Sep 21, 2019, 04:18 PM
The king of mediocre flyin'!

Stoopid whirleygig...

Timby PM float blather! (7 min 9 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Sep 21, 2019, 05:14 PM
Is a 6 channel radio required to fly this umx?
Sep 21, 2019, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikybob
How does that Beaver Fly? On the simulator as well as my little XK A600 they seem a bit tricky especially in stalls. I've been looking at picking up that bigger Flyzone version.
Sep 21, 2019, 06:02 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBee
Is a 6 channel radio required to fly this umx?
Yes - if you want flaps and switchable SAFE. If you don't plan to use SAFE on a switch (SAFE-Select), 5 channels are enough for standard full-house control plus the flaps. That said - you want at least a 3-position switch for the flaps so you can have zero, partial, or full flaps.

Better-yet, use a proportional slider or knob so you can have infinitely-variable flap positions. That's what I always use for flaps. Allows me to select the ideal flap position for any flight-condition that benefits from flaps - rather than being limited to only partial & full, which are only correct at two airspeeds & a narrow AUW range. Nearly all of the complaints about "ballooning with flaps" are due to having the wrong flap setting & power-setting for the flight-condition.

Joel
Latest blog entry: E-flite 850mm Pitts
Sep 21, 2019, 06:53 PM
Joel,I only have a DX4E.... But I believe it has 6 channels as there is a 3 position switch for flight modes ,and another for rates. Don't know how that would configure things when bound. I'm sick of hand launching everything and ditching in the weeds!
Sep 21, 2019, 07:13 PM
I'd rather be flying!
OhBee,

It's time to upgrade your transmitter. If you plan to get into planes with flaps (and maybe retracts down the road) you'll need at least a 6-chan tx. You'll need a true 7-chan tx if you fly a full-house plane that has flaps & retracts - and you also want SAFE-Select on a switch.

The best advice is to buy more tx than you think you'll ever need. Those who skimp on their 1st and/or 2nd tx nearly always end-up needing more channels at some point & have to buy yet 1-2 more transmitters down the road. Buying a couple of upgrade transmitters as your channel requirements expand is a LOT more expensive overall than simply buying a full-featured 7-10 chan tx in the first place. Plus - limiting what you fly to 4-chan because you currently own a beginner-level 4-chan transmitter dramatically limits your flying & learning experience, along with your ability to explore new airframes that have a lot more capability than a basic 4-chan plane has.

I've already been there & done that - the expensive way. Started out with a 4-chan rig that didn't even have dual-rates or expo. Wasn't long before I needed to upgrade to a 6-chan rig. Not all that many years later, I had to upgrade to an 8-chan rig. Then I FINALLY upgraded to a premium-brand module-based full 10-chan rig - which is still serving me well after 19 years, with zero problems of any kind. It flies anything I'd ever want to fly - from decked-out fixed-wing stuff that needs a bunch of extra channels, to any type of rotorcraft. Oh - and 3 of the extra channels are fully-proportional, and 3 of 'em are on 3-way switches.

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; Sep 21, 2019 at 07:25 PM.
Sep 21, 2019, 11:19 PM
Yeah...well there will be no transmitter upgrade trying to survive on Soc.Sec. only! With no electronics savy at all I wouldn't be able to operate one of those complicated transmitters anyway.
Sep 22, 2019, 01:23 AM
Mark Harrison
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooOoo
Some guys mistakenly think parts of their body will shrivel up and fall off if they use SAFE, so much so that they feel the need to mention that they don't even have it programmed every time the topic is brought up.
I was there at the airfield when they tried, it was not a pretty sight!
Sep 22, 2019, 08:00 AM
Don't hate bro
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhar
I was there at the airfield when they tried, it was not a pretty sight!
Sep 22, 2019, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Joel,I only have a DX4E.... But I believe it has 6 channels as there is a 3 position switch for flight modes ,and another for rates. Don't know how that would configure things when bound. I'm sick of hand launching everything and ditching in the weeds!

i don't think a dx4e works with a timber, the push button is either ch 5 or 6 and is no use for flaps or flight modes, get a dx6 of some sort ( i'm not a fan of the dxe ) or a dx8e.
Sep 23, 2019, 07:55 AM
OhBee, another option would be the UMX J3 as you don't need additional channels since it doesn't have SAFE or flaps. I alternate between my J3 and Timber. I added lights to my J3 so I can fly it at dusk. Both are outstanding aircraft to fly and the J3 has no issues with slow flight even though it doesn't have flaps. The Timber can slow down to a crawl with flaps, but I don't fly it that way unless I am practicing slow flight. Both make great float planes as well. Both of mine have been dedicated float planes since a few flights after the maiden.

I do suggest getting rid of the DX4 and upgrading to something better. I used a DX4 and DX5e when I started out, but realized that I couldn't expand my hanger much past a simple 4-channel plane. The DX5e did have expo, but it couldn't be adjusted to dial in the planes. With a programmable radio, I could dial in the right amount of throw, expo, flap deployment speed, and just about anything else I needed to do. Now I wish I had a DX9 instead of a DX6 as I can't use flaps, retracts, and SAFE (or gyro on/off for my Lemon planes). A good transmitter is probably the most important investment you can make in the hobby. It completely changed the hobby for me.
Sep 23, 2019, 10:45 AM
If it Works, You Better Fix It
Quote:
I don't believe you can even setup the Timber UMX properly with that TX. Servo throws need to be reduced below 100 % on all control surfaces. Or at least the ones you plan to use. I looked at the specs on HH site and not much there as far as features. If you don't have EPA (end point adjustment) that can be programmed then it's a no go without risking damage to the servos.

Bill S.

EDIT : Avoid the e TX's as locoworks stated. DX6 as a minimum DX8G2 would be better but bigger $$$. The other option is some less expensive FrSky / Tranius ( did I spell that right ? ) other members that know about them might be able to steer you into a proper, less expensive option. Much less expensive than genuine SPEK stuff I've heard and folks really like them.
Last edited by VelocityRC; Sep 23, 2019 at 11:27 AM.
Sep 23, 2019, 11:08 AM
I used to fly UMX planes on a DX5e that you couldn't reduce the throw values. I did not have any issues flying the planes with 100% travel. When I got my DX6, I reduced the travel on the servos and have kept them reduced ever since. I do think my servo sticking issues on my early UMX planes were probably a result of the 100% travel. The issues showed up later in life and after I had reduced the throws. DeToxit saved them all and I still fly my UMX Corsair that had probably 50+ flights on it with the DX5e and full servo travel. I don't think reducing the servo throws is mandatory, but rather a best practice to give the best life for the servo. I still get sticky ones on planes that have never been flown at full servo travel, so it isn't a cure-all.
Sep 23, 2019, 11:24 AM
Don't hate bro
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelocityRC
I don't believe you can even setup the Timber UMX properly with that TX. Servo throws need to be reduced below 100 % on all control surfaces. Or at least the ones you plan to use. I looked at the specs on HH site and not much there as far as features. If you don't have EPA (end point adjustment) that can be programmed then it's a no go without risking damage to the servos.

Bill S.

EDIT : Avoid the e TX's as locoworks stated. DX6 as a minimum DX8G2 would be better but bigger $$$. The other option is some less expensive FrSky / Tranius ( did I spell that right ? ) other members that know about them might be able to steer you into a proper, less expensive option. Much less expensive than genuine SPEK stuff I've heard and folks really like them.
I'm a Taranis fanboy all the way and wish the entire world would use them, but for him I think his best bet would be to pick up a used DX6 from the classifieds. They often sell for about $120 to $130 shipped.
Sep 23, 2019, 11:26 AM
If it Works, You Better Fix It
@ BRGT350 See highlight. RE:may last post. Just trying to put out the best info I can. Not what can be gotten away with. Linear servos can and do bind at full travel. Different TX's, even the same model will have variences in what full travel actually results to in servo movement. To recommend this practice to a beginner is irresponsible IMO. If he doesn't have much desposible income as he stated why risk the plane too. Just trying to help a beginner step into this hobby with the best advice possible. If from there he decides not to take it, that's his choice.

Bill S.
Last edited by VelocityRC; Sep 23, 2019 at 11:33 AM.

Quick Reply