Oct 19, 2017, 11:06 AM
Oh! Just love model
Yes, the stock paint schemes are one thing I dislike about all RTFs and prepainted ARFs. They're almost invariably inaccurate in some way that irritates me, and even when they aren't, they just are not the paint scheme I would choose. I have to admit the stock scheme on the Wildcat was well executed and I wouldn't have minded leaving it alone, except there was this awesome 1940 scheme out there.

I generally don't strip the existing paint because I find it ruins the foam surface. Sometimes I don't even remove the stickers, although in this case the UMX stickers were thick and would have looked ugly under a coat of paint, so I did so. I was able to re-use the wing walkway stickers by removing them carefully, sanding any foam and glue residue off the bottoms, and gluing them back on the wings after my repaint.

August
to remove ads between posts
Oct 19, 2017, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K5083
I have repainted a lot of micros ... .
As I've said many times before, you do great work, August.

Do you apply a primer coat to get a good even base color, and if so what brand?

Gene K
Oct 19, 2017, 12:00 PM
Oh! Just love model
Thanks for the praise, Gene. As to primers, it depends on the original color and what color I am applying. On the F4F, the original blue and gray were pretty good primer colors. Generally, yellow and red require a white undercoat or they look muddy, so I used Tamiya white surface primer on the wings. I did not prime the tail under the green, but perhaps I should have; it might have covered better than the green and let me use fewer coats overall. It also might have protected the foam; the Krylon green that I used turned out to be hotter than the other paints and caused minor pitting on the foam surface, especially in the unprotected white portions of the tail stripes, which I had to smooth with spackle. I never bother to prime under silver because silver covers well.

August
Oct 19, 2017, 01:14 PM
Slow is the go!
Thread OP
I agree re the weight of paint thing, I think it is marginal, really enjoyed
that Wildcat and the Flying Fortress very precise paint jobs, airbrush
I presume?
Oct 19, 2017, 01:40 PM
Oh! Just love model
No, those were both rattle can spray paint. I used to airbrush more, but I've found that on these large (compared to plastic) models, with careful masking, I can usually get the results I want out of a spray can with more convenience, if I can find the right colors.

August
Oct 19, 2017, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Yes, the stock paint schemes are one thing I dislike about all RTFs and prepainted ARFs. They're almost invariably inaccurate in some way that irritates me, and even when they aren't, they just are not the paint scheme I would choose. I have to admit the stock scheme on the Wildcat was well executed and I wouldn't have minded leaving it alone, except there was this awesome 1940 scheme out there.

I generally don't strip the existing paint because I find it ruins the foam surface. Sometimes I don't even remove the stickers, although in this case the UMX stickers were thick and would have looked ugly under a coat of paint, so I did so. I was able to re-use the wing walkway stickers by removing them carefully, sanding any foam and glue residue off the bottoms, and gluing them back on the wings after my repaint.

August
I understand... Makes sense.

If I do another repaint I don't think I will attempt to strip off the old paint. With my Champ, I pulled off the paint with packing tape. Then I wet sanded it and primed with a light grey. Wet sanded the primer then applied the cream. By the time I did all that it probably weighed as much as if I had just lightly primed it and painted the top coat.

For me, it was way more about a scale representation of an actual plane than the flying characteristics. I wanted to fly it to prove to myself I could actually do it. I wish it flew better than it does, but I achieved what I set out to do.

If I do another re-paint I will again prioritize scale looks over flight handling. I guess the plastic scale modeler in me from my childhood wins out in these kind of projects!
Oct 19, 2017, 04:20 PM
I hope to try to convert a HH umx Stearman to a Stearman C3R this winter. In order to do it I will need to extend the nose a little bit. I hope the added length plus the extra out-rigger main gear will help keep the cg from moving too much. My biggest concern is that I will have to shorten the lower wing to get the length right. I don't know how that will affect it in flight. Time will tell. If I try this it won't be until after Christmas.
Oct 19, 2017, 04:39 PM
Oh! Just love model
Well, your Champ is in a different class than my kitty. Just from the photos I've been admiring for months, I can see that you achieved a finish worthy of a display model on it. I've never even aimed for that kind of finish on a foamie repaint, although I've sometimes come closer than I have with this Cat. If I was going for your quality level, I would definitely strip the paint and use a primer to create a consistent surface.

August
Oct 19, 2017, 05:28 PM
Wow, you guys are way above my pay sale when it comes to paint jobs. I try to use as many decals as I can so I don't mess up the paint job too much.
Oct 19, 2017, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Well, your Champ is in a different class than my kitty. Just from the photos I've been admiring for months, I can see that you achieved a finish worthy of a display model on it. I've never even aimed for that kind of finish on a foamie repaint, although I've sometimes come closer than I have with this Cat. If I was going for your quality level, I would definitely strip the paint and use a primer to create a consistent surface.

August
Thank you for the kind words!! I have admired your work over the years and it means a lot!

I think your mods & repaints are top-notch! That Wildcat is really attractive! I love the early 40's navy schemes. They were so colorful!

Your finishes look very nice! I'm glad to hear silver covers well. If I do the C3R I will paint over the blue fuselage. I need to find the right silver. The actual airplane is more of a grey-silver than an aluminum silver.

Also, I've seen in your other builds a lot of scratch building. Where do you find your depron for scratch building? I'm using egg carton foam, but would like to find something thinner. I haven't found much, and what I have found is very expensive.
Oct 19, 2017, 09:15 PM
Custom User Name Title
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Winger
Thank you for the kind words!! I have admired your work over the years and it means a lot!

I think your mods & repaints are top-notch! That Wildcat is really attractive! I love the early 40's navy schemes. They were so colorful!

Your finishes look very nice! I'm glad to hear silver covers well. If I do the C3R I will paint over the blue fuselage. I need to find the right silver. The actual airplane is more of a grey-silver than an aluminum silver.

Also, I've seen in your other builds a lot of scratch building. Where do you find your depron for scratch building? I'm using egg carton foam, but would like to find something thinner. I haven't found much, and what I have found is very expensive.
Good luck, mano..... the company that makes depron no longer does so in hobby quality / thicknesses. Flooring underlayment only (which is what its originally intended purpose is)

Oct 19, 2017, 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128
Good luck, mano..... the company that makes depron no longer does so in hobby quality / thicknesses. Flooring underlayment only (which is what its originally intended purpose is)

Bummer!

Guess I'll keep hoarding egg cartons
Oct 19, 2017, 10:36 PM
Oh! Just love model
I have been using Electrifly Pro-Formance from Tower Hobbies lately. It comes in all thicknesses and while not the same as depron, once you get used to it you can do most anything with it. I still have some depron in my stash as well. Where I need blocks rather than sheets, packing styrofoam and pink or blue insulation foam have their uses.

August
Oct 19, 2017, 10:46 PM
Custom User Name Title
Quote:
I have been using Electrifly Pro-Formance from Tower Hobbies lately. It comes in all thicknesses and while not the same as depron, once you get used to it you can do most anything with it. I still have some depron in my stash as well. Where I need blocks rather than sheets, packing styrofoam and pink or blue insulation foam have their uses.

August
The pro-formance is what I'll probably get once (if??) my supply of 1mm depron runs out. But my gosh that stuff is so expensive

I still have 1mm Depron, 3mm Depron, and some 9mm Depron left.

Like you if I need bigger or thicker pieces, I have a lot of blue fan fold foam (fff) left. I also purchased some model plane foam from modelplanefoam.com. Those guys are great, and the foam is superb. The Snice Slick in my blog was 100% model plane foam. It's a higher quality, better consistency, better finished white foam from Adams, same people that make the readi-board from dollar tree. Pricing is good, and they also sell some accessories like pultruded carbon fiber rods.

On the topic of this thread, I'm all over the place with my projects, but watching a movie tonight I stripped some more paint off of my UMX F-16. I think it's at a point where I can go ahead and start getting the paint together. I've never been a big fan of the Thunderbirds scheme. I am going to paint it like one of the Belgian Tigers. Likely will be the gray paint job, with homebrew decals for the coloring and stripes. I have some decal paper for inkjets, and I've used it on several projects and it works very nicely.
Oct 19, 2017, 11:06 PM
Oh! Just love model
My depron supplier has been rcfoam.com and they still seem to have it, but I have been weaning myself off it in anticipation of it going away. I don't find Pro-Formance too expensive, but then micros don't use much.

That would be a cool F-16 look.

August

Quick Reply