May 22, 2019, 05:49 PM
Got the servos mounted and leads run. Ended up with a nice, clean installation.

Taped fuselage together and glued N struts. Only have the prop left to paint and install!

After all the sanding, filling and painting on the top wing the wing has lost it's dihedral. The top wing has some droop, even though the lower wing has plenty. I'm a little concerned about how that might affect the flight characteristics so I'm attempting to add some dihedral back to the top wing. I added some foam supports under the top wing in the box that supports the top wing. I'm hoping this will "train" the top wing to have a little dihedral over time. After an hour or so it seems to be helping.
to remove ads between posts
May 23, 2019, 12:13 AM
I've noticed that some of the WWI fighters actually had some droop in the top wing compared to the lower. I'm betting it will fly just fine!
May 23, 2019, 08:46 AM
My Flyzone Albatros has just a degree or two of dihedral, with more in the bottom wing. Turns just fine, and it doesn't have ailerons!

Another fix, a bit of a hassle, but if you add the wing wires, you can adjust the dihedral by varying the thread tensions before gluing them.
May 23, 2019, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBee
I've noticed that some of the WWI fighters actually had some droop in the top wing compared to the lower. I'm betting it will fly just fine!
I hope so!!
May 23, 2019, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo
My Flyzone Albatros has just a degree or two of dihedral, with more in the bottom wing. Turns just fine, and it doesn't have ailerons!

Another fix, a bit of a hassle, but if you add the wing wires, you can adjust the dihedral by varying the thread tensions before gluing them.
This is encouraging. Thanks!

I also thought of adding rigging, but don't want to mess with the hassle or add any drag to the plane. I added wing struts to my Champ and was shocked at how much drag it added to it.
May 23, 2019, 11:34 AM
I was able to get the battery installed, and added the prop to check CG. I am pleased that the CG didn't move aft much at all! CG seems to be about 26-27mm aft of the top wing leading edge. I think this is a little aft of where the manual says it should be, but my memory is that all the stock PT-17's talked about here we're slightly aft of the manual suggested CG. I checked my stock PT-17 and the CG is within a mm or two of where it is on the C3R. I think that is a good sign - hopefully it will fly ok
May 26, 2019, 05:32 PM
New project during study brake. Finally could start with a plastic focke wulf. Will paint again a ww1 camo on it. Today i've finished the engine. Also 1820style in colors. Still waiting for a cool new umx. Ww2 or better a ww1 plane. Would love have umx ww1, buy the same modell as plastic and use the engine parts to make a scale engine section. Should lift the extra weight, if it is a 2s foamie. Could go for guillow, but e-flite would be better. Pre installed electics and defenetly gona fly. Just some paint and glue job
May 26, 2019, 06:57 PM
Looking great!
May 27, 2019, 01:33 PM
Slow is the go!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Winger
I was able to get the battery installed, and added the prop to check CG. I am pleased that the CG didn't move aft much at all! CG seems to be about 26-27mm aft of the top wing leading edge. I think this is a little aft of where the manual says it should be, but my memory is that all the stock PT-17's talked about here we're slightly aft of the manual suggested CG. I checked my stock PT-17 and the CG is within a mm or two of where it is on the C3R. I think that is a good sign - hopefully it will fly ok
Be ready to crank on the rudder, put a couple of batteries through my Stearman to
Avro Cadet conversion recently. She has linked top and bottom wing ailerons and is
still very mild in roll, have to use a lot of rudder in turns. Only flew her as a Stearman
once and she had a slow roll rate!
May 27, 2019, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Phillipps
Be ready to crank on the rudder, put a couple of batteries through my Stearman to
Avro Cadet conversion recently. She has linked top and bottom wing ailerons and is
still very mild in roll, have to use a lot of rudder in turns. Only flew her as a Stearman
once and she had a slow roll rate!
Thanks for the heads up!! Will be interesting to see how it flys compared to the PT-17.
May 28, 2019, 07:33 AM
Quote:
Looking great!

THX. The modell comes with a display. Covered that with balsa. Thinking of to place the engine outside the plane on the displayplatte and custom build a minimal engine to hold the prop. Again the engine is hand paintes, no airbrush and had a hard try to mix some acrylics to let it look older than a ww2 engine
May 31, 2019, 10:28 AM
Finally finished!! Prop painted and installed. Stock PT-17 weighs 43g with battery. C3R weighs 60g with battery. A 17g increase. I figure that isn't bad considering all the weight added with the longer nose, outrigger gear and an additional aileron servo. CG on stock Stearman is between 26-28mm. CG on C3R is about the same. I have added a very slight mechanical down elevator trim since the stock Stearman has a little with the same CG location.

I am pleased with how it turned out! Hard to believe it started life as a PT-17!

I would like to get a photo of my dad and place him in the rear cockpit. If I can get it figured out I will do that still. I had a nice offer from Pete Phillips to send me a plastic/resin one but I declined because of the weight and difficulty in mounting it. Thanks, though, Peter!!

Hopefully will get photos with the full scale C3R soon, then time for a maiden!!
May 31, 2019, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Finally finished!! Prop painted and installed. Stock PT-17 weighs 43g with battery. C3R weighs 60g with battery. A 17g increase. I figure that isn't bad considering all the weight added with the longer nose, outrigger gear and an additional aileron servo. CG on stock Stearman is between 26-28mm. CG on C3R is about the same. I have added a very slight mechanical down elevator trim since the stock Stearman has a little with the same CG location.

I am pleased with how it turned out! Hard to believe it started life as a PT-17!

I would like to get a photo of my dad and place him in the rear cockpit. If I can get it figured out I will do that still. I had a nice offer from Pete Phillips to send me a plastic/resin one but I declined because of the weight and difficulty in mounting it. Thanks, though, Peter!!

Hopefully will get photos with the full scale C3R soon, then time for a maiden!!
Fantastic!
May 31, 2019, 10:45 AM
Thank you!
May 31, 2019, 02:57 PM
Quote:

Looks Fabulous, how did you ever get that tiny s painted on the wheel hubs just amazing!

Jim

Last edited by JimLindner; May 31, 2019 at 03:15 PM. Reason: added photo

Quick Reply