2020, 06:19 PM
Flying Low
Mine flys awesome with the 450mah lipo. Hovers just fine with it as well. I built a small foam tray to move my battery back to sit on top of the brick. Even mount the 250 there when I use them as it flys better that way. Even when I had the 450 at the nose I would never have considered it a brick nor would I say it wouldn't fly slow as I could still putts around with it just fine in my front yard.

Quick Reply