Jul 31, 2017, 09:00 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

My offgrid cedar log cabin

I started this project a few years back and just slowly worked on it a little at a time. The logs were cut off my property and hand peeled. The material between the logs is clay from the creek, after the clay has hardened it is painted with latex paint. Its about 250 sq ft on the inside not counting the loft and porch. For power I have 200 watts of solar feeding a 100 amp/hr deep cycle battery which runs a tiny 12 volt dometic refrigerator/freezer 24/7. I just recently finished putting in a outdoor shower with on demand hotwater under the porch that uses propane. I made a montage video about a year ago but the construction photos are a good bit older.

Log Cabin construction montage (3 min 23 sec)
Jul 31, 2017, 09:16 PM
<<<<I|I>>>>
Pioneer style, and homegrown timbers. Nice.

What did you use for fasteners in the perimeter corners and post n beams?
Jul 31, 2017, 09:23 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoam
Pioneer style, and homegrown timbers. Nice.

What did you use for fasteners in the perimeter corners and post n beams?

Nails, the whole thing isn't up to any sort of construction code.
Jul 31, 2017, 09:54 PM
Very cool , nice getaway cabin ..........a lot of work , bet its nice and quite out there .......thanks for sharing .
Jul 31, 2017, 10:07 PM
Thread OP
The whip or wills can be noisy but they usually put me to sleep right away.

Whip-poor-will Song (0 min 46 sec)
Jul 31, 2017, 10:11 PM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Impressive. Great job.
Jul 31, 2017, 11:38 PM
Sweeper Nut
Awesome...something I have always wanted to do...and great lookin cabin.
Aug 01, 2017, 12:43 AM
Greediest Suer
I like it. I worked up there when I was young, doing remodeling. No codes that I recall, but there were inspections to check on my wiring and plumbing. I thought that was a good thing to see if the kid did it right. One "house" only needed an addition for his beautiful daughter, that one took a while. She was older than me and she wanted to test the room.

I didn't mean to ramble, but he also lived very near the top of some river (don't recall the name) and it was their drinking water. His washer drained into it back when phosphates were used. He said it was no problem putting just a little bit of stuff into that sparkling clean water.

So just him dumping a bit from the second house, then a little more from the next, then a little more from the next. Man that water tasted good before it got there. Reminded me of Colorado.
Aug 01, 2017, 12:47 AM
Love it!
Aug 01, 2017, 04:19 AM
foamie re-cycler
Very nice job!.
Aug 01, 2017, 06:42 AM
I'm Kind of a Big Deal
Very cool
Aug 01, 2017, 07:52 AM
Official Old Git!
Always feels good to have created something yourself - and then to make practical use of that creation!

Very cool!
Aug 01, 2017, 06:22 PM
Suspended Account
Very nice work and that Cedar it must smell fantastic.

Its a lovely wood, but the tree is actually Juniper, you could brew some gin on your place

For woodworkers, juniper has some rather unique features, the most interesting is :
If you soak it in water, I mean soak it, it becomes like rubber and you can bend it like crazy, dried out it keeps that shape. It does not fray as other woods.
Aug 01, 2017, 09:35 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrott
Very nice work and that Cedar it must smell fantastic.

Its a lovely wood, but the tree is actually Juniper, you could brew some gin on your place

For woodworkers, juniper has some rather unique features, the most interesting is :
If you soak it in water, I mean soak it, it becomes like rubber and you can bend it like crazy, dried out it keeps that shape. It does not fray as other woods.
I think you may be right. cedar may be called something different up north than down south. In the open it grows very bushy and doesn't get very tall. But in the woods were it has to compete it grows just like any other tree. The heart wood is red and smells really good, I heard it drives rodents away but I'm not sure.
Aug 07, 2017, 09:10 PM
Thread OP
Thought I would post a few more pics since this isn't yet a completed project. Everything I designed into this cabin is made for self sufficiency during a crisis situation. I just finished plumbing the on demand hot water heater to feed the indoor sink along with the outdoor shower. The water comes from a plastic watering trough nestled against the porch and feed by rain water.

Quick Reply