Nov 20, 2019, 07:15 PM
I'd rather be flying!
If I could only have 3 RC planes, they'd be a UMX or 1.5m Timber, a UMX Beast 3D, and a UMX CC.

Joel
Latest blog entry: RealFlight 9
to remove ads between posts
Nov 20, 2019, 07:42 PM
Custom User Name Title
Only 3 UMX planes.... hmm.... I'd want the Timber, Beast, Icon, Aero Commander, A-10, P-51, P-47, Sbach, and I can't count
Nov 20, 2019, 07:43 PM
Fly Planes, Be Happy 😜
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128
only 3 umx planes.... Hmm.... I'd want the timber, beast, icon, aero commander, a-10, p-51, p-47, sbach, and i can't count
lol
Nov 20, 2019, 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnriverluver
Go back a few pages. Flap mod has already been done with impressive results.

HOLY CRAPOLA. Full span FLAPERONS is the answer... with 3s power... this is gonna be so much fun!

Thanks!!!
Nov 20, 2019, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnes0061
Ok, so this looks AMAZING. I am doing this mod for sure... as well as 3s power and programming Flaperons...

Can you give me the details of how you did this? I see you said you removed the servo and taped the ailerons and flaps together... any special method of taping? You removed the servos all together to shave off some weight?

Also, I am considering connecting the flaps and ailerons with carbon fiber rods... do you think I should even bother? Do you notice any flexing issues with the tape or is it stiff enough?

Lastly, anything I should know about programing the flaperons or is it pretty straight forward in the Wing Type and Flap Setup?

Thanks!
Nov 20, 2019, 09:06 PM
Custom User Name Title
You won't get flaperons, can't program them into the brick. Best you can do is full span ailerons. Which sounds like a lot of fun
Nov 20, 2019, 09:35 PM
Quote:
You won't get flaperons, can't program them into the brick. Best you can do is full span ailerons. Which sounds like a lot of fun
Are you 100% certain? I flipped it to flaperons just to see what would happen and I did get flap and aileron control simultaneously with just the right stick....

Maybe if I plug one aileron into the flap plug that I'll be disconnecting... there's a way to program it?
Nov 20, 2019, 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atoms
Are you 100% certain? I flipped it to flaperons just to see what would happen and I did get flap and aileron control simultaneously with just the right stick....

Maybe if I plug one aileron into the flap plug that I'll be disconnecting... there's a way to program it?
JMHO but if I were doing this I'd simply disconnect the flaps and tape them to the ailerons first and see how it goes. That way it's much easier to put back stock if you decide to later. Full aileron and 3s alone will make it a beast. A second carbon spar in the rear section of the wing would also be a very good idea if doing this mod.
Nov 20, 2019, 09:46 PM
Custom User Name Title
Quote:

Yes I'm certain. The ailerons are internally reversed (as in on a y-cable) as plugged into the board. You won't be able to have both sides in the down position and still have aileron control without reprogramming the brick (which I don't believe the USB programmer will even do, but I haven't tested the Timber) to separate channels 2 and 6. If you are able to separate 2 and 6 then you'll be left with AS3X and SAFE acting only on channel 2 and one or the other ailerons will no longer help stabilize the plane.

Maybe we're talking different languages when referring to flaperons?
Nov 20, 2019, 09:56 PM
Flying Low
Quote:
Ok, so this looks AMAZING. I am doing this mod for sure... as well as 3s power and programming Flaperons...

Can you give me the details of how you did this? I see you said you removed the servo and taped the ailerons and flaps together... any special method of taping? You removed the servos all together to shave off some weight?

Also, I am considering connecting the flaps and ailerons with carbon fiber rods... do you think I should even bother? Do you notice any flexing issues with the tape or is it stiff enough?

Lastly, anything I should know about programing the flaperons or is it pretty straight forward in the Wing Type and Flap Setup?

Thanks!
I removed the servo yes to help remove some weight. Still yet to get any 3S batts to try on it so every little bit helps in that department. Do you happen to have a link to the 3S batteries your using? As for tape I just use a piece of clear packing tape maybe 1/2" wide and an inch long and it has held up fine.

Quote:

I tried flaperons the other day and when I flip the flap switch both ailerons do move but they move as ailerons not flaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnriverluver
JMHO but if I were doing this I'd simply disconnect the flaps and tape them to the ailerons first and see how it goes. That way it's much easier to put back stock if you decide to later. Full aileron and 3s alone will make it a beast. A second carbon spar in the rear section of the wing would also be a very good idea if doing this mod.
Its not as easy as just disconnecting them to see. That's what I planned to do but the torque rod that connects them to the flap servo wont allow movement in both directions. I opened the fuse up and just pulled it all out.

Quote:
Yes I'm certain. The ailerons are internally reversed (as in on a y-cable) as plugged into the board. You won't be able to have both sides in the down position and still have aileron control without reprogramming the brick (which I don't believe the USB programmer will even do, but I haven't tested the Timber) to separate channels 2 and 6. If you are able to separate 2 and 6 then you'll be left with AS3X and SAFE acting only on channel 2 and one or the other ailerons will no longer help stabilize the plane.

Maybe we're talking different languages when referring to flaperons?

I wondered if they where basically on a Y which makes sense as in the initial model setup the manual tells you to set it up as one aileron servo. I think we are all thinking the same thing when it comes to flaperons. Never knew there was a USB cable for the brick.
Nov 20, 2019, 09:57 PM
YHD
YHD
No issues with the long video.Lots of good stuff IMHO.
Nov 20, 2019, 10:12 PM
Retired young, in R/C since 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnes0061
Still yet to get any 3S batts to try on it so every little bit helps in that department. Do you happen to have a link to the 3S batteries your using?
Beyond a shadow of a doubt you need to talk to Roger (Battman) on this thread. Not only will he provide the best batteries, but it just so happens he flies all his UMX planes on 3s, so knows exactly what works...
Nov 20, 2019, 10:14 PM
@cbarnes0061

I am just using the 300mAh 3s batteries from E-FLite because they're the ones that go in my UMX F-27....

I haven't flown it 3s yet, but I will report back when I do.

I did some ground testing just to see how it would spin up that 5.75" prop on the 2500kv motor... and it seems REALLY good. No OVP kicked in at full throttle, so I think that's a good sign.
Nov 21, 2019, 09:31 AM
**I'm Battman**
Quote:
No, not 3D
No, not Aerobatics
Maybe? Slow flight
Probably? Ease of flight

Best overall because of doing everything well above average though!!

I agree.

Was flying my Timber yesterday morning.
My hands were getting cold during the flight.
I set the throttle and she flew a beautiful hands-off circle while I warmed both hands.
I keep rechargeable electronic hand warmers in each jacket pocket.

The ole Timber is so easy to fly!

Roger
Nov 21, 2019, 09:34 AM
**I'm Battman**
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
If I could only have 3 RC planes, they'd be a UMX or 1.5m Timber, a UMX Beast 3D, and a UMX CC.

Joel
Joel,

The thought of only having 3 UMX planes is awful!!

Would you like to take a guess what my three would be???

Roger

Quick Reply