Nov 10, 2004, 08:27 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Thread OP

9 lbs! Holy cow!

Just got a reply from Jim Ridgeway who used the weight bearing formula to estimate that the "SlowTabria" was taking nine pounds of force at the wing!
Check it out;"

The stress appplied to the wing is based on the load times the distance to the support. Since you have two supports, divide the load in half. So if your initial distance between the barstools is 2 feet, then the momemt was 2.25 ft-lbs (4.5lb/2 x 1ft). If your second spread was 4 feet, then the moment was 4.5 ft-lbs (4.5lb/2 x 2ft). Which would be the same as appliying a weight of 9 lbs in your initial barstool spacing (9lb/2 x 1ft).

You should also remember that when you are flying, the air is "spreading" the load out over the entire wing span, not just to the tips. I'll have to think for a while, where you would need to set the supports to simulate flight"

Understandably it not flying with 9 lbs of weight on it however its sure nice to know that it'll take it if it runs into heavy G's!

Thanks Jim.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2004, 09:55 PM
Where's the Kaboom?
As I promised.

In the last photo you'll see the scoring I have done, and with those gaps there, I can imagine that my wing is not as strong or rigid as yours. My airfoil can change if you apply pressure in a localized area. But the packing tape seems to keep the shape good enough for government work.

I'll be sure to post pictures as my work progresses.

Nov 10, 2004, 10:48 PM

Wing Strength

I'm really impressed with the strength of your wing. I think the strength comes from a combination of the blucore itself and the spars. Also I calculated your wing area and it is approx. 585 sq in vs the SS is approx. 510 sq in.

I couldn't resist trying the weight on my SS (see pic). I got 4lbs at a 2 foot span but couldn't get any more on it and at approx. 4ft span it couldn't take any signifiant weight at all. My wing is carbon fiber LE and TE and fiberglass at the junction of the wings.

I don't recall seeing the weight of your plane, could you weigh it?

Congratulations on a neat homemade plane.

Larry
Nov 10, 2004, 11:49 PM
Where's the Kaboom?
I just emailed this gentlemen to see if he can hook us up. Well actually I didn't mention anyone but me but I did direct him to this thread in the email I sent him.

Okay, back to work

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/carb...2307210/tm.htm
Nov 11, 2004, 04:40 AM
In Thrust We Trust
Thread OP
Neologic, now I can see what you've done. Looks fine, should be plenty strong when you add the struts later. Great hook up on the thread, hope he gets back to you.

Ridgetop, its 20 oz auw (minus video equipment, 30 oz with). CF is important, but how you anchor it to the foam and where, is whats giving it its strength. I'm very impressed that your SS is handling that much weight, good build job!
Nov 11, 2004, 07:34 AM

whats the thickness of the sheets?

Whats the thickness of the sheets your are using? 1 centimetre? more less 3/8 inches?
I do have acces to depron only, i will try to build your plane in depron but dont know the thickness of the sheets that i should get.
Nov 11, 2004, 08:09 AM
Where's the Kaboom?
Finji-

There are two thicknesses of Bluecor that I know of. 1/4 inch and something thicker like 1".

Also, you might want to check out this site to compare the two.

http://www.3dfoamy.com/all_about_foam.htm
Nov 11, 2004, 08:33 AM
so i supose the sheets you use for the plane are 1/4 inch?

By the way, bluecore= styrofoam?

It must be available here somewhere but with a name different from the one in the states...
(sorry for the offtopic btw :P nice wings neologic)
Nov 11, 2004, 08:53 AM
Where's the Kaboom?
Finji-

Your right, on this thread we are using 1/4". There is another thread here where one guy built his with the thicker stuff, where as we are using two pieces of quarter inch. I would tend to think this is lighter. My fuse is 4 1/8 oz (122g), not sure how much that other guy's is.

Yes bluecor (no "E" at the end) is a type of styrofoam. Maybe you can find a way to purchase it here: http://www.dow.com/styrofoam/ Like I said, I'm not certain where you live.

Good luck!

Where are you located? I assume Europe somewhere.
Nov 11, 2004, 09:09 AM
Yes, i am located in europe, spain.

What exact type of styrofoam is the bluecor?
I was looking at dow's spanish webpage, they have a lot of kinds of styrofoam which i might am able to purchase, but none of them has thickness less than 25 mm( about 1 inch) .
There is no styrofoam here around 6 mm( 1/4 inch).
They sell the floor, wall, roof, ag mates, no bluecor(in the section for the states the bluecor is another kind of styrofoam)

I think i will write them an email asking, or try to locate a shop that sells it.
Nov 11, 2004, 09:14 AM
Where's the Kaboom?
It's called extruded polystyrene.

Hope that helps
Nov 11, 2004, 10:31 AM
6mm Depron is equivalent to fan-fold foam (F3). In the States, F3 is more readily available than Depron, and much cheaper.

In the past, some have split the thicker stuff using a hot wire to cut it.

Here's a post with links to splitting foam for thinner sheets:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...86&postcount=6
Nov 11, 2004, 12:35 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Thread OP

Beautiful Morning..

her in Virginia. Warm, no wind, good day to get a friends house on the water.
Got a few nice shots in. Heres one of them;
Nov 11, 2004, 01:49 PM
You have a hidden beauty there.

A little rework in Photoshop CS using Adjust Shadow/Hightlights. Hope you don't mind.
Nov 11, 2004, 02:12 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Thread OP
rtideas, Not at all! Thanks for the tip. Got quite a few that where very nice but can only put the ones on I don't mind being passed around. Didn't want to slap logos and web sites across the front of the picture. Think you can add a few mermaids swimming in the water? What settings in Shadow/Highlights did you use? Up two, down one? Actually, I have seen your work and re-works, you know what your doing, so I always welcome insight from you. Feel free.

Quick Reply