Sep 17, 2019, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyboy2
Got to replace the rudder servo.......please don't make me look thru almost 700 pages.....please........i am lazy and want someone to tell me how to crack this thing open......can't find a vid on youtube.
Just look at the airplane, find the seam, and cut the tape with a sharp blade. Where you are going to run into trouble is with the fact that the rudder servo is an integral part of the brick. It CAN be replaced, but you are going to need some fine tuned soldering skills. My understanding is when most people run into this problem, they replace the brick-expensive, but easier than replacing a servo ON the brick. Good luck!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2019, 05:47 PM
Don't hate bro
Quote:
Got to replace the rudder servo.......please don't make me look thru almost 700 pages.....please........i am lazy and want someone to tell me how to crack this thing open......can't find a vid on youtube.
What's wrong with your servo?
Sep 17, 2019, 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzir
Just look at the airplane, find the seam, and cut the tape with a sharp blade. Where you are going to run into trouble is with the fact that the rudder servo is an integral part of the brick. It CAN be replaced, but you are going to need some fine tuned soldering skills. My understanding is when most people run into this problem, they replace the brick-expensive, but easier than replacing a servo ON the brick. Good luck!
Here's the inside....
Sep 17, 2019, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCarolinaCy
Here's the inside....
Yikes I'm glad I ordered a spare plane!! I've never seen how that board is made. My option would be just flying without rudder otherwise.
Sep 17, 2019, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnriverluver
Yikes I'm glad I ordered a spare plane!! I've never seen how that board is made. My option would be just flying without rudder otherwise.
I believe the servos are held in place with tiny screws, but the motor wires are soldered directly to the board. It's a tough call. Go thru the trouble of R & R a 12 dollar servo or replace the 64 dollar board. A shame because the board contains the rx and the speed control as well as the servos.
Sep 17, 2019, 07:13 PM
Don't hate bro
The servo mechanics unscrew from the board. The resistive strip is part of the board. So depending on what part(s) are defective it may do no good replacing the servo mechanics.
Sep 17, 2019, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooOoo
The servo mechanics unscrew from the board. The resistive strip is part of the board. So depending on what part(s) are defective it may do no good replacing the servo mechanics.
Oh. I didn't realize the servos on the brick itself were that different from the ones that are like in the wing. But they must be since the ones that are on the wing have 3 wires. I guess the board itself then must have circuitry that replaces the 3rd wire. Interesting.
Sep 17, 2019, 07:21 PM
Thanks for all the input guys, the servo got stripped....long story involving a step grandkid....it screams and doesn't move much.
Thought about just disconnecting it and going without rudder.....but then how to steer while on the ground becomes the problem. In a past life I traveled the world repairing automated machine tools ....got the required soldering skills.....IF I skip my morning coffee... Ordered the servo yesterday.... I will let you all know how it goes.
Last edited by rockyboy2; Sep 17, 2019 at 08:09 PM.
Sep 17, 2019, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooOoo
thanks for the heads up.
Sep 17, 2019, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Thanks for all the input guys, the servo got stripped....long story involving a step grandkid....it screams and doesn't move much.
Thought about just disconnecting it and going without rudder.....but then how to steer while on the ground becomes the problem. In a past live I traveled the world repairing automated machine tools ....got the required soldering skills.....IF I skip my morning coffee... Ordered the servo yesterday.... I will let you all know how it goes.
Good luck! I'd be interested to know and see pictures.
Sep 17, 2019, 08:30 PM
I had a problem with the rudder servo on my J-3 where it stopped working. I sprayed it with de-oxit and worked it using the gear on the end of the servo and eventually it freed up. Still flying it.
Sep 18, 2019, 02:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwiz
I had a problem with the rudder servo on my J-3 where it stopped working. I sprayed it with de-oxit and worked it using the gear on the end of the servo and eventually it freed up. Still flying it.
DeoxIT is indespensible for the linear servos. It's saved numerous servos and bricks for me.
Sep 18, 2019, 08:51 AM
Agree on the DeoxIT! That stuff keeps my UMX fleet in the air. I use it on all of the servos to keep them working. Probably going to give all the servos a spray prior to putting them away for the winter. Might take them out of the garage as well since I get a lot of moisture in there over the winter and oxidation on the resistance strip is an issue.
Sep 18, 2019, 11:07 AM
Flying Low
I haven't had an issue yet with my UMX Timber and the servos but do remember the old umx sukhoi I had that the servos would act weird sometimes and would need to be cleaned to work properly again.
Sep 18, 2019, 12:50 PM
If it Works, You Better Fix It
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCarolinaCy
When I attempt a take off in SAFE Select, the elevator is pushing the plane down (rather sharply), naturally because of the upward angle the plane rests when on the ground. While the elevator lifts to a level position at the point of level plane forward movement, the downward momentum seems to have been set, and the plane often hits the nose.

(I attempt to over ride this by pulling the elevator all the way up before I begin to roll. Most of time this works.) Does anyone else have this issue?

I have had the Timber UMX almost a year. Early mornings here in the Carolina are often calm.
Great Fun!
When the brick initializes it takes into consideration the angle of the fuse on the ground and from there the elevator "should" still be level with the H Stab. I have 2 UMX Timbers and I only used SAFE for the first few flights since I was new to fixed wing. I know I would have noticed that on initial roll out so I would say no, that does not seem like normal behavior. When the weather clears i'll check out my new one and see for sure and post back unless someone else chimes in in the mean time.

If you've been flying it that way for a year and all you have to do is what you described and otherwise it flies fine, I personally wouldn't worry about it except you mentioned "most of the time". If it's intermitent that would further confirm a problem.

Bill S.
Last edited by VelocityRC; Sep 18, 2019 at 01:23 PM.

Quick Reply