Oct 19, 2017, 11:33 PM
Thanks Ben & August...

Looked up the Pro-Formance. 3 sheets for $5.00 doesn't seem too bad. I haven't dug out my 1s planes to check the thickness, but what would be similar to the tail feathers- 1mm?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 20, 2017, 06:13 AM
Oh! Just love model
Yes, they are probably about 1mm. Even some of of the 2s UMX like the Waco have tail feathers that thin. That's why some buyers find they are bent even when new. I don't have the 182 but I suspect it may also.

Get the large Pro-Formance sheets; much cheaper per square inch. I generally wait for one of Tower's shipping sales for members.

August
Last edited by K5083; Oct 20, 2017 at 06:31 AM.
Oct 20, 2017, 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K5083
Yes, they are probably about 1mm. Even some of of the 2s UMX like the Waco have tail feathers that thin. That's why some buyers find they are bent even when new. I don't have the 182 but I suspect it may also.

Get the large Pro-Formance sheets; much cheaper per square inch. I generally wait for one of Tower's shipping sales for members.

August
Thanks for the tip.

How is the Pro-Formance different from depron, and in what way do I have to work differently with it?
Oct 20, 2017, 07:41 AM
By the way, excited to hear how your Wildcat maiden goes!
Oct 20, 2017, 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128
The pro-formance is what I'll probably get once (if??) my supply of 1mm depron runs out. But my gosh that stuff is so expensive
Try inexpensive (and readily available) foam plates .

They're generally about 1.2mm and a little stiffer than Depron (a good thing ... but easier to crack vice bend), and don't seem to have a grain. Cut out the centers of the plates, sandwich them between two pieces of glass, and heat in oven for ~10 minutes at 175F to perfectly flatten them.

You'll quickly amass a stack of 5 1/2 in diameter foam-at-the-ready for micro items like vertical and horizontal stabs, formers, etc.

Gene K
Oct 20, 2017, 08:41 AM
Oh! Just love model
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Winger
Thanks for the tip.

How is the Pro-Formance different from depron, and in what way do I have to work differently with it?
I got into that in this thread on a Sea Fury that I built out of it.

Generally, I found it stiffer and more difficult to curve without cracking. You'll see I used a creasing technique to roll it into tubes. I think if I tried this project again I would use 2mm rather than 1mm sheets for the tubes that make up the fuselage; I haven't tested the curving properties of the 2mm yet.

August
Oct 20, 2017, 08:46 AM
Oh! Just love model
Quote:
By the way, excited to hear how your Wildcat maiden goes!
This morning was unbelievably perfect for it. But work. The weekend also looks promising and I'm aiming for 7:00 am tomorrow. If anyone cares, the plane weighs 84g with the retracted faux landing gear and no battery. It seems to balance fine with the battery near the forward end of its range. That is at least 20g lighter than my similarly powered Aircore fighters so I am expecting it to be nice and floaty relative to them, even though it is a warbird.

August
Oct 20, 2017, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01
Try inexpensive (and readily available) foam plates .

They're generally about 1.2mm and a little stiffer than Depron (a good thing ... but easier to crack vice bend), and don't seem to have a grain. Cut out the centers of the plates, sandwich them between two pieces of glass, and heat in oven for ~10 minutes at 175F to perfectly flatten them.

You'll quickly amass a stack of 5 1/2 in diameter foam-at-the-ready for micro items like vertical and horizontal stabs, formers, etc.

Gene K
Awesome!! I need to look at my world a bit differently! A perfect source of foam already in my house! Thanks! And it's white!
Oct 20, 2017, 04:26 PM
Quote:
This morning was unbelievably perfect for it. But work. The weekend also looks promising and I'm aiming for 7:00 am tomorrow. If anyone cares, the plane weighs 84g with the retracted faux landing gear and no battery. It seems to balance fine with the battery near the forward end of its range. That is at least 20g lighter than my similarly powered Aircore fighters so I am expecting it to be nice and floaty relative to them, even though it is a warbird.

August
Sounds like you are ready!

Hope to hear of an awesome maiden very soon!
Oct 20, 2017, 04:31 PM
So if I want to make a set of tail feathers out of 1mm foam (foam plate) is it better to hinge them using small pieces of clear tape, or to remove some foam along the hinge line & then flex it?
Oct 20, 2017, 06:05 PM
Oh! Just love model
I always cut them apart and hinge them with tape or Mylar. If you can keep them in one piece and thin the foam at the hinge line, that should work fine too.

August
Oct 20, 2017, 06:52 PM
Quote:
... is it better to hinge them using small pieces of clear tape, or to remove some foam along the hinge line & then flex it?
Different ways to skin that hinge cat. I generally used UHU por hinges, but my new go to is to use cut down No. 6 fish hooks holding .75mm carbon rod. For scale aircraft like the Dr.1 below, I locate the fish hooks at the scale locations by simply poking pilot holes into the receiving surface with a needle (hor stab in this case). The attachment is high res so you can click on it twice if you want to expand it.

Gene K
Oct 21, 2017, 10:24 AM
Oh! Just love model
Maiden of my yellow wing Wildcat this morning was enjoyable with no drama. Fun little plane!

August
Oct 22, 2017, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Maiden of my yellow wing Wildcat this morning was enjoyable with no drama. Fun little plane!

August
Glad it went well!!
Oct 26, 2017, 03:51 AM
Slow is the go!
Thread OP
Here’s another Mustang this time raised the back and back dated her to a C model or
Mk III when with Commonwealth countries. The Royal Australian Airforce had both
P51 Cs and Ds in Italy during WW II. Mine painted in the markings of a 3 Sqn aeroplane.

Here she is pre paint.

Here she is pre weathering, the 3 Sqn P51s had the southern cross on their tails.

After adding weathering using pastels.

Here she is with a stock one, mods included obviously raising the back, cockpit
detail, including seat, radio and instrument panel, paint and moving the battery
hatch from underneath to on top, much better access.

Will maiden soon, still a bit more to do, painting the exhaust and tape to protect
the underside when belly landing.

Quick Reply